Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Other People's Things » Books and Print Comics

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:54 pm 
This user has been published! Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Here for the 10th Anniversary
I would personally love to hear Rob's opinion on:
Twilight PlanetFall
Don't know where he'd get a cheap copy though, I only have my one copy, and amazon is selling them used for $217 (amazes me the price for the book is so high now that it's been out of print a few years). I think I might be a bit biased in my choice though...

The Battle for Gloom Island has begun! See what our map-maker does when not busy making maps!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:20 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    If you liked Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, I'd highly recommend the Round House by Louise Erdrich. A bit more mature content than Diary, it's reminiscent of To Kill a Mockingbird but with a strong exposure to Ojibwe culture and issues.

Also, The Great Leader, by Jim Harrison. A faux-mystery, darkly comic, The Great Leader follows a retired Michigan police detective on a quest to solve one last case--catching a dangerous cult leader, following him across the country. The pace is patient and contemplative, the prose fantastic. Themes of aging, purpose, and wrestling with one's vices permeate the book.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:27 pm 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Underground Airline. No civil war and there remain 4 slave states.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:28 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    I have three books I'd like to recommend. All are the first in a series.

Clash of Eagles, by David Smale
    Rome never fell, and now the empire is coming to the new world. Of course, the new world is already well populated by complex societies, and they aren't keen to become Roman provinces. It's a real 'clash of civilizations' kind of story, and I enjoyed following the protagonist's attempts to build a place for himself in an alien society. The subsequent books do a great job of raising the stakes as the protagonist starts to make more of a home in Nova Hesperia.

Dark Eden, by Chris Beckett
    On an alien world, the great-grandchildren of a group of spacefaring castaways try to live according to the tenants set down by their ancestors, risking ecological and social collapse by doing so. This one was a lot of fun to read because it was like being present for the first telling of a creation myth, or the first days of a schism between orthodox and reformist clerics.

Sword of the Bright Lady, by Max Planck
    Oh man. Remember Captain N, the Game Master? Regular dude gets transported into the world of videogames? That's what SofBL reminds me of. This one I think you might be most interested in, because Planck has done a solid job building a world that is ready to be turned into a pen-and-paper RPG. Hell, reading it, I think that's what he really wants to do.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:20 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Pretty much anything by Edward John Moreton Drax Plunkett, 18th Baron of Dunsany, better known as "Lord Dunsany".

I would particularly recommend The Gods of Pegana and The Book of Wonder; both are in the public domain and can be easily found on the Net - I believe gutenberg.org has them. The first is an attempt to make from scratch a complete mythology, the second is a deconstruction of mythological tales, and they're both fantastic. And fairly short!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:10 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    I'd suggest Acorna the Unicorn Girl series. Seven books, sci-fi space setting, very engaging.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:26 am 
    According to a student reading is very important, in order to write their assignment task it is relevent to read. But students like read books like story,novels etc. You can search for good book and read it

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:18 pm 
    "Hyperion" and "The Fall of Hyperion" by Dan Simmons.

I have no idea if you have come across these before or not. These follow seven people on a pilgrimage to the see Shrike on a distant planet. The first book, Hyperion, tells the stories of how each person came to be on the trip (very much like a collection of short stories) and the second book concludes with the interaction with the Shrike. The work alludes to the poem of the same name by Keats.

I cannot recommend these highly enough, not just to Rob but to anyone that has a love of science fiction and of reading.

Ootagooto

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Other People's Things » Books and Print Comics