Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Your Things » Art and Images

Post Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:05 pm 
This user has been published!
I got super inspired by Cloudbreaker's minecraft version of Gobwin Knob, and thought it would be fun if I tried to take on a place in erfworld. After doing some scouting in the old comics I decided the temple of the thinkamancers would be a good place, very angular so it translated to minecraft well. The star was the hardest part. It took me 3 tries to get the star to my liking, and probably close to half the total build time

for the first image I tried to match the reference shot in the comic to the best of my ability. Some of the geometry doesn't work out the same, but I think I got pretty close. The original is here in the main comic

The main temple. I used stained glass for the pilars, and cored them with whatever I thought was best. left to right that is: Red stained clay, gold block, lime green stained clay, lapis block, magenta stained clay, magenta wool.

The main approach. The tall skinny trees are orange stained clay. I had a hard time making the walkway up look even vaguely like a curve. curves are hard in minecraft.

The meeting room. I couldn't figure a way to make the stairs glow red, so I just left them as solid white. On the colored chairs the armrests are banners.

The back buildings, the trees, and the eye symbol. I think the trees are probably a little more vibrant than in the original art. I considered using a mod with colored leaves, or altering my texture pack to have them, but I wanted the project to be entirely in base minecraft, so I worked with what was available.

• Tipped by 3 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:28 pm 
    shamelessly self-bumping to mourn the loss of the temple. Rest in Peace you glorious building

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:00 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Great work!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:56 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    This is awesome! I really like how you pulled off that glowing effect on the columns. The different colored trees are really cool too. Have you entered this in the Submissions tab yet? Because I definitely encourage you to. Nice work!

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:45 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! This user has been published! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Well done! Completely recognizable, excellent detail work.

Now I want a whole Magic Kingdom to play in.

...and that makes me wonder. Did you pull a Charlie and put TNT below the temple?

Ruler of the Rings is on indefinite hiatus.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:24 pm 
    no I haven't. I don't spend a lot of time here other than reading the comic, so I didn't really know how it worked. I'll try to do that though

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Your Things » Art and Images