Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:46 am 
Hmm, good points.

I still feel that the Arkentools are more than mere Carnymancy. The level of power they have at their disposal is too absurdly high for an ordinary school of magic. And they are very specifically imbued with Titanic power, that's the point of them, and Retconjuration is Titanic power... but I'm just repeating myself at this point.

I get what you're saying about cheat codes and whatnot, and if these were tools that had been made to adjust and tweak the fine details of Erfworld, I'd be behind you there. But again, we're talking about the tools that forged Erfworld. As in, the Titans used then to create everything from the terrain to the units to the mechanics. Erfworld wasn't an existing place that the Titans modified in small ways, it was something they build up from scratch using the Arkentools. These things don't break rules, they make rules. And this part isn't something I'm making up - the very first lines of the comic are about how the Titans of Ark forged Erfworld, and the Arkentools are canonically the tools they used to do it with. Carnymancy may be about breaking rules, but the Arkentools were used before rules existed to be broken. They literally created the rules to begin with. If anything that's the exact opposite of Carnymancy.

Either way, I'm content to disagree. I feel the Arkentools have the power of Retconjuration, but that can be my pet theory. I do, however, disagree that the Arkentools revolve around something as limited as Carnymancy. Carnymancy can do a lot of things, but Titanic Power it ain't. And there's absolutely no question that Titanic Power is what the Arkentools are all about.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:09 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Alright, a few things.

The very first panel of the comic shows a Titan making Gobwin Knob, and he isn't using tools. He's using his bare hands.

Retconjuration is a Titanic Power, and one that is only available to Titans. But that doesn't mean all Titanic Power is retconjuration. The Titans would have had to use all the available casting disciplines to create the world, because everything in the world falls under some type of magic, and any manipulation of the world has been done within those magics.

Similarly, while we supposedly know the tools were used to forge Erf, we don't know that they were all that was used to forge Erf. Programmers had to create a game before they could make cheat codes. I do not recall it being said anywhere that the Tools were all that the Titans used, just that they were used.

Since the Titans created everything, everything is Titanic. The only thing that makes the Tools different is the level of power imbued in them. If Carnymancy ignores rules, and all rules are natural magic, then Carnymancy could be considered Anti-magic. Natural Carnymancy would be a paradox.

Modifying terrain isn't just something Dirtamancy can do, it's dirtamancy. If you dig through the earth, you are partaking of natural dirtamancy. Interacting with and modifying G-Strings isn't something Thinkamancy can do, it's Thinkamancy. Breaking the rules isn't something Carnymancy can do, it's Carnymancy.

So if the Tools are breaking the rules, wouldn't that make them Carnymancy? They seem pretty game rigging to me. Rigging the game was what cheat codes were invented to do.

The last thing I'll point out is that Carnymancy touches all three elements of life, motion, and matter, while also being fate magic. Retconjuration is numbers magic, and doesn't cover the life element. Which makes more sense for the Tools? And for the Titans?

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:45 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Has collected at least one unit
    Personally, my suspicion is that speculation on trying to tie Arkentools to various schools of magic is going to be largely irrelevant.

Arkentools are Tools of the Titans. Tools of the Divine. They shouldn't be bound by the rules of magic that limit the mere mortals that dabble in the arcane. These aren't magic objects, they are Artifacts. They don't break rules, they are above the rules.

Quote:
    “It izz written!” bellowed Beelzebub.
    “But it might be written differently somewhere else,” said Crowley. “Where you can’t read it.”
    “In bigger letters,” said Aziraphale.
    “Underlined,” Crowley added.
    “Twice,” suggested Aziraphale.
    --Good Omens

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld