Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post subject: Helping out the Wiki
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:48 pm 
This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
Hi all, this came up in another thread and it was brought up we could use a thread to help organize / collaborate on the wiki with. So lets try and use this page to discuss issues in the wiki and try to get more people interested in keeping it up to date. It still has a lot of artifacts from a heyday in Book 2.

Just a quick rundown of the state of things:
  1. While transcripts for the text updates and page images for the comic go up pretty much instantly, there's a shortage of people to actually code the panels and fill in the dialog / descriptions.
  2. New, interesting articles go up all the time, but there's tons of old stuff that could use updating. There's wiki tags for the Articles needing updating.
  3. We also need to step it up a notch and get the descriptive table of contents for the new pages updated.

There's some "top level" issues that should be addressed (as in, beyond my adept class wikimancy). There's a few duplicate pages for text updates that were made while we were still figuring things out that should be deleted. Book 3 itself is a stub, and it'll take some wiki magic to figure out the templating needed to fill.

The Overlord's New Clothes -- Two parter, Completed!

Unjust Deserts -- Updated April 3!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post subject: Re: Helping out the Wiki
     Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:37 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    One thing that needs to be done is to finish the table at:

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Speculative_Link-ups

I've been trying to work on it but everytime I try I get extremely demotivated due to the amount of copy paste that is required.

I've also asked two questions that didn't get answered:
    * Should pages about specials have the Special category?
    * Should the Flying Unit page be converted into the Flyer page because of the new forecastle page?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:53 pm 
    This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Ashendant wrote:

I've been trying to work on it but everytime I try I get extremely demotivated due to the amount of copy paste that is required.

I really wish I knew how the templating worked, then maybe we could figure out a way to like, make subpages rather than massive links to a huge page. =/

Ashendant wrote:
    * Should the Flying Unit page be converted into the Flyer page because of the new forecastle page?

On the specials, I think so.

On flying, I'm thinking yeah. We have Flying the special, and Flyer the unit class. I can see a category for units with flying, and maybe another for flyer classed units for when we have characters / units that aren't classed flyers but can fly.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:28 pm 
    Spicymancer wrote:
    Ashendant wrote:

I really wish I knew how the templating worked, then maybe we could figure out a way to like, make subpages rather than massive links to a huge page. =/

Ashendant wrote:

On the specials, I think so.

On flying, I'm thinking yeah. We have Flying the special, and Flyer the unit class. I can see a category for units with flying, and maybe another for flyer classed units for when we have characters / units that aren't classed flyers but can fly.

The special is also called Flyer.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:15 am 
    Ashendant wrote:

So it is. I guess we'll have to make it a dissambiguation page then, like we have for Gobwin Knob the side and Gobwin Knob the city.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:07 pm 
    Spicymancer wrote:
    Ashendant wrote:

So it is. I guess we'll have to make it a dissambiguation page then, like we have for Gobwin Knob the side and Gobwin Knob the city.

I don't think that's really needed since all flying units will have the flyer special and the exceptions would be for magic items and such.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:03 pm 
    Ashendant wrote:
    Spicymancer wrote:
    Ashendant wrote:

I don't think that's really needed since all flying units will have the flyer special and the exceptions would be for magic items and such.

Well that depends on how you parse the Archons being "flying knight class infantry."

Would their points read as:
    Class: Flyer, Infantry (Knight)
    Specials: Flyer

Or:
    Class: Infantry (Knight)

Then there's units like Marika Neagle, Prince Creen, and Faq's flying mathamancer.

Which is why I'd err on the side of having Flyer the class and Flyer the Special.

For the record, I do think we should make Flyer the main page and Flying Unit the redirect. I suppose we can keep it unified if/until we get explicit info that there's substantial enough of a difference to warrant two pages. It just seems to me a distinction worth making.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:27 pm 
    Spicymancer wrote:
    Well that depends on how you parse the Archons being "flying knight class infantry."

Would their points read as:
    Class: Flyer, Infantry (Knight)

Or:
    Class: Infantry (Knight)

Then there's units like Marika Neagle, Prince Creen, and Faq's flying mathamancer.

Which is why I'd err on the side of having Flyer the class and Flyer the Special.

For the record, I do think we should make Flyer the main page and Flying Unit the redirect. I suppose we can keep it unified if/until we get explicit info that there's substantial enough of a difference to warrant two pages. It just seems to me a distinction worth making.

I don't know, but I don't think it matters really. Going to move stuff manually then.

Does anybody know when in the story is digging ever called a special.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:09 pm 
    Here.
    http://www.erfworld.com/2011/11/inner-p ... isode-006/
    'Diggers' and 'units with the digging special' are used interchangeably. I would suspect flier as a special and unit are similar.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:05 pm 
    spriteless wrote:
    Here.
    'Diggers' and 'units with the digging special' are used interchangeably. I would suspect flier as a special and unit are similar.

Now that I notice that What the hell is a yon hex?

Thanks anyway

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:47 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Ashendant wrote:
    spriteless wrote:
    Here.

Thanks anyway

'Yon' means 'over there', so by 'yon hex' they mean 'that hex over there'

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:00 am 
    drachefly wrote:
    Ashendant wrote:
    spriteless wrote:
    Here.

Thanks anyway

'Yon' means 'over there', so by 'yon hex' they mean 'that hex over there'

I know what Yonder mean. Yon Hex in here is being described as an hex type.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:44 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary
    No, really.

Quote:
    “In this country?” said Fritz. “Hard to imagine either. Yon hexes cost six move apiece for infantry, where they ‘re passable at all.”

By 'yon hexes' he means 'those hexes in that region'. It's not a terrain type.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:34 pm 
    I'm thinking of launching a trio of articles on the known types of Erfworld militaries and their tactics. Air Powers like Faq and GK. Naval Powers like Seaworld and Anchorbar. And finally conventional Land Powers.

It's this last one that I'm kinda scratching my head with, because I can't remember any natural dialog that calls Land Powers as that or something else; whereas there's a few dozen references in text to Naval/Sea and Air powers.

What should the conventional type of side be called? Or does it even need an article, since it's the norm?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:51 pm 
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    I believe Land is kind of considered the norm....but is broken into other subcategories. Air and Naval power are pretty straightforward (though Air may be divided into Light and Heavy, based on Stanley's recent comments, as well as Digdoug's story.) Land has a variety of strategies on the other hand. To name a few:
    • Infantry swarm: Strength in numbers, Jetstone's style.
    • Bonus-stacking: Combine units for the most effective bonuses, Transylvito and Book 2 GK.
    • Defensive Warfare: Focus on ironclad defense of the cities you take, Homekey's style.
    • Elite Strike Force: Relatively small numbers of strong units, well suited to fighting your specific enemy, Old and New FAQ style (Granted they're an Air Power, but someone could do the same strategy on land)
    • Skeleton Army: Build it big, build it cheap, Haffaton's style
    • War of Attrition: Use superior tactics and enemy's weaknesses against them to diminish their force and make attack too costly, Book 1 GK

There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:27 pm 
    0beron wrote:
    I believe Land is kind of considered the norm.

So calling Jetstone or Firstpost Land Powers doesn't seem off? Then again, "Air, Land and Sea" is a pretty common word cluster, so it at least has a good ring to it even if it's not an explicit Erf term. And as Ashendant pointed out above, if we get actual Canon we could migrate it later.

Your analysis seems good. I'd say Forecastle is showing us that Naval isn't as conventional as it seems, but that story still isn't over. ;)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:50 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter
    With the new website, all the links in the wiki pointing to comic pages on the old site are broken (not the ones pointing to other wiki pages, though)

This will be "fun" to fix throughout the wiki....

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:41 pm 
    fuchfe97 wrote:
    With the new website, all the links in the wiki pointing to comic pages on the old site are broken (not the ones pointing to other wiki pages, though)

This will be "fun" to fix throughout the wiki....

"Fun!" I guess we just have to replace them with link to the wiki pages?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:05 am 
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Well, the new website is here, so time for me to honor my promise! Over the next however-long-it-takes, I am going to be re-reading the comic from start to current, updating the wiki with everything that gets mentioned in a given page. As I go, I'll check for transcripts and provide them if needed, as well as verifying links.

There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:17 pm 
    I wish I could edit :/

edit:The reason is that I automaticly log out when i enter the wiki.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld