Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post subject: Artifact Enhancement?
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:25 pm 
Here for the 10th Anniversary
We've seen quite a few tools made by Casters to aid Erfworlders in anything related to their discipline. I don't feel like archive-binging to find a few specific examples, so forgive me there.

My question today is: Could a Caster take an artifact, and give it another "feature"? Say, a Shockamancer adding a "stun" feature on Slately's blaster, or any other sort of enhancement to the current device? Would it require a linkup, for even basic upgrades, or just for link-up made ones? Am I missing something glaringly obvious?

I do recall Cubbins doing something to one of Ace's tools... Perhaps a recap would have helped me?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:07 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Artifact, or magic item?

Jack was able to connect the Gobwin Knob table to Parson's bracer to make it display the results of the theoretical battles, but that didn't seem to alter the bracers. Jack also modified the EyeBooks to be able to display holograms, but he was one of the original creators, and he was linked with Maggie at the time.

Cubbins modified the royal crown, which was probably magic in the first place.

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:33 am 
    I think I'll ask for both. Although Artifacts spawn randomly in ruins citation needed, while Casters create magic items.

With regarsd to Jack, does that mean Caster-linkup items cannot be altered under "normal" conditions?

For Cubbins, I suppose that points to a "Yes, they can be altered." I don't know what a Caster might be inclined to add to an existing item, but at least the option is there.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:30 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Well, I know a feature I'd add to Parson's Bracer. The ability to save functions.

Say Parson has a ranged weapon (such as a gun that adds the archery special). He wants to check his chances of hitting a unit in various body parts. He wants to check his chances of doing this against various units. Currently, he'd have to say "Chances I'd hit that unit in the head? Chances I'd hit THAT unit in the head? Chances I'd hit that unit in the leg? Chances I'd hit THAT unit in the leg?" If he could save functions he'd just have to say "Program 1, that unit." And Program 1 would check his chances of striking all the various appendages of the specified unit. Being able to figure on the fly would be very helpful.

Then I'd try to find a way to patch the bracer into his glasses so they could give him a visual display of that information over the unit he was inquiring about.

Basically. I want him to be able to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkp2QmWY12M

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:52 am 
    Lipkin wrote:
    Well, I know a feature I'd add to Parson's Bracer. The ability to save functions.

Say Parson has a ranged weapon (such as a gun that adds the archery special). He wants to check his chances of hitting a unit in various body parts. He wants to check his chances of doing this against various units. Currently, he'd have to say "Chances I'd hit that unit in the head? Chances I'd hit THAT unit in the head? Chances I'd hit that unit in the leg? Chances I'd hit THAT unit in the leg?" If he could save functions he'd just have to say "Program 1, that unit." And Program 1 would check his chances of striking all the various appendages of the specified unit. Being able to figure on the fly would be very helpful.

Then I'd try to find a way to patch the bracer into his glasses so they could give him a visual display of that information over the unit he was inquiring about.

Basically. I want him to be able to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkp2QmWY12M

Well... We know(?) The Bracer uses Mathamancy. What else would he need to get a Fallout-style mid-combat analysis?

If I were to guess (and I am :) ) I'd go with Foolamancy, for the ability to view the results, or (and?) Either a Predictamancer or Findamancer for actually calculating multiple results on the fly; the Findamancer being ideal, as they "find" the results. But that would require a specific take on an unclear discipline. :(

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:07 pm 
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    The only confirmed Artifacts in play are the 'Tools, and we've never seen them modified. Sizemore supects the Bracer is an Artifact based on power level alone, but we don't know it's origin, even as readers. Was it created by the Summoning spell (thus making it Magic Item since it came -indirectly- from mortal hands) or did Fate provide it to Parson (making it an Artifact since it didn't come from mortal hands).
    I think there is ample material to suggest Magic Items are readily modifiable, on a case-by-case basis of course depending on what the caster wants to do to it. Cubbins modified the Crown that was already a Messaging Hat, Eyebooks and the Table have been modified, etc.

Even ignoring the technicality of not knowing whether the Bracer is Artifact or Magic Item, I don't believe Jack modified it. I'm not even sure the Table is even accepting input from the Bracer directly, Jack could simply be using the table to display what Parson tells him. But even if it is reading right from the Bracer, that's a change to the Table, not the Bracer. It's telling the table "accept that info as input in addition to the normal commands I could give you."

There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:33 pm 
    Well, half the bracer was not created by the summoning spell, because it was Parson's watch.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:08 pm 
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Lipkin wrote:
    Well, half the bracer was not created by the summoning spell, because it was Parson's watch.
    Ooooh that's a very interesting point, we have no context for where stupid-world made objects fit in. By itself, would Parson's watch be a Magic Item, Artifact, or something else never before encountered, a "Machine" or the like that doesn't operate using magic at all?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:59 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Unless all machines count as using natural magic.

-The Song of Maybe

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:51 am 
    Well that really depends on what happened to Parson's watch when it came through with him. It's a computer, which operates on physics that are foreign to Erfworld, since Erfworld doesn't have physics at all really. Therefore we have two possibilities to explain it's presence and continued ability to function in Erfworld:
    • The watch is still constructed and functioning exactly as it was in our world, making it a special glitch/exception in the world, operating in a tiny bubble of real physics that the Summoning Spell couldn't unravel and decode. This would make it a "Machine" as I theorized, and thus completely alien to magic and not powered by even natural magic.
    • The Summoning Spell could understand what the watch was, and transformed it into a Magic Item equivalent powered by natural Mathamancy. If Parson had the proper tools, he could pop it open and find that though it still looks like a watch, it's parts no longer function. It just has the appearance of a watch, and serves the same function, but stopped actually being a watch/computer the moment it entered Erfworld.
    Personally I find the latter to be more likely now that I think about it but it is Erfworld so anything can happen, and Parson already seems to have caused one mechanics glitch by counting as both Warlord and Caster.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:33 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    i would say that it would be natural dollamancy.they have stuff like catapults so i believe that dollamancers probably have a capacity to make small items that perform a variety of functions. as for why catapult=machines, catapults use levers and tension in wood unless they function differently here. i believe i have seen catapults though it might of been battle bears.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:38 am 
    I wonder if a magic item/artifact could be modified so as to never be able to be removed from it's wielder. Not an unknown idea in table top rpgs. It would stop valuable weapons from falling into enemy hands, though it would also keep the original owner's side from recovering the item should its owner fall.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:23 pm 
    wouldn't the magic fade if the user was croaked? it would be useful to stop them from being disarmed, but i dont think you could enchant something so specifically as to do that

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:02 am 
    and if it helps, i was reading through book one and when sizemore was talking to parson, he said to not stay up all night modding your eyebook. probably because the eyebooks were made in a customizable way.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:05 am 
    Or Parson jailbroke it. :)
    But it isn't a stretch to assume they have an inherent "modability" beyond simple resizing.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:51 am 
    conmor wrote:
    wouldn't the magic fade if the user was croaked?

No, why would it? Misty helped make the Eyebooks, and they still work. The Laurel of Napster was made thousands of turns ago by casters not belonging to Faq, so it's not unreasonable to think they were no longer alive.

If magic items were tied to the casters that made them, trading or selling them would not be appealing. The magic of the Scarecrow and Tinman faded, but that's because they were tied to the original caster's Life element, and they still functioned as standard golems after his death.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:09 pm 
    Do you think that Caster-made items would fade if they were intrinsically tied to the Motion or Matter element too? Or would this be a Life-exclusive trait?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:51 pm 
    Th Revanchist wrote:
    Do you think that Caster-made items would fade if they were intrinsically tied to the Motion or Matter element too? Or would this be a Life-exclusive trait?

It has nothing to do with the specific element, it's the fact that Maxwell tried to do something that his magic can't technically do. Golems are not alive, and he tried to make one that was. Technically, he failed. He instead created a Golem that was an extension of himself.
    So yes, if a caster tried to do something similar in which they're attempting to go beyond the scope of their magic, then the spell might borrow a part of them in order to make it happen. But that's not the case for 99% of magic items. Ace's equipment for Slately didn't all fade when he croaked. Magic items, assuming they're "normal" are as permanent as the caster intended them to be, thinking they should fade is a little silly.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld