Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Your Things » Fiction, Poetry and Essays

Post subject: The 25th Magic: Comments
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:30 am 
Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user has been published!
I know there is already quite a bit of Rhyme-o-mancy covered in the comic, the forums, and certainly in the fanfics. I think it's natural given that Erfworld is mostly a written medium, Rob is good at it, and the world is so rich that it inspires many others to write as well. After all, the greatest Natural Rhyme-o-mancy is Language itself. Plus there's, you know, dance fighting.

I wanted to cover a different aspect of it though, one that (hopefully) hasn't been explored too much in fanfics that I haven't gotten to yet: the music itself and its performance. I was inspired by Tramennis's question, "What is music?" It tells me that Rhyme-o-mancy is not equivalent to music -- that music is something greater. Sure, Rhymers use their magic to manipulate music, but are they the creators or simply summoning or channeling it from somewhere else, somewhere...Titanic? Like how Thinkamancers are not equivalent to strings; they simply use magic to manipulate them.

I thought, who better to represent the actual performance of music than, um, a certain extremely gifted classical musician and composer...

The 25th Magic, in two parts. Comments not just welcome but encouraged: good and bad, spelling and grammar, name choices, questions about the real-world references, etc. Once I'm happy with it I'll submit it as a blog. (If you think you get a reference...)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:28 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user has been published! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    I enjoyed too many names and references to repeat them. Very well done. I am eagerly waiting for part 2. Not everyone gets Rhyme down, yours was fantastic. New views og magic are an important part of Fanon.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:44 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Quote:
    “Most outstanding, Rufus!” cried Amadeus, clapping excitedly.

Hey, that Jester isn't a Retconjurer in disguise, is he? :D

Nice work with all the puns. I particularly liked the side being "background music" (and possibly the BeeGees), and the Dollamancer formerly known as Prince getting turned into a weird symbol.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:03 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user has been published!
    Thanks for the comments guys!

Free Radical wrote:
    I particularly liked the side being "background music" (and possibly the BeeGees)

I had the most difficulty with the side name, and it still isn't my favorite. It's a reference to a major music publishing company. Should lead to the reference for "Warner Chapel" as well. (I did consider a "stayin' alive" gag because of the similarity but scrapped it.)

Edit: After it rattled around in my brain a while, I finally got the "background music" comment: like BGM! I hadn't even thought of that but it's perfect! Anagram of the reference I was thinking. You just made me happier about the choice.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:09 pm 
    Part II posted! The adventures of our favorite music-mancer continue to build to an epic conclusion!

I decided to turn it into 3 parts instead of just 2 due to length. I think I'm going to swap it over to blog/submission, and change the posts to link there pretty soon.

Please let me know what you guys think!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:33 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    I had to register just to express my joy regarding "But Seelow would see the wood would today" - I'm at my desk grinning like an absolute lemon and my co-workers probably think I'm crazy. :lol:

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:18 am 
    nikohl wrote:
    I had to register just to express my joy regarding "But Seelow would see the wood would today" - I'm at my desk grinning like an absolute lemon and my co-workers probably think I'm crazy. :lol:

That's freakin' awesome -- welcome to the forums and thanks for the feedback! I don't want to go on about my own stuff but I did like that line :)
    Have some shmuckers to get yourself started.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:32 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Thanks very much, that's kind of you.

I've been reading the comic since the day it came out over on GITP, and quietly but avidly lurking since. I was wondering what would eventually make me break my silence! :D

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:32 pm 
    I have submitted Parts I and II as Blogs, and annotated the first part in the forum version kind of like the wiki pages, with links to the real-world references. I tried to make the annotations small enough to be ignored if people don't want to follow them. Let me know what you think of this method, and if you like it I'll annotate part II in the forum, as well as part III when it is completed.

Also: how do you get those nice header and footer bars on the blog posts for serial stories? I'd like to link all 3 parts together like other people have for their fics.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:21 pm 
    This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    I hope the king and Wolf can bond over silence.

I mean, music is in some ways not the absence of silence, but the use of quiet and space between notes to create musical effects.

Silence does speak volumes, after all. ;)

The Overlord's New Clothes -- Two parter, Completed!

Unjust Deserts -- Updated July 16!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:07 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    I love the annotations. Please, continue.

But ... you're sending him against Parson? Dude, you realize that he can't win when death is on the line, right?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:25 am 
    Spicymancer wrote:
    I hope the king and Wolf can bond over silence.

I mean, music is in some ways not the absence of silence, but the use of quiet and space between notes to create musical effects.

Silence does speak volumes, after all. ;)

Dude, look on YouTube for the death metal version of John Cage's 4'33". It rocks! It's only studio, but still, they nail it!

A tale from Erfworld: The Retconjurer

A tale of Rhyme-o-mancy: The Noble Gasses

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:29 am 
    keybounce wrote:

But ... you're sending him against Parson? Dude, you realize that he can't win when death is on the line, right?

I think he's only going up against Warlord Stanley. But still, he's dead if he does. (But tjen Amadeus had a short life)

This piece makes me want to do a dance-fighter/rhyme-o-mancer.

A tale from Erfworld: The Retconjurer

A tale of Rhyme-o-mancy: The Noble Gasses

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:31 pm 
    tadthornhill wrote:
    keybounce wrote:

I think he's only going up against Warlord Stanley. But still, he's dead if he does. (But tjen Amadeus had a short life)

This piece makes me want to do a dance-fighter/rhyme-o-mancer.

Correct, this is against GK immediately after they find the 'hammer and start their expansion. Unfortunately Beemgee is one of the first in their path.

Will Amadeus get crushed under the might of the 'hammer?! Or will he?

Also, I do apologize that Part III is taking so long. Holidays, plus work stuff, plus FFXV dropping has prevented me from really sitting down and banging it out. It is partially complete, and will hopefully be posted sometime soon. I'll also continue the annotations in the forum version.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:50 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Hmm, thinking of Beemgee, makes me think of Beegee, as something we might actually see somewhere.

Either a side, or a pair of rhymamancers that popped together, or something.

Maybe not here, but another fanfic, or heck, is it too late for Rob to introduce another side? (ducks)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:41 pm 
    The final chapter is posted! The epic showdown hits the forum, then will be under Submissions shortly.

Enjoy! All feedback welcome.

PS - links to YouTube videos of the songs in the duel are in the first comment of the Submission post.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:28 pm 
    Lordy lord that was awesome. I've always loved to imagine a Shockamancer who's practiced Rhyme-a-Mancy, or vice versa, performing Dragonforce songs and producing utterly devastating magical effects, but you detailed such an incredible combination of shock and song and rock(shockingly rocking songs) as to outdo my imagination. Great work, man.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Your Things » Fiction, Poetry and Essays