Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post subject: Arken Hammer Hippymancy?
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:55 am 
Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
Was rereading bits of the comic again, and stumbled upon a thought. Could the Arken Hammer be a Hippymancy artifact?

It rocks out. But Stanley hasn't figured out what good that is in comparison to the Arken Pliers making an army, or the Dish doing what the dish does. That makes me think rocking out might end up being extremely powerful when utilized properly. And we've seen another person utilize music to great effect in another place. Olive Branch and her Chillaxe.

The chillaxe was shown to be an electric guitar. Maybe she only used it to pacify, or maybe that's all the chillaxe was capable of doing, but I don't think that pacifying is all that hippy music can do. Woodstock, pretty much known as the best concert of all time, was a hippy event, and it had plenty of rock.

I don't know, I'm having lots of thoughts, and not all of them are fully formed. But maybe Stanley should try singing as he rocks out, and see what happens? And if it is Hippymancy, or perhaps Signamancy, maybe he just needs the right words.

Olive needed both the rhyme-o-mancy and the music to get the effect she wanted. Once the chillaxe was destroyed, she couldn't pacify the city. Maybe the same is true to Stanley. It would be pretty funny if he used the hammer to start a musical revolution of non-royal sides.

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:22 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Keep in mind, music enhances just about everything in Erfworld just by being music. So, almost every powerful spell (that doesn't have a caster link associated with it) involves some kind of music, even if it's just a bit of poetry. That's why the Chillaxe was so important. (Assuming it wasn't another example of a caster link creating Flower Power that simulated another discipline, of course.)

More likely, the ArkenHammer is a Stagemancy artifact. Specifically Rhyme-a-mancy, but perhaps also a bit of Carnymancy and Hat Magic. (Changing walnuts into doves seems like something a Hat Magician might do.) I have no idea why dwagons would fit into that, or any other discipline of magic, though.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:18 am 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user has been published! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Stanley speculated that the taming of Dwagons is a form of Date-a-mancy. Admittedly, Stanley is not the most knowledgeable, but I think that is at least a bare amount of support for it being, or at least using, Hippiemancy. I do not think that the 'Pliers are just Croakamancy, or even Naughtymancy. To me it seems that the Decryption involves some Carnymancy, some rule breaking, a bit of cheating, if you will.

C: Starting a theory from the point of view that characters have given false information (knowingly or unknowingly) is not a valid way to build an argument.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:24 am 
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    CarniDollMancer wrote:
    Stanley speculated that the taming of Dwagons is a form of Date-a-mancy. Admittedly, Stanley is not the most knowledgeable, but I think that is at least a bare amount of support for it being, or at least using, Hippiemancy.
    Actually it was Wanda who speculated that, Stanley was just the one repeating it in an inner monolouge for the reader to hear. So slightly more credible, but she was still only speculating.
    I had a theory a while back about the 'Tools all being Fate-aligned magics that together made a nice symetry in terms of the elements used. Unfortunately this theory had the 4th 'Tool thus being a Signamancy artifact....and well we got that dashed. That being said though, I think the other 3 'Tools are all Fate magics that has been extended/amplified in a way. The MK et al speculated that the 'Pliers have extended Wanda's Croakamancy to the Life element. The 'Dish has allowed Charlie to overcome the distance limitations of Thinkamancy, which perhaps could be explained by an extension of Thinkamancy into the Mattter element perhaps. Meanwhile you have the 'Hammer, and everything it does could be described as circus-like and putting on a show. So perhaps the 'Hammer takes the cheap tricks a Carny could normally do, and makes them real and empowered. Levitation, shooting lightning, taming terrifying beasts, transforming stuff into birds and vice versa, doing a better version of Dance-fighting. Granted nobody ever said each 'Tool needs to control only a single Discipline....but three of them seem to do exactly that.

There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:10 pm 
    0beron wrote:
    CarniDollMancer wrote:
    Stanley speculated that the taming of Dwagons is a form of Date-a-mancy. Admittedly, Stanley is not the most knowledgeable, but I think that is at least a bare amount of support for it being, or at least using, Hippiemancy.
    Actually it was Wanda who speculated that, Stanley was just the one repeating it in an inner monolouge for the reader to hear. So slightly more credible, but she was still only speculating.
    I had a theory a while back about the 'Tools all being Fate-aligned magics that together made a nice symetry in terms of the elements used. Unfortunately this theory had the 4th 'Tool thus being a Signamancy artifact....and well we got that dashed. That being said though, I think the other 3 'Tools are all Fate magics that has been extended/amplified in a way. The MK et al speculated that the 'Pliers have extended Wanda's Croakamancy to the Life element. The 'Dish has allowed Charlie to overcome the distance limitations of Thinkamancy, which perhaps could be explained by an extension of Thinkamancy into the Mattter element perhaps. Meanwhile you have the 'Hammer, and everything it does could be described as circus-like and putting on a show. So perhaps the 'Hammer takes the cheap tricks a Carny could normally do, and makes them real and empowered. Levitation, shooting lightning, taming terrifying beasts, transforming stuff into birds and vice versa, doing a better version of Dance-fighting. Granted nobody ever said each 'Tool needs to control only a single Discipline....but three of them seem to do exactly that.

Maybe the wielder enhances the tools capacities? Arkenhammer would have different abilities if they were wielded by like a Shockmancer.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:44 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Has collected at least one unit
    Ashendant wrote:
    0beron wrote:
    CarniDollMancer wrote:

Maybe the wielder enhances the tools capacities? Arkenhammer would have different abilities if they were wielded by like a Shockmancer.

I lean more towards all the tools have a wider array of abilities, and the user unlocks some innately, and because of that, doesn't try to experiment, leaving other abilities hidden. For example, does the whistle on the hammer actually do anything, and if it does, Stanley should probably try using it at least once.

So under that skin of yours: a heart attack

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:32 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Has collected at least one unit
    Durmatagno wrote:
    For example, does the whistle on the hammer actually do anything, and if it does, Stanley should probably try using it at least once.

Maybe he has. Whistle commands can be used in training animals, particularly flying ones.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:45 pm 
    Daefaroth wrote:
    Durmatagno wrote:
    For example, does the whistle on the hammer actually do anything, and if it does, Stanley should probably try using it at least once.

Maybe he has. Whistle commands can be used in training animals, particularly flying ones.

Maybe, we haven't ever seen him tame a wild Dwagon, but we also know that all Dwagons just seem to respect the wielder of the hammer, so he might simply have to get close enough. Might be a form of Turnamancy then, and doesn't just apply to Dwagons, but is strongest on them. Whistle could maybe convert other wild/barbarian units to GK.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:41 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    You know, Dove said that Carnies and Signamancers are the only ones that realize that everything is a show, and all the tools seem to break the rules...

Maybe all the tools are Carny artifacts that mimic other disciplines?

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:47 pm 
    Lipkin wrote:
    You know, Dove said that Carnies and Signamancers are the only ones that realize that everything is a show, and all the tools seem to break the rules...

Maybe all the tools are Carny artifacts that mimic other disciplines?

Maybe, but thinkamancers are the only discipline we know of that know how every strings together, and if I'm not mistaken, each discipline has its own feel, so they'd be able to tell, I think, through the wielder of an Arkentool, if its carnymancy, or something else. That said, they might not be able to as they can only feel the G-strings of living units, whereas Changemancers, Dirtamancers, Dollamancers, ETC, change the strings of matter, but they might not sense the strings presence.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:54 pm 
    As far as we know, matter does not have strings.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:42 pm 
    I had theories ages ago, somewhere on this forum, that the Arkenhammer was a Carnymancy-based artifact, long before we knew what Carnymancy did aside from the general descriptor of "Rigging The Game." The way that is seemed to release random, uncontrolled effects like transforming walnuts into pigeons, Orlies into walnuts, shooting lightning when Stanley doesn't always mean to, making things vanish... the idea of firing off random beneficial effects that helped the wielder seemed to fit.

Now that we know what Carnymancy does, that doesn't seem to fit entirely with what we know. But what we've seen so far seems like good evidence that Arkentools do subscribe to one specific school of magic. Charlie is a Carnymancer, but the Arkendish doesn't enhance Carnymancy, which is what you'd expect him to naturally use it for if he could. All we know of it seems to exclusively be linked to Eyemancy, with a focus on Thinkamancy. The Arkenpliers were already especially good at dusting the Uncroaked, and in the hands of a Croakamancer they're capable of creating unlimited amounts of Decrypted, so all we've ever seen is a connection to Croakamancy. The Arkenshoes grant unlimited Move and can send the wearer anywhere they want to go, which... well, we don't know what school that falls into, exactly, but there's the obvious theme of moving. Possibly Turnamancy, I don't know.

So it's not unreasonable to assume that the Arkenhammer is attuned to a specific type of magic as well. Stagemancy is a good candidate, and the fact that Stanley isn't a Caster could be why its abilities seem so random - the mind of a Caster might be able to better control it. I'm guessing in the new book, which is about a war between two Attuned sides, we'll explore the Arkenhammer's capabilities more.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:08 am 
    But what I'm saying is that Carnymancy is the magic of rigging the game. Dove says the most basic Carnymancy is breaking a single rule. Breaking rules is basically what the ArkenTools do!

They don't enhance Carnymancy. They ARE Carnymancy.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:17 am 
    The Arkentools are about Carnymancy? No, not quite. You're saying they break the rules? I say they rewrite the rules. Oh, I think they show a connection to an "Ordinary" branch of Erfworld magic, sure. The Arkenpliers are Croakamancy. The Arkendish is Thinkamancy. But never forget that the Arkentools are still Tools. The Tools of the Titans, specifically, and used to channel Titanic power. And there is, in fact, a Titanic power that rewrites rules.

Retconjuration.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:19 am 
    Hmm. Interesting thought.

Basically, the Arkentools would be like the cheat codes made by developers. Or maybe the Tools just act like a game shark.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:33 am 
    Even simpler than that. The Titans of Ark used the Arkentools to forge Erfworld, right? That's literally their function and purpose. If united, it stands to reason that's the exact function and purpose they could perform again - to reforge Erfworld into whatever the Attuned wanted it to become. They could change the form, nature and rules that govern Erfworld. What else is that but a perfect descriptor for Retconjuration?

This isn't even a recent idea - it's exactly what I always assumed the Arkentools were for. Retconjuration is a Titanic Power beyond the reach of any mortal unit. The Arkentools grant Titanic Power to Attuned mortal units. Their purpose is to change the shape and nature of Erfworld. Therefore, the Arkentools are capable of unlocking the power of Retconjuration.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:35 am 
    Wait...do the Arkentools really break, rewrite, or even bend rules? Or do they just offer enhancements and abilities within the rules? Apart from the decrypted, which clearly have no other parallel in Erfworld, what do the Arkentools do that is actually breaking a rule?

The Arkenshoes offer unlimited Move. That's amazing, but you could get a similar effect with a well-planned mount relay system if you really needed to. It doesn't break a rule, it just enhances a single stat. And, the teleportation effect also seems more like a simple spell effect rather than a broken rule. Again, a very powerful effect, but a rules-legal one.

The Arkendish provides powerful Thinkamancy effects. It allows links over distance, spying on thinkagrams, and knowledge of the G strings. That said, most of those are still just more powerful versions of what the Great Minds can already do. Apart from maybe the distance linking, the Arkendish abilities seem pretty normal for an ultra-powerful Thinkamancy artifact.

The Arkenhamer changes walnuts into birds and vice versa; a spell effect. It allows Rocking Out; A powerful Rhymamancy effect. It allows taming of Dragons; something even a normal Warlord could do, though the hammer does it better. Basically, normal spell effects.

The Arkenpliers...those created a whole new type of Uncroaked. I'm not sure it this is in the same scale/concept as the Scarecrow and Tin Man were to normal Golems or if this is truly a broken rule. It's kinda hard to say.

Either way, I really doubt that the Arkentools are uniformly Carnymancy or Retconjuration.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:41 am 
    I don't know that I agree, because they aren't altering the rules. They are breaking them. Altering the rules would change it for everyone.

The cheat codes unlocked by a game shark were originally made by the developers so that they could easily solves problem. If there is something they want to change on level 6, they don't want to have to play through 5 levels to get there, so level warp was created. Same with infinite lives, infinite ammo, etc. They were short cuts to make play testing easier.

My thought would then be that the tools don't have the power to change the rules. That's something only Titans can do. But they were used by the Titans to get at the rules that needed changing. Or something. Just spitballing.

I don't like the idea of the Tools actually being retconjuration, because we've had Rob tells us that was a Titans only thing.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:44 am 
    The key word in all of those examples is UNLIMITED.

The Arkenpliers can raise an unlimited number of Decrypted, who don't decay, allowing them to last for an unlimited number of turns.
    The Arkendish allows for an unlimited number of Thinkamancy abilities with unlimited power to tap into private calls, make and take Thinkagrams, and perform linkups.
    The Arkenshoes allow for unlimited move, and from what we know about them sending Judy home, allow the wearer to travel an unlimited distance.
    The Arkenhammer's abilities haven't been explored much yet, but it casts shockamancy, allows for flight, transforms units, allows Rocking Out, tames Dwagons... and has an unlimited capacity for all of these things.

Everything else in Erfworld has limits. They can be stretched and pushed and manipulated by someone clever enough to manipulate the rules, but the limits are always there. The Arkentools allow an attuned wielder to completely ignore those limits. I'd call that rule-breaking, but it's not just a one-off thing. The Arkentools are shown to be able to ignore limits to an unlimited capacity, and the things they do are permanent. Which means the rules are being rewritten, albeit in a very small way.

Combine that with their canonical reason for existing in the first place - the Titans of Ark literally used them to create Erfworld - and that says to me we absolutely have some items here that are all about changing and re-establishing the rules. That's been their purpose all along.

Edit for Lipkin's post:
    But that's the reason why I think they need to be reunited, which seems to be the direction the story is going. As it is, the Arkentools are capable of ignoring the established rules in the casting disciplines they're used in. They exist outside the rules, which I'll give you, could be Carnymancy or Retconjuration. But the whole idea that Retconjuration is a Titanic Power outside the reach of mortals is exactly the point. The Arkentools were created to forge Erfworld. This is accepted Canon. That's literally what they do. So if they were united, and their power combined, it's perfectly reasonable to think they could do it again. The Attuned would have the powers of the Titans, and that is exactly what Retconjuration is.
    We haven't seen actual Retconjuration in use - not yet. But I believe that we will, because why else would the Arkentools exist?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:13 am 
    Cheat codes were made for the purpose of making the games as well. But the actual rule and world changing was done via programing. A regular person given access to cheat codes can use that power to easily beat the game, but they can't alter the game itself outside what the codes allow them to.

The rule breaking of the Arkentools is not permanent. the arkenshoes giving unlimited move didn't give every unit unlimited move, only the wielder. The rule isn't rewritten, it's ignored by the unit, and observed by everyone else. That isn't retconjuration, because retconjuration retroactively changes things so that no one notices the difference. Everyone knows the Arkentools break the rules, so they can't be retconjuration.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld