Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Your Things » Fiction, Poetry and Essays

Post subject: Re: Prehendo Victoria
 Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:40 am 
Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
The four ICEY 130s flew in a tight formation, soaring over the thinning forest hexes. Though he couldn't see them through the small windows, Tyrin knew the other three were out there, as well as GroundRunner's starfighter. "Entering enemy hex now." The pilot called back. Immediately the plane shook as it began firing. Tyrin concentrated, focusing on his units. Without real sight outside the plane, he couldn't tell exactly what was going on, but the slowly dropping hits of the four ICEYs was clear enough there was ground fire.

General GroundRunner appeared in his mind. "We are taking heavy fire. The tower is heavily fortified and has many heavy ranged units. I will draw their fire."

Tyrin moved to the cockpit of the plane. Out of the front window he could see the hell of the battlefield play out. The city's tower was being bombarded by the ICEYs, but the planes were taking just as many hits. As if the ground fire was attracted by his thoughts, the plane shook hard.

"Left engine is hit." The pilot said. "Sir, we're going to have to turn back, we're leaking a lot of fuel."

"Hold your course, pilot." Tyrin said. "We need all these troops here."

"With respect, sir, if we get shot down then there won't be any troops surviving on this craft." An alarm sounded in the cockpit. "Left engine is on fire. Sir, if we don't leave we are going to go down."

"Drop the ramp." Tyrin said, and the gunner hit a switch to drop the ramp. "Land this thing, use the guns to keep enemy forces away from it. When we take the city we can repair the plane."

"Aye, sir." The pilot frantically hit some switches.

"Stay safe." Tyrin said, heading for the back. The ramp was down, and five tinuit soldiers with kieshus strapped to them were standing on its edge. "See you at the bottom." He said, and they began to leap off the edge. Tyrin stood at the edge of the ramp. He felt the plane begin to tilt, and jumped. Looking back, he saw the engine burning fiercely, and there were a lot of holes in the wings and hull. He saw GroundRunner's fighter fly tightly around the tower, then the General leapt out of the craft before it landed hard on the parapet. A bright beam of blue light leapt from his hand, the weapon on his hip was some sort of light-powered sword. He bisected enemy archers, kicking and cutting left and right. The Jade Eyes were surely a powerful lot. At least they were on his side....for now.

Last Updated 01/10/2017

Imperial Destiny (My Science Fiction Story) Updated 07/23/2015 (First Page)

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:59 am 
    Rime sent a spray of blood into the air as Tyrin slashed a throat out of an Espagnian soldier. This city was far more fortified than his reconnaissance had led him to believe. Two of the ICEY-130s were downed, and the other two would have to retreat soon or face the same fate. GroundRunner had done a number on the heavy archers on the tower, but a seemingly endless stream of shockamancy was still firing from it. A few more ICEY hits, and the tower would fall, but it was all up to fate now.

A mental check on his units showed of the forty mixed troops dropped, ten kieshus and eight tinuit infantry were alive. GroundRunner had disappeared, but Tyrin was sure the mighty Jade Eye was still alive. Tyrin himself had several stinging wounds, but he would be fine. He couldn't see any other enemies nearby, so he made a sprint for the tower. Several near misses by arrows indicated that there were still some archers around, but he left his troops to handle them. He felt pulled into the tower, like someone had a string attached to him and was reeling it in. This feeling pulled him down the steps into the dungeons below. It was dank and musty. He was slowly pulled down the hallway to the third cell on the left. He carefully opened the door, and saw GroundRunner, suspended in the air by some sort of blue energy, barely conscious.

"Don't....." He said as Tyrin approached. "...trap...."

A familiar laugh from behind made Tyrin turn, Rime at the ready. In the doorway was the carnymancer he had faced off against all those turns ago. This time, his gaudy clothes were replaced with a black robe, similar in most ways to the Jade Eye's garb.

"This is too much of a prize. First, the chosen one, and now the real prize walks into my trap."

"Surrender now and I won't cut you apart bit by bit." Tyrin said, levelling Rime at the carnymancer.

"Oh, my dear Regus, why would I surrender to you?" His eyes glowed red. "Its my duty as a deletionist to remove you from existence. And I will delete you." He raised his hands and lightning shot from them. Tyrin intercepted it with Rime, the mighty sword absorbing the energy.

"My name is Tyrin." Tyrin sent the energy back at the carnymancer. The force of the blast sent him through the doorway and broke the door across the hallway.

"I see you have found a useful trick..." he said, slowly climbing to his feet. "Tricks are my department." He threw his cloak at Tyrin, blinding him momentarily. As he threw the cloak to the ground, the carnymancer was running down the hallway towards a masonry wall.

"Wrong way, carnymancer." Tyrin said, following him. "There is no way out there."

"For me, there is always a way out." He reached into his pocket and threw something at the wall. Black paint appeared all over the wall in the shape of a tunnel. The carnymancer disappeared into the paint, like it had been a real tunnel instead of a drawing. Tyrin reached the wall seconds later, but it was indeed solid stone. He cursed, and as if on cue, the city became an IceVale city.

Tyrin returned to the cell and released GroundRunner from his restraints. He would survive, and be good as new in the morning. For now, they had to regroup and rearm. The carnymancer knowing that he was here meant a lot of bad things would be coming their way. Jackson approached leading a handful of Espangian archers he had captured. "Sir, does the general need assistance?"

"No, he will be fine." Tyrin sat down heavily on a bench in the cell, the weight of the near future weighing heavily on him. "What is the status of the city?"

"Banged up, but not horrible. The air assault means the outer walls are more or less intact, they took some stray ICEY shots. The Dungeons are untouched..." He looked at the broken door across the hall. "Almost untouched, and the tower is damaged but still intact and at full juice."

"How is it at full juice, its been shooting all day."

"One of the prisoners said the carnymancer changed the rules so that one particular air defense spell didn't cost any juice. That's the only spell that was being fired."

"I'm not sure it works like that, but we have a tower with full charge, so I won't question it. Casualties?"

"Twelve dead kieshus, three badly wounded, five lightly wounded. Twelve dead stabbers, four critically wounded, four badly wounded, including myself. Two ICEYs were shot down, but one may be recoverable. Crew survived on both. The two left in the air are badly damaged, one lost its pilot, the other lost its chief gunner. GroundRunner's fighter and golem are both okay."

"Very good, Jackson. Get the defenses ready for a counter-attack."

Last Updated 01/10/2017

Last edited by tigerusthegreat on Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:00 pm 
    Five turns of heavy attacks and bombardment had left Barabon only a city in name. They had cannibalized two of the downed ICEY's guns for defensive emplacements, and GroundRunner and Tyrin made frequent raids into the enemy camp to wreck as much siege as possible. They met more and more resistance each time, this last turn not even making it to the siege, but slaughtering a stack of heavies instead. More and more of the enemy troops were metal golems, bipedal and almost human but with odd cylinder heads, and an annoying grating voice when they spoke. A few even had command abilities, surely this was more carnymancy. Rime and the Jade Eye's weapon had little trouble cutting through them, but their sheer numbers were astonishing.

"Where do these keep coming from?" GroundRunner asked, cutting one of the attacking golems in half. "There's no way they have enough cities to keep popping these."

"My guess is the carnymancer has something to do with it." Tyrin said, launching lightning from Rime. He was strong enough now to channel the spell directly into Rime each morning, with a little juice left over, but he felt it best to keep people thinking the sword was casting the few spells he used. "Down!" He threw himself to the ground as the area erupted with an explosion. The enemy siege was firing indiscriminately, not caring if their own units were hit as long as they inflicted damage on the defenders. "We can't hold this." He fled back to the gun emplacements, GroundRunner close behind.

"Suppressing Fire!" Jackson yelled, and the handful of remaining units fired at the golems following Tyrin. The Tinuit soldiers had quickly commandeered the enemy's weapons, which fired a modified Hoboken. They didn't have much charge, but discarded blasters were in ready supply on this battlefield.

"Status, Jackson?" Tyrin asked, sheathing Rime in a fluid motion. It was not nearly the convenience of GroundRunner's energy sword, which could be turned off and clipped to his belt, but even when magic failed, Rime was still a sword.

"These three and one in each turret are it, sir. We have ten rounds for each turret. We had a couple ICEYs raid the enemy camp on our turn, but it doesn't look like they did enough."

"Kieshus?" He asked, but the lack of a stack bonus on any of the soldiers told him the truth as sure as Jackson's head shaking. "Okay, keep everyone down and keep the golems at bay as best you can. GroundRunner and I will go out for another diversion shortly." Tyrin sat down hard against the defensive pile of rubble. The math said that they should be winning this war easily simply because of the power of the ICEYs and Rime. The massive amount of enemy troops told another story. He closed his eyes for a moment before the scream of more incoming rounds woke him. The sky had darkened a lot, and he wondered how long he had slept. Looking around, there were now only Jackson and one other Tinuit firing. The rest were huddled in heaps where they had been standing. Looking over the parapet, GroundRunner was cutting a swath through the enemy troops, and then disappeared into their mass. The glowing blue of his blade disappeared.

Tyrin stood slowly. The rage of the battle around him thundered in his head as well, as if the entire battlefield was just a projection of his own mind. Jackson's face boiled away as two blaster shots connected between his eyes. The other tinuit raised his hands in surrender, but was gunner down too. He felt the chill of Rime in his hands.

"No, sire, you aren't ready..." The crown on his head spoke softly. The few times she spoke to him lately she grew fainter and fainter, as if her hold on the real world was fading. Tyrin didn't care. This battlefield was wrong and he would right it. First was GroundRunner's sword. It didn't belong on the ground, but instead in Tyrin's hand. As if the thought summoned it, it flew from the mass of enemies and into his outstretched hand. He ignited it, holding the blue beam in a reverse grip, and swinging Rime with one hand. He was a whirlwind of death, scattering golem parts to the winds. Rime spewed lightning and fire readily, as if charged from thousands of spells. The golems kept coming, and Tyrin and Rime kept slaying them. A mountain of golem parts was growing around the city.

Tyrin felt himself start to slip away. It began with dimming of his vision, everything went gray. Another explosion of fire, and the edges began to black out of his site. Lightning arced across the battlefield, and the world sounded like it was miles away. A dozen golems ripped apart by sheer telepathy, and he stumbled to one knee. An explosion of energy and force to send the gathering golems away, and he couldn't get up. He stumbled again, and crashed to the ground. Rime and the energy sword flying from his grasp and the world fading completely to black.

Last Updated 01/10/2017

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:39 am 
    Chapter 6: The Great War

Tyrin woke. His whole body was numb, and he felt weightless. The world around him was blue and bubbly, as if he was in some sort of weird champagne. Outside the blue, there were figures watching him. He touched his face, and found some sort of mask. He was suspended in some sort of liquid, and the mask was allowing him to breathe. He felt a tug on the mask, and looked up. There was an opening with another figure standing there. He swam up, ready to spring on the figure if it was hostile.

"Are you feeling better, Lord Tyrin?" The figure asked. Blinking the blue liquid out of his eyes, he recognized Binowa from the thinkagram. If a Jade Eye was here that meant the city had held, somehow. "We saw the remnants of the fight. You managed to destroy all the enemy forces that could reach the city before succumbing to your injuries. Had we not arrived at the start of the turn, you would not have made it." The memory of the fight was hazy at best. Tyrin touched his head, and found something missing.

"Where is my crown?" He asked. The odd sensations of the liquid had dulled his mind to the missing sensations of flame and ice around his temples. "And Rime and my other gear?"

"Lost, the ice crown was. Melted it has." A small, hunched figure said. The cloak he wore and energy sword at his belt showed his status as a Jade Eye. "Safe, your weapon is."

"Lord, Tyrin, this is Master Doay, he is the eldest of our order, and our most powerful Jade Eye Master." Tyrin nodded to the small Jade Eye. He finally took the opportunity to look around. Dozens of soldiers in silver armor milled about. More airships, similar to his ICEYs but with lighter turrets, flew around the area, dropping off supplies and troops. There were also a dozen Jade Eyes performing various tasks.

"Master Binowa, I thought you said the Republic had no army. This appears to be a well equipped one."

"These are mercenaries from Nikoma. When I was investigating the assassination, we came across the Nikomans who happened to have a well equipped army ready to sell us. Apparently one of our Jade Eye Masters visited them many turns ago and commissioned the army. Very strange, but fortunate that we had them."

"Fortunate indeed for young Lord Tyrin it is. Without the chrome troopers help, certainly dead would he be."

"How is General GroundRunner? Did he survive?"

"My apprentice was only knocked out by the enemy. They wanted to take him prisoner it seems. His pride is injured, but it deserved a good knocking around to trim it to size. He will survive."

"I'm glad to hear it." He mentally ordered Melody and the Doctor to head to the city as quickly as possible. "I'll have a dirtamancer here before the end of the turn. We can fortify the city and begin making plans for another offensive."

Last Updated 01/10/2017

Last edited by tigerusthegreat on Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:53 am 
    "Golem Foundries these are. Purchased at great expense, the Espangians have." Master Doay said, pointing to an image of a small wheeled building being displayed by a strange magic device. "Capable of producing a large number of golems each turn, they are. Require a city they do not."

"We've seen them before, hundreds of turns ago. The legends are unclear, but from the counts of troops you have provided, we believe they have ten of these, with at least five in close proximity to this city." Master Binowa said. "We've identified two possible locations where these foundries could be located, and are dispatching troops to take them out."

"They have a carnymancer...I've faced him before. He is extremely powerful, and should not be trifled with." Regus was sitting nearby. Despite the healamancy he had received, he was still exhausted. He knew he had overextended his abilities, and it had nearly cost him his life. It was worth it, however.....he had felt what it was like to have reality bend to his will. He had felt the full power of being a retconjurer for the first time. He enjoyed it, and he wanted more.

"Prepared our troops for this eventuality we have. Escape the carnymancer will not."

"I hope you are right."

---------

Tyrin's dreams were full of conflict. He felt the eyes of the world turned to this battered city. His brief transformation had drawn the attention of the entire deletionist cult, from the carnymancer to the other shadowy figures he had not yet uncovered. His inroads into Espangia had drawn the ire of Vatima, who, for reasons unknown to Tyrin, was now allied with their former enemies. Lady Anex's visage flashed in his mind. Soon he would face his lost love on the battlefield. Soon he would be forced to kill her, or die by her hand.

Last Updated 01/10/2017

Last edited by tigerusthegreat on Tue May 26, 2015 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:15 pm 
    Tyrin watched from the forested hill as the small formation of Chrome Trooper Assault Ships and ICEY-130's screamed in over the neighboring clearing hex. Within that hex were three long brown boxelike vehicles on large wheels. They were each about a quarter the size of a small city and were continuously spewing out golems. Explosions began to rain down from the ICEY's as they began circling, and rockets screamed down from the Assault Ships. The Golem Foundries shuddered with the force of the blows, but they still produced golems. On the edge of the enemy encampment, long rods rose from the ground and began tracking the circling ships. They began spewing shockamancy, thankfully missing the ships in the first volley.

"That's our cue." Tyrin said, drawing Rime in a swift motion. It had been two turns of planning and recuperation, but he was still exhausted. Somehow he could still cast with a large amount of juice, for him at least, but doing so taxed him far greater than it once had. He led his small assault force down the slope of the hill. Across the hex, a larger assault force was hitting the perimeter shortly ahead of them, and chaos was beginning to reign inside the camp. A dozen kieshus howled from the other side, and Meeko and Misha answered them, empowering the small force with their morale bonus.

Their way was only briefly barred by a group of Espangian soldiers, living units not golems. Faced by an elite stack led by an overlord, they did not last long. They quickly reached one of the anti-air towers, as the tower shot and hit an assault ship, which exploded in a ball of flame. "Sweetie, do your thing. I'll make sure we're covered." Melody said to the Doctor, taking the two kieshus and two Chrome Trooper medics to set up a perimeter.

The Doctor removed a small metal wand out of his coat pocket and looked at it. All sorts of probes and prongs extended from it before they snapped back into the device. He held down a button and started waving it at the tower, the wand glowing in a blue light. "This should only take a minute."

"I think your...companion...is enjoying herself." Tyrin said as Melody shot a golem in the head. Most of the enemy forces were focused on the other side of the hex, but more than a handful of the plentiful golems had noticed them. "She's so different from you, how did you ever meet?"

"Its very complicated." The Doctor was clearly concentrating very hard on his work. "I travelled for a time with her parents....well they weren't her parents then but they would be...and because she was popped on my TARDIS, she has an affinity similar to mine. She appears from turn to turn, sometimes a dozen turns after disappearing, sometimes hundreds. We chase each other through the multiverse, sometimes when we meet I meet her earlier than we I left her, or she meets me much later than when I met her. The hard part is keeping the fabric of the universe stable by not revealing too much. Anything that has happened must happen....in a way at least." He gave a small knowing grin, and the wand turned off. "No no no no no no no!" He looked at the wand and shook it, finally banging it against the tower. The light turned on and blinked twice. "Yes! We're in."

Tyrin pointed to the other towers around the clearing. "Have at them." The tower they stood by slowly rotated and the shockamancy lanced out against the tower, exploding it. Soon the third tower in the hex joined it, blowing apart with the powerful bolt. "Now we call in the real air cover." Tyrin issued mental commands, and new ships screamed in. FROSTIE-130s, a new variant of the all purpose ICEY-130s, screamed in. Unlike their predecessors, these ships were more heavily armed, but lightly armored. Their guns started firing, shredding the golem foundries, dealing more damage in a single hit than the other ships had done so far. Shots landed among stacked golems, leaving only burn marks in the dirt in their wake. The planes were very powerful, but their light armor made this sortie necessary. "Let's do some cleanup work."

Last Updated 01/10/2017

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:10 pm 
    There were still two Golem Foundries nearby, but the destruction of three of them had severely depleted the enemy's ability to field new troops in the rapid fashion they had been. It was a new kind of warfare, mass producing units like that. The Doctor's analysis of the foundries found them rife with carnymancy and dollamancy. This carnymancer was bending and breaking all sorts of rules, which made him very dangerous.

As if his thoughts summoned the image, that carnymancer appeared before Tyrin's eyes. It was merely a thinkagram, but it was startling nonetheless.

"You have forced my hand, Regus the Great. I have called in a few favors, and you will soon be reunited with you lady love. Saddly, it will not be a happy reunion, as she will do her best to kill you, per the agreement that stopped your former side from being destroyed."

"As I recall, we were forcing your alliance back on every front. You threw up a fortress town to try to stop us and we obliterated it. Besides, do you think Vatima can withstand the might I've arrayed here? Myself with Rime alone could wipe out the stacks I used to think powerful."

"Your former side is much more powerful and prosperous than what you knew. They've poppe several casters, now that fate is not being manipulated to prevent it. Their units have been altered accordingly."

"I was hoping you'd call me, carnymancer. Especially at the start of my turn. You know of the Jade-eye, yes?"

"Yes, filthy creatures with unnatural spell-like abilities."

"Then it shouldn't surprise you that they can trace thinkamancy calls and find the hex you are in. We will see you soon." Unsurprisingly, the thinkamancy connection stopped, but the damage was done. Master Doay sat before a map of the peninsula, a slowly shrinking ball of blue hovering above it.

"There. Found him, I have. In range he is." The Jade-eye master said without opening his eyes.

"Let's send him a little present. Maybe he'll have the other two foundries with him." The location was fairly close, perhaps close enough that the caster had used his own juice to cast the thinkamancy spell. Which would mean he was drained and unready for a sudden counterattack. Tyrin could always hope. He would have to deal with the Vatima problem afterwards.

Last Updated 01/10/2017

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:16 pm 
    The golems the enemy was building were oddly intelligent for constructs. They had been able to adapt to every strategy arrayed against them, to the point that doing the same thing twice was inefficient and three times was suicidal. Somehow, even obliterating their entire stack, or every unit in the hex, had not prevented knowledge of their tactics from leaking out. The Doctor had referred to it as the Collective Conciousness, a sort of artificial thinkamancy web. That just made the entire concoction of dollomancy, thinkamancy and carnymancy even more twisted and knotted than even Tyrin could imagine. It made some sense, though, because a carnymancer would twist every rule he could to have his way. He had already done so many times.

"Two minutes out. Switch over." The chrome trooper pilot called back. Tyrin had to focus his attention on the unit, as he seemed to melt into the sky, along with the rest of the airship. The Doctor had called it an Another's Problem Field, tying into the mind's tendency to avoid thinking about things that were someone else's responsibility. Since the golems had a rudimentary mind, the effect would work on them as well. He had shrouded the transports and the few FROSTIEs they had available. To the enemy, the forces coming in would appear to be very light, mostly comprised of chrome trooper gunships. It wouldn't be until after the heavy guns opened up and the ground troops deployed that the real fun would begin.

The noise of the engines changed as the side doors opened up and the wind came whipping in. Meeko and Misha had been left behind in favor of a pair of chrome trooper medics. The fighting would be heavy, and the stack bonus wouldn't be nearly as useful as healamancy. The hex border came up quickly, and Tyrin could see the fighting up ahead. The air defense towers were firing on the gunships in the hex already, knocking one out of the air in a fireball. There were seemingly millions of golems on the field below, and even when rockets exploded among them, more took their place. At the center of it all, sitting cross-legged in a trance was the carnymancer.

"Think its a trap?" Tyrin asked the Doctor.

"Well.....most certainly." He said with a smile. "Allons-y." And he dove the last ten feet to the ground, landing solidly on a golem, and ripping its head off. He waved his wand at the decapitated head, and the golems all around him started firing on one another, clearing a landing space for the rest of the troops. Tyrin landed beside him a moment later, crouching to absorb the impact, and Melody landed as gracefully as a cat.

"He does love to show off." She said, winking at him.

"You didn't seem to complain when...."

"Spoilers." She grinned, and led a detachment of troopers towards the nearest tower.

---------

Tyrin was feelings back up to his full strength now. No....it was different. He felt better than his full strength. He felt like he could command the mountains to move and they would. He felt like a Titan, astride the world, commanding it to do his bidding. The Doctor's trick with the golems had inspired him. A golem could not be easily turned, but these were not golems, they were intelligent. Tyrin didn't need to turn them, just get them to see things a little differently. A small amount of foolamancy was easy and required almost none of his power. He now had a virtual bodyguard of enemy troops, and when he lost a few, that was a few more golems he did not have to kill. They cut a swathe through the enemy towards the carnymancer, and more importantly, drew golems away from the Doctor and Melody.

Tyrin felt something strange in Rime....a resonance. The magic in the air was more powerful than anything he had felt before. Rime was drinking it in....it was...wrong. It felt like the opposite of everything he was doing with his own powers. It was certainly carnymancy....trying to cheat the rules of the game, instead of simply rewriting them. Tyrin had a surprise for the carnymancer, and Rime was singing with it.

He reached the carnymancer's bodyguard as the first tower sunk into the earth and exploded. That one was Melody's work. Why destroy the tower when you can bury it? He hadn't expected it to fire into the ground and explode, though. He was sure the dirtamancer was alright. The Doctor, on the other hand, had a number of small wounds. His tower had not yet stopped firing, though it certainly hadn't hit anything in a while. A bright light passing over his shoulder brought Tyrin to the present, and Rime sliced the blaster neatly in two. His golem bodyguard had long since disappeared into the scrap heap, and he was too focused on the fight to trick more into joining him. Fire wreathed the parapet, leaving only Tyrin and the carnymancer.

"Foolish for you to come here, Retconjurer." The carnymancer said, unmoving. "You feel the resonance of this place? Your magic is unwelcome here."

"My magic is working fine." Tyrin pointed Rime to the carnymancer's throat. "Your foundries are done, I don't see any new golems on the field." The air fleet had reduced the foundries to rubble. "You are a sad little caster, your threats are meaningless."

"And your arrogance is amusing." A green haze settled around both of them, and Tyrin felt his strength ebb out of him. His juice was there, but beyond his reach. "This clearing is sacred to the order of the deletionists, and the order of carnies. Your power is meaningless here, and I'll delete you once and for all." He began to pace in front of Tyrin, who had fallen to his knees, barely keeping Rime in his grip. "You've fallen into every trap I've set, but you won't escape this one. The very rules of this battlefield make you mine, and without your magic, your friends cannot overcome all my remaining golems."

Tyrin felt dizzy. Something the carnymancer said stuck in his mind....the rules of this place....what use did a carnymancer have for rules....they cheated every rule they could...

"I think I'll make your Lady Anex watch you die. First, though, I'll lock your abilities away permanently." He cackled. "See ove there? Your Doctor is barely holding back my golems....and his dear dirtamancer is down to two chrome troopers. A pity, I hoped they would be more sporting."

Anger was no longer part of him. Tyrin felt only a calm certainty. This place was rife with carnymancy, but it also had a firm and solid rule. Retconjurers couldn't cast here....their magic did not work here....carnymancy, however, was emporered here....and carnymancy was about breaking rules. Rime sang to him the song of the carny. His grip tightened on the hilt.

"I spit on your rules." Tyrin said, and rose to his feet. He felt the world shift around him. Rime cheated. It made this sacred place forget that he, Tyrin, King of Icevale and Lord of King's Landing, was a retconjurer. "You are a sad carny, to rely on a rule to save you." The fear was evident in the carnymancer's face as Tyrin's power rose in him. "You don't deserve to be one." He lashed out deftly with his retconjurer's skill. He made two small changes in the carny, and one large on in the clearing itself. Now this place empowered Retconjuration, it was a focus for his power, which would be useful in the next few turns.

"What have you done to me!" the former carnymancer screamed. "My spells....my juice...I can't see the flows anymore...."

"You are a stabber, of course you can't use magic." Tyrin laughed. "And until I deign to change it, you have always been and always will be just a stabber."

His screams of agony filled the clearing.

Last Updated 01/10/2017

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:07 am 
    Chapter 7: Star Crossed

The carnymancer, who after much interrogation gave his name as Barnone, was a very tough nut to crack. Even stripped of every ounce of his caster-ness, he resisted every attempt to probe information out of him.

"If you cooperate I will consider returning you to the way you were." Tyrin said. They were flying over the mountains back to KingsLanding. "I just want to know what surprises your deletionist friends have in store for me."

"Why would I tell you anything? You will just keep me as a pet, turning me into whatever you want, a filthy retconjurer's puppet." He was still a stabber, disarmed and restrained.

"What do you think the end game is for you? Even if your friends rescue you, you are damaged goods. Touched by the taint of a retconjurer, transformed into a mere stabber. They won't welcome you back, and they will probably kill you to remove any stain of my work."

Barnone was visibly distressed by this. "I won't help you. You are meddling in power the Titans reserved for themselves."

Tyrin hit a button and the ramp lowered on the back of the ICEY. He bodily hefted Barnone to the edge of the ramp. "You really are useless to me, then." He made a swift stroke with Rime, decapitating the former carnie. His head flew down into the mountains below, and after a minute, Tyrin kicked the body off the ramp to join it. He wiped Rime clean. "Pilot, route us south. We'll join the strike force."

---------

The vast majority of IceVale's forces were arrayed to the south, fighting Espagn. However, a probing force of Vatima was heading for them. This wouldn't be troubling except that Lady Anex was with them. Tyrin's mind wandered to the opposing Chief Warlord. He wasn't sure how the encounter would go, but he had hopes.

Two stacks of Rangers filled the woods around him. They were forest capable and nearly invisible against the foliage. Meeko and Misha stood beside Tyrin, their white and black coats standing out against the same backdrop. Both growled at the same moment, and Tyrin felt enemy units entering the hex.

A stack of amazons stepped carefully towards him. He made no hostile actions. "I'm here to parley with your leader." He said cautiously. None of the amazons raised a bow, but seven Valkyries and Lady Anex entered the hex next. "There she is. Hello, Lady Anex."

Anex looked him up and down, lips pursed. "You are Lord Tyrin, Overlord of IceVale."

"I am. As you are Lady Anex, Chief Warlord of Vatima."

"Good to know....attack" In a blur a dozen arrows flew at him. One of the rangers threw a small cylinder and it exploded in a flash of light, blinding the enemy. Rime sung, bringing down a handful of the amazons. Focused fire by the Rangers brought down the Valkyries , but not even a hit was taken from Anex. The remaining amazons went down.

"Surrender." Tyrin said, pointing Rime's tip towards Anex. "You are outmatched."

Anex looked from side to side, biting her lip. "They'll come for me. Vatima is allied with three powerful sides, and your kingdom will fall."

"I hope they do." Tyrin said as his troops bound the enemy Chief Warlord. "If they can find you in KingsLanding, they deserve to get you back."

Last Updated 01/10/2017

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:44 am 
    The flight back to KingsLanding was much quieter than the previous one. Anex kept very tightlipped, and Tyrin did not want to goad her too much. She definitely did not recognize him as Regus, and she saw Tyrin of IceVale as a mortal foe. He didn't think things had changed so drastically in her heart, but she was missing a great deal of information.

"Last time I heard of Vatima, it was barely recovered from being reduced to a single city side. Pushed all the way back to its capital, where only a massive dirtamancy bonus kept it alive, without a single friend or caster. Now you have three allied sides, it seems. I do hope you aren't counting on Espangia as one of them, they are quite occupied, in the literal and figurative sense of the word." Over the last two turns, Espangia had been reduced to three cities, with many of the captured towns going to The Republic.

"Your information is quite a bit old. We beat those sides to a standstill and gained allies. Yes, Espangia is one of them, but not our only ally. They will find your KingsLanding and lay waste to it."

"KingsLanding remained undisturbed for thousands of turns. I was shocked that a barbarian warlord was able to find it, and he was special. The rest of your pitiful alliance won't be able to find it, even now that we are active in the world again." His hints at Regus sparked recognition in her eyes. She had not forgotten her lover after all.

"My King won't let his chief warlord remain a prisoner."

"My experiences with King Sixtus the Seventh indicate he definitely would, if the price were right. After all, he sold out one of his own for peace, ignorant of how long it would last and how easily his alliance would be shattered." Tyrin glanced out the window. "Do you recall a carnymancer named Barnone? He was an Espagnian unit, quite the nuisance really." Anex grunted affirmatively. "I'm sure he's depopped by now, but about here is where I cut off his head and threw the remains to the mountains below. Not even a carnie could survive that. I know he was instrumental in your peace accords, and I am not sorry he has left the erf."

"I will not miss him. He was a thorn in my side and a constant reminder that Regus...." she trailed off.

"That you failed to deliver Regus the Great, former warlord of Vatima, and Deletionist target. The warlord that escaped."

"Why are you interrogating me? You seem to know everything that happened."

"Suffice it to say, I know everything Regus knew. When he came to KingsLanding he was starved and moments from death. While Regus could not be saved, his knowledge was passed on. Did Hamratio give you a message from him in the end? Would you have run away with him if he asked?"

"That is not your concern....though things would have been easier if we knew for a fact he was gone. Did he....did he speak of me?"

"You were his greatest light and his greatest fear. He ran into the mountains so you would not be able to follow and his last thoughts were of you." Tyrin did not like the half truth, but Regus was indeed long dead. He was Tyrin of IceVale now, and would always be. "If it eases your mind, he had come to terms with what he was before passing."

"Do you know what exactly he was? He wasn't sure...I wasn't sure...but Barnone said some things...."

"Regus was a retconjurer, and it is amazing that, without any training or tutelage, he survived as long as he did. The deletionists would have you believe his existence a blasphemy, but I believe he was popped to give balance to the world in whatever way he could. I've made it my mission to hunt down and destroy this cult of deletionists, whereever they are, and I started with Barnone."

"From the way he spoke, those...deletionists...are part of almost every side on Erf. Are you going to declare war on the entire world?"

"The night is long and full of terrors." Tyrin said staring at the tower of KingsLanding, now visible outside the windows. "IceVale is a light in the shadows, a beacon to the hopeless. Already we've gathered a Turnlord, and an Archaeologist, allied ourselves with a mighty race of Jade Eyes, and are fielding an airforce the likes of which has not been seen in this part of the world. Prepare yourselves, for IceVale is coming."

Last Updated 01/10/2017

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:46 pm 
    "Is this the part where you convince me to switch sides?" Anex said as the Doctor waved his wand at her. "I'm not feeling particularly disloyal today, just a little cold." The Doctor held the wand in front of his face, and a myriad of steel prongs came out of it for a moment, before retracting back into the device.

"I have no intention on using magic on you, Lady Anex, I'm just curious about a few things." He tucked the wand away, before turning and walking away from the captive Chief Warlord of Vatima. Here in KingsLanding, she wore no chains, the frozen tundra around the city kept her prisoner far better than any restraint or cell. "You, and your Regus, are an interesting turnporable anomaly. Much like Melody and myself, you chase each other through the turn-space continuum, finding each other with regularity. Unlike us, however, you seem to retain no memory of it."

"What do you mean?" Anex said, chasing after him. "We pop, we fight, we die, and we may be graced to live in the Hall of Champions. That is our existence. We don't return to the erf once we've left it....we can't."

"I come from a turn before that Catechism was written." The Doctor said, entering the room that had become his laboratory. Inside was a partially constructed blue box, hooked up to a myriad of wires and lit instruments. [b]"I've accidently created more than a handful of similar religions, but that is not one of mine. The truth, as I have discovered it, is that what you believe is largely true for most of us. Some of us, however, have a different destiny. The bindings of fate hold us closely to the erf. These souls become great heroes, spun out into the web of reality time and time again. I once met a young woman, a shockamancer named Moiraine, who likened this process to a spinning wheel. The Wheel of Turns, she called it. It spun the fabric of reality out of the threads of individual lives. She was an interesting woman, deeply in love with an old carnymancer named Thomas MerryLad."

"I trust the Doctor is not boring you greatly." Tyrin said, walking up behind Anex. Meeko and Misha flanked him, wagging at the sight of the captive warlord. "Come with me, I wish to talk with you."

"Thank you for the company, Doctor." Anex said, and followed Tyrin out. "You and your people are being quite kind to me, despite the fact you killed my soldiers and I'm a captive."

"I know how much that bothers you, and I am sorry, but units have to die from time to time. I've lost my share, princess." He led her to the parapet of the towertop. The kingdom of IceVale stretched below them. "I'm considering letting you go. I will allow a transport to fly you down near the border with Vatima. I don't think you are much of a threat."

"You underestimate me, Overlord." Anex said, grinning. "I believe I know how to reach this city from Vatima. You will have armies at your doorstep if you release me."

"Vatima cannot withstand IceVale, but I don't believe you will leave unless I force you to."

"What do you think you can say to me that will convince me to stay?"

"Simple." He waved to the parapet in front of him, shaping the snow into a SnowMan with dirtamancy. "Not as good as Hamratio, I'm afraid." He then exploded it with a Hoboken. "I think you know who I really am." He couldn't dismiss his Overlord status to return to being Regus the Warlord, but he did the next best thing. For a moment in her mind, he became Regus again. "So. I give you leave to go, if you want. I will not keep you here against your will."

Last Updated 01/10/2017

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:25 am 
    The full force of her slap caused Meeko and Misha to growl, but Tyrin kept them at bay with a mental command. "You.....you.....you said you were dead.....you said that you had died here."

Working his jaw for a moment, Tyrin regained his composure. "Would you have believed me otherwise? Besides, Regus is dead. Only Tyrin exists now." She turned and began walking away. "My offer stands if you wish. I will return you to Vatima without malice."

"I lost you, but hoped you were alive....then you tell me you died....and now to have you back....and you want to send me away. I don't know what to think. I need time to process this." She kept walking, and Tyrin let her.

----------------------------

The small workshop smoked and some loud noises were coming from the blue box in the middle of it. Tyrin glanced around for The Doctor, but he was nowhere to be seen. "Doctor?"

Instead of the Doctor, Melody popped out from inside the blue box, which had a weird appearance on the inside. "He's a little tied up at the moment."

"I have questions when he is available. " Tyrin said and turned to leave.

"She's.....having trouble coming to terms with you. I had the same issue when I met Him. Meeting the one....then coming to odds with him...its hard on a woman. He was stupid and pretended to be dead as well, so don't expect her to be happy with you for a long time. Still....when I was captured by the Battle Priests and held on trial for murdering him, he broke me out on regular occasions."

"For murdering who?"

"The Doctor of course." When Tyrin had a puzzled look, she just smiled. "Spoilers....go to your woman."

Last Updated 01/10/2017

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:40 pm 
    Tyrin found Lady Anex standing on the parapet, an IceVale fur cloak wrapped tightly around her. "The Doctor told me a story. That two crossed lovers chased each other throughout all of the ages. It was quite romantic, but I never thought of the implications of the stories. If I profess that I still love you, Regus, and that I want to be with you, I have to forsake my side. I have to deny my loyalty and refuse my signamancy, for it is that signamancy that is your enemy."

"I'm sorry. If it were up to me, you wouldn't have to make that choice. I brought you here for so you would know what became of me. You are free to go if you want, but I would like you to stay."

She turned to him and he saw the fierce look on her face and the fire in her eyes. "I know you are the Lord of Fire and Flame, you are the Overlord of IceVale. You are Tyrin, and my Regus is gone....changed....I don't know if I can handle that, but I guess I have to, there's no going back." She thought for a moment. "I don't love Tyrin....I don't know Tyrin....but I denounce my allegiance to Vatima. I beg to enter your service." She kneeled in the ice before him. Her prisoner garb briefly changed to the browns of a barbarian.

Tyrin gritted his teeth and put on the barest smiles. "Rise, warlord of IceVale." Her livery changed to the Snow Lion of IceVale, white on a black background. "I cannot make you chief warlord, you understand, Jinra Two-Snows has that honor and is fighting on the front. I welcome your council and companionship."

"As you say, Overlord." She said, looking sadly at the livery. "It will take some time to get used to this...environment. I am a creature of the cities and forests of Vatima."

"You will in time, Lady Anex."

"I'm not the warrior princess anymore.....she died here with Regus the Great." She said sadly. "Let Vatima think Anex fell. Arise instead Warlord Shaesa, bodyguard to Tyrin, Overlord of IceVale."

"So be it, Shaesa. Come. We have much planning to for the campaign against the Deletionists."

Last Updated 01/10/2017

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:04 am 
    Tyrin thought it strange, lying in the massive bed that befit his Overlord status, with Lady Anex....no Shaesa...resting her head on his arm, feigning sleep. For dozens of turns he had wanted this very feeling, but something felt off. He was happy for the first time in those dozen turns, but it wasn't right.

"There is something wrong in the world." He mumbled, getting no response from Shaesa. He laid there thinking for nearly an hour longer, before rising to seek out the Doctor.

-------------------------------------

"The Crown told me a story, of the previous retconjuring incarnation of myself. Before he fell in battle, he covered the world in snow and ice." Tyrin dipped the small breaded piece of meat into a sweet yellow dish of some kind of paste. The rations had popped while he was talking with the Doctor, and he seemed to be eating it with relish. It was odd food, but so were the questions he asked. "That seems like a lot of juice would be needed, to affect the entire world. That would be a large effort over thousands of hexes."

"It seems to me that the problem is not one of juice, but scope. You could manipulate one of the rules of Erf itself, change that, and its effects would be felt in every hex."

"Changing the rules of Erf seems like a daunting task. It would require a massive amount of juice, and a Master class Retconjurer, which I am simply not yet."

"That does sound like a problem, My Lord." The Doctor stood, and headed for the door. "If only you had someone capable of changing what you were, you could be a Master Class Retconjurer."

Last Updated 01/10/2017

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:41 pm 
    The tower of KingsLanding had long since been upgraded to Level 5, which granted the city several workshops. One had been taken by The Doctor, which he shared with Melody, but Tyrin set up in another, using it for all manner of magical experiments. At the beginning of this turn, he was so distracted by the piece of equipment he was working on that he did not notice Shaesa's approach.

"When you were Regus, you never left me alone in bed," she teased, picking up several odds gems that were sitting on a workbench. "What are you hiding from me down here?"

"Something you should enjoy." Tyrin said, finishing the enchantment he was focused on. "Shaesa, the new bodyguard of Tyrin, Overlord of Icevale, cannot wield the same weapons as Lady Anex of Vatima. I know you miss carrying your discus."

"I had it for dozens of turns, so, yes, I miss it."

"Then you should try this. I know it's not your discus, but I feel like it has more of me in it than a mere copy ever could." He handed her a perfectly round shield with the white SnowLion crest on it.

Shaesa strapped it to her arm and tested the weight. "It is very well balanced, and the edge is sharp. It is a throwing weapon?"

"We should take it to the range so you can test it out." Tyrin smiled. "My bodyguard should keep in practice, and the rest of this will keep til the end of the turn."

Last Updated 01/10/2017

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:26 pm 
    Shaesa's shield struck the Tottom warchief's brow, knocking off his ornate helm, incapacitating him with a single blow. It bounced through the enemy ranks, croaking two of the cannoneers operating the large bombard. Tyrin smiled as he watched his lover work. That shield had been a masterpiece of dollamancy, with some predictamancy and healomancy (inverted, of course) tied in. It would strike unneringly, even without someone of Shaesa's skill, and could incapacitate as well as kill outright. Between her might, and the small force of Kulu stabbers popped in the captured Tottom city of Surba, the siege column they ambushed had no chance.

On top of the newly popped Kulu, which were a Tottom unit type, he had managed to turn a veritable legion of Kapakulu, which were knight-class Kulu. They were extremely powerful units, but their loyalty was very low. He had already made the morbid decision to throw them in where the fighting was fiercest, perhaps even using them with danger close FROSTIE fire. The ceasing of battle brought Tyrin's attention back to the present. Shaesa had already captured the unconcious warlord, and thrown him over the back of a DromDrom, swinging up into the seat located on the second hump herself. Tyrin mounted a larger DromDromDrom, which had three humps, before wordlessly leading the way to the siege camp at Karana. The battle there would begin in earnest next turn when the handful of available FROSTIEs arrived, bringing support troops from the inner cities of IceVale.

-------

Inside the captured tent, surrounding a table that had a few hasty maps rolled out on it, Tyrin waited for The Doctor, newly arrived from KingsLanding, to approach before starting the briefing. "Each of you has a purpose in this planning, and I welcome your council. Doctor and Melony, you are each casters and understand not only magic in general, but also the fate magic that binds you, and others like you, to the erf. Shesa, your strategic mind is always welcome. Jinra, as Chief Warlord, your input is valuable, and Mahmud, until your change in loyalty today you were a high officer in the Tottom army, and have an insight into their workings." Each nodded as they were mentioned. "Karana is obviously our next target, and should fall next turn. Then we will turn out sights to Constanbul. Each of these cities is a capital site, which is unusual, but with all taken, Tottom will cease to exist as a side, and we can consolidate. If there are no objections to this plan, I will dismiss both Jinra and Mahmud, as the remaining matter involves magic matters."

"I am concerned that our tundra capable units will be disadvantaged in the dessert and arid plains around these cities. Even with ICEY and FROSTIE support, it will be difficult, and we will need to heavily rely on Kulu units. If the battle goes poorly, they may turn." Jinra spoke with a gruff, but welcoming, voice.

"Kulu troops are only fit to be used as fodder anyway." Mahmud chimed in. "Send them into the grinder, and if they turn, send more of their fellows in to kill them. I only with we had a croakamancer to make them truly loyal once they served their first purpose."

"We are considering leasing some chrome troopers. They have a variant mount suitable for desert warfare called a rainback. Its some kind of lizard I think. We also have DromDroms of various kinds that should negate the penalties of the terrain type. As to the loyalty, there's nothing more we can do there. If we throw them into the thickest fighting, we can limit any damage their loyalty can cause. If there are no other concerns?" Both Jinra and Mahmud quickly left the tent.

"Is there a reason you need me to discuss magic, Lord?" Shaesa asked. He tone did not imply she wanted to be dismissed, but was merely curious.

"Needed? No, but welcome your council as well. I have found a tome that spoke of an ancient mageocracy in these lands. It was called the Great Patrian, and was a union of five sides, ruling each from a city site. Their capitals were Constanbul, Vatima, Jehovalam, Gizandria and Unclioch. In each of these cities were hidden powerful artifacts that, when used together, could empower any caster to feats far beyond their normal casting ability. It is said that in Patrian, there were four and even five caster links. One text even mentioned an OverLink, which combined a caster of each of the disciplines of magic."

"If that was true, it would be very powerful indeed, Lord." The Doctor mused. "Though, I have heard many such legends before, and am not willing to believe it all at face value."

"Nor, I, Doctor, but then there's this. Do you recall telling me about a caster named Moraine that spoke of the Wheel of Turns?"

"Many turns ago, yes, Lord."

"This history mentions her, and uses that phrasing. 'He will break with tradition and be unlike those before him. His difference will shatter the Wheel of Turns, and drive the dark one back to his prison.' Not exactly a merry thought, but it uses that phrasing of the Wheel of Turns. It later even mentions the 'Changer with a secret name' that sounds a lot like you."

"Some version of me, perhaps. So what do you intend to do , my Lord?"

"I will seek out each of these sites and add them to our realm, in hopes of gleaning some knowledge to remove the threat of the Deletionists from the Erf."

"That means conquest of Vatima." Shaesa said grimly. "And fighting of Vatiman units."

"Unless they surrender, yes, we will have to fight them. I almost hope we find Hamratio early, so we can request he turn to our side. He never liked what the Deletionists were up to, or what the King had planned for Vatima. "

"Whatever happens, I hope this finds an end to the threat of the Deletionists. They have caused too much trouble already."

Last Updated 01/10/2017

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:34 pm 
    Karana had not fallen.

It had been three turns of hard fighting and Karana had not fallen.

This siege had eaten up ten ICEYs and six FROSTIES, and hundreds of other units. Tyrin mentally ordered a few of the bombards to fire. The large cannonballs flew into the walls, putting a few small cracks into the stonework. With sustained fire, they would penetrate after a few rounds.

A heavy wind started in the hex, and began throwing sand at the bombard and its artillerymen. Within moments, the unit was obliterated, bombard destroyed and crew scoured to bones. This had happened to every siege unit they had thrown at the city, and every normal unit that had gotten close. Only desert-capable units could weather the sandstorm, and they merely died slowly. The deaths of these units did serve some purpose. The sandstorm had attacked them only when they had attacked the city, and left other bombards, that hadn't attacked, alone.

It had also given him a chance to sense out the magic in play here. He had guessed Dirtamancy at first, when the sandstorms had ripped his planes out of the sky the first turn of the siege, but the targeted nature implied something else. His suspicions were confirmed when tendrils of Lookamancy reached out and touched the siege before the sandstorm hit.

"Shaesa, I will need to focus for the next few minutes. Keep me covered." She had been watching the same events unfold, and merely nodded.

Tyrin closed his eyes and reached deep within himself, and made a minor change. Instead of Tyrin, the Overlord, he was now also Tyrin, Master Foolamancer. When his eyes opened again, his sight was filled with possibility. It was a quite different look on life than he had a moment ago. Mentally, he commanded the remaining bombards to open fire, and waited.

Tendrils of Lookamancy jumped from the city's tower, searching for the siege. Tyrin sent forth his own tendrils of Foolamancy, diverting and outright cutting those of Lookamancy. Sandstorms scoured empty parts of the hex, and even the enemy's units on the walls, but left the bombards untouched. Tyrin, the Fool, duelled with the unknown Lookamancer, trading blow for blow. For every sandstorm that hurt the enemy, one managed to get through and kill a siege unit. Tyrin felt himself tiring, his juice draining rapidly. He fell to his knees, cutting another Lookamancer tendril as the walls finally broke open. He ordered every unit into the city, smiling as he did so.

Then five tendrils of Lookamancy soared towards him, eagerly seeking out the keystone of IceVale's armies.

Last Updated 01/10/2017

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:36 am 
    Tyrin barely threw up the baffle in time to deflect the lookamancy tendrils, batting away three of them. The fourth, however, penetrated his heart, revealing his presence to the enemy. The sandstorm kicked up around him and Shaesa, ready to scour them to their bones.

He wasn't worried about himself. He feared for Shaesa, who he had plucked from her high position in Vatima and made a mere bodyguard.

He feared for IceVale, which would be destroyed upon his death. The treasury was far too low at the moment to designate an heir. He would need to rectify that issue if he survived.

Tyrin, Overlord of IceVale, feared for the field units that would be disbanded upon his croaking.

Then he heard a sound, like a wailing siren or alarm, and the sandstorm, and the hex around him, wavered in an out, replaced slowly by a metallic room. In the center was a large pillar, pulsing with energy, surrounded by rows of metallic buttons and gadgets. Standing at these controls was The Doctor, rapidly moving from side to side.

"Forgive us for the split-second timing, but he does love to show off." Melony chimed in from below the catwalks surrounding the central pillar. "The turnporal shielding should keep us safe from the sandstorms. Nasty bit of dirtamancy, that.....master class, but whatever or whoever is generating them must have a massive reserve of juice."

"I appreciate the rescue, even if it was quite....dramatic." Shaesa said, stowing her shield on her back. "How, exactly, did you save us? This looks a lot like that box that the two of you were working on in KingsLanding."

The Doctor hit a few last buttons, and came around from the other side of the pillar. "The TARDIS is an interesting machine. It turns out, the one I was building in KingsLanding would never have flown correctly or worked. I was about to give up on ever completing it, when this one appeared in front of me in KingsLanding, with a message from myself sending me to your coordinates."

"And, since precision flying in this thing takes at least two people....well, eight, but we manage....I came along."

"KingsLanding? You should both be in the next hex over, not in the capital." Tyrin said, slipping Rime from his sheath. "What trickery is this?"

Melony and the Doctor looked at each other. "We are from a time about fifty turns from your current turnframe, which also explains why we had to drop in so precisely. We cannot interact with our past selves." The Doctor said.

"Or there would be spoilers." Added Melony. "And the universe doesn't like spoilers."

"Like the fact that our side lasts for at least fifty more turns?" Sheasa asked, sitting gingerly against one of the railings.

The Doctor and Melony glanced at each other. "We never said that. Nor will we deny or confirm it.....spoilers."

---------------

Melony was monitoring the TARDIS, and the sandstorm outside it, but the other three were sitting in a side room, waiting. The TARDIS appeared to be the side of the entire garrison of KingsLanding, which the Doctor was reluctant to explain how it worked. Tyrin didn't care for an explanation, he just put it up to the Doctor's odd origin.

"In every city we conquer, I go through the libraries, searching for specific books." Tyrin admitted. "This is how I found out about the history of this land, and set our current goals, but there's something even stranger underneath. Since I have a wiser version of the Doctor available, and Shaesa, your intelligence at my disposal, I would like your feedback on what I have found." Both of the nodded.

"Time and time again, I find references to The Dragon, but no concrete information. It is as if they are merely references to something that has been removed from existence....which is why I fear the Deletionists are hiding something in these books."

"Taken as a whole, these references paint a picture. They describe a new scripture, or perhaps an old one, in an age they call Alpha. In Alpha, magic was not of the many disciplines we know of, but was divided into five fields: Spirit, Water, Air, Fire and Earth. Combining these fields would make any number of effects, from Turnamancy, then called Compulsion, to Changeamancy, called Transmutation or Alchemy, depending on what it was applied to. There were even disciplines lost to our mortal magics now, like Travelling, which is akin to the portals to the Magic Kingdom. "

"At some time in the Alpha Age, a great entity came into being, known as the Dragon. While I have not been able to ascertain what the Dragon was, it is said he challenged the Titans, and broke the Wheel of Turns, shattering the Erf. The Titans defeated the Dragon, sealing him away in the dark recesses of the Box, never to be returned. They took the broken world, and reformed it, changing the way magic itself worked to ensure that the Dragon would never rise again. This caused the dawn of the Age of Beta."

"It is uncertain if we are currently living in Beta, or some other Age, but the scriptures are clear that an Age only ends with a great breaking, and a great change to the world as we know it. I am going to break the world. I am going to destroy the rules we are bound by, so maybe we can all live in peace instead of constant war. I will release the Dragon from the Box."

Last Updated 01/10/2017

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:34 pm 
    Outside the TARDIS the scouring sands calmed, and Tyrin felt the city's allegiance shift to IceVale. The doors flashed open, and he and Shaesa quickly bolted out, before the siren wail of the TARDIS sounded, and it shifted out of sight. He marched, with his thick fur-lined boots through the sand of the hex, and into the city proper. The bombards had done a lot of damage to the outer wall, but he sensed none still in this hex. He did, however, feel a strange pulling, driving him to the center of the tower.

Mahmud stood there, holding several bound and chained women at scimtar-point. "I have secured fine prizes for you, my lord. These are Avalon Witches, they are the ones responsible for the sandstorms that killed so many of our units, and I thought had claimed you as well."

"If I had died, you would have disbanded, Mahmud." Tyrin's eyes traced the chains to the large stone bowl at the center of the room. Then he noticed that the chains connected to a finely worked metal collar, almost fine enough to be a necklace. "Did you chain them?"

"No, my Lord, they were chained when I found them. They claim that they were compelled to use that thing to kill all who would attack this city." The women cowered away from Mahmud, and would not meet anyone's gaze directly.

"Mahmud, you have done well. See to the remaining men, and secure the site. I will interrogate these prisoners." The former Tottom soldier bowed, the feather on his turbanned head touching the floor, before he turned and left. Tyrin quickly went to the first woman and tried to undo her collar. Before he could touch it, she hissed and backed away as far as the chain would allow.

"They are prisoners here?" Shaesa puzzled, examining the end of the chain attached to the stone bowl.

"That is my guess." Tyrin said, and addressed the women. "We mean you no harm. If you were prisoners of our enemies, then we will free you and welcome you with open arms, forgiving any actions you have taken against us under compulsion. What are your names?"

Two of the younger women tried to hid behind a third. Even in the plain garments she wore she was beautiful, and her signamancy showed no apparent age. She could be newly popped, or many hundredturns old. "Am now called Suli, Lord Master." She still would not meet his eyes.

"Now called? Has that always been your name, Suli?"

"No, Lord Master. Once was called another name....a people name. Doam not deserve a people name. Doam are pets....tools....playthings....Doam are not people."

Shaesa's eyes burned with a sudden anger as she came to the same realization that Tyrin had. "Mahmud claims you are an Avalon Witch....why do you call yourself a Doam?"

"Tottoms chain us....Tottoms broke the Great Tower of Avalon....they use us as weapons when they don't use us for other things." A small fire lit behind the woman's eyes, the first real sign of life Tyrin had seen.

"We will not use you...." he struggled with calling her Suli....it seemed demeaning with what she had said. "What was your name before? Before you were a Doam?"

"Was once called M..." Suli was caught by the full force of a slap from one of the other women, her long brown hair tied in a neat red ribbon.

"Suli is your name....they are testing us....they will punish us." She turned to Tyrin and prostrated herself on the floor. "Dayi begs the Lord Master forgive Suli. Suli is a good Doam. Suli is a strong Doam." The other Doam who had not given her name similarly prostrated herself, but Suli remained upright. The fire kindled in her eyes burned brightly.

"I will not bow anymore." Her voice was soft, but firm, as if the slap had shaken her out of her stupor. "My name is Morin, and I demand you remove this collar from me at once."

Tyrin was taken aback by her sudden change in attitude, but quickly recovered. He reached for the collar, but it seemed to be of one piece. "Do you know the trick or secret to opening it?" He probed the collar with the slightest spark of Lookamancy, and she recoiled as if he had hurled a bolt of lightning at her head.

"No magic.....it won't allow it...." Morin gasped, as she moved away from the wall she had crouched by. "Her....a woman needs to open it." She indicated Shaesa. "There is a latch on the left side directly under my ear." Shaesa slowly approached and found the latch without difficulty, and removed the collar. Morin immediately began rubbing her neck, though there was no mark to indicate the collar had been there.

"Will your companions let us free them as well?" Tyrin asked. The two prostrate forms remained still, as if they were not able to hear the conversation going on.

"Now that I am free to speak, I will tell you our story. I think it's best to leave them until they are willing. The collars allow some freedom when defending ourselves from enemies, but it requires real fear, and I feel that they are near that point." She glanced at the bowl and shuddered. "Can we go somewhere else? They cannot use that without me to guide them. They are strong, but unskilled."

"Of course." Tyrin said, and led her to the library of Karana.

-------------------------------------------------------

Morin sat, sipping a steaming cup of tea, reclined in a large chair in the library. She had changed into a raiment of pale blue silk that seemed to suit her. She seemed tired, but much recovered from the way they found her.

"Myself, Gwin and Nina were outside the Great Tower when it fell. They slew most of our sisters, but they had a dollomancer who, linked with a turnamancer, managed to craft the Diom, the chains you found us in. They are filled with all sorts of vile magic. Our order....we are highly resistant to such magic, but these Diom....they used our own powers against us. Our magic is the source of power for the Diom, and how it restrains and compels us. The stronger we are, the most powerful the control. Our mother....the head of our order, Linsea...was crushed by the Duty it instilled. They tried to chain her in the Chambers of the Council at the center of the Great Tower.....the backlash of her attempts to use the power to free herself, and her Diom trying to compel her to obey destroyed much of the island of Avalon. I have heard reports that Linsea's body was crystallized, and her Diom shattered by the force of it. I like to believe she found her paradise in the Hero's City, but it is all too likely she will be brought back out of the box again...that is the nature of our kind, we are spun out into this world to live again and again as the world wills it. We are prisoners of the Erf."

"I am afraid I have never heard of Avalon, or your order." Tyrin admitted, pouring more tea for Morin. "You do not seem to be a Caster, and I have trouble making out what kind of natural magic you use. When it was targetting me, it felt familiar, but it was different enough that I do not think I could replicate it."

She smiled. "I know you for what you are, Tyrin, Lord of IceVale....Regus, Warlord of Vatima. I once knew a man like you, many hundredturns ago. He fought against the darkness and evil until he was felled in evil's counterstroke. Destroyed like my dear friend by his own power. Once those mountains were not so high, but in his death throws he raised a wall around his home, that you now call KingsLanding." Her gaze looked far distant. "You seek the Dragon....He Who Comes....The KoraCarn...The Omega of the Alpha....I had hoped someone would try to do as you are setting out to do, but I am not sure you are strong enough, and you do not know enough."

"Then tell me what I must know." Tyrin said, intently observing the Witch.

"It begins with the Alpha, as I am sure you know. In that time, upkeep was different....there were usually enough rations for everyone, and wars were infrequent affairs. Once Len Eagleeye even united the known world for a hundredturn, before being killed and his empire dissolving. Before that, even, there was peace on Erf. Great things were built with magic, many casters working together to make wonderous things. One day, a handful of researchers found what they thought was an untapped well of magical power. They dug into it, and released such eldritch horrors as are unknown today. They swept through the world, causing death and destruction, with only the most powerful spellcasters holding them at bay.

"We warred for many hundredturn, with some sides even recruiting these vile creatures to their side, giving their very essence to the dark for that power. This war continued until the birth of the Dragon."

"Birth?" Tyrin said....the word sounded odd to him.

"Its translation is lost, but that is the term used." Morin continued. "When the Dragon warred against the Darkness, the Darkness lost much ground. Soon the Dragon formed his own side, and many flocked to his banners. He drove the darkness back to the hole in the well that was originally drilled, and, with the help of many other spellcasters, sealed it. He won a great victory over the Darkness, but evil has its tricks. The Dragon's very body began to rot and waste away. His sane mind watched as his signamancy decayed until he died. In the moments before his death, he reached out with all his power and smote the remaining servants of darkness that remained in the world. He ended the age of Alpha, and that release of power remade the world, changing the very way magic flows in it.

"You seek to release him from the Box....and that is where he is. He is sealed away there by the Titans, but not as punishment. You see, the Box is Darkness. In the Age of Alpha, some would return from the Darkness, but the vast majority would not. It is the Dragon's constant war against the Darkness that allows those to be returned from the Box to live again. If we wake him, if we return him to Erf, we will upset that balance. We will break the Wheel of Turns." She glanced at his expression over the rim of her cup. "But I will help you to do it. The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills."

Last Updated 01/10/2017

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:10 pm 
    The other Daem had been released from their chains, though they had not recovered like Morin had. Tyrin looked down at the stone bowl and could see the swirling sand of the hex. The magic of the item felt strange...perhaps that was just what an artifact felt like.

"This item is from the Age of Alpha. It is the Bowl of Storms. When magic is channeled into it from a skilled caster, it can control the weather and winds in a hex. It can be used as a defense or a weapon, but its true purpose was to be combined with other items from the Age of Alpha to fight the Darkness, and release the Dragon."

"There's the legends of the Great Patrian, five cities that held magic artifacts of a lost age. However, Karana was not on that list." Tyrin mused.

"Many records were lost or changed after the Age of Alpha." Morin said simply. "However, the Great Tower had records better than any other place on Erf."

"Shame the tower is lost, then."

"Lost, but not all its knowledge. Karana holds the Bowl of Storms, Gizandria contains The Staff of Light, Istantine has the Tomes of Knowledge, Unlioch houses the Crystal Blade, and Vatima has the Dragon's Banner. When within the same hex, these items will call for the Dragon to fight for the side that calls."

"If the servants of Darkness desire, the Dragon would fight for them?" Morin nodded. "What of the Deletionists....are they servants of the Darkness or are they just against Retconjurers?"

"Your war is different than mine, Overlord." Morin said softly. "Your magic is different than mine. Neither belongs in the Age of Beta. Retconjuration and Weaving belong in the Age of Alpha, but so does the Darkness."

"I just want a world without death." Tyrin said. "I am tired of killing."

"Then perhaps your soul is pure enough to bring forth the Dragon to destroy the Darkness. If not, we will both regret it."

Last Updated 01/10/2017

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Your Things » Fiction, Poetry and Essays