Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:52 pm 
Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
Hi guys! I've been a fan ever since Manpower tasted key lime pie back in GITP, but only now decided to participate in the forums. The reason for it is that I noticed (and also saw people mentioning it) a recurring theme in all of our stories. Let's have a quick look.

=> Parson: Our protagonist is a misfit and a loser back in stupidworld. He gets transported to Erfworld where he doesn't fit at first, but doing things differently makes him unpredictable and that's his main strength.

=> Lord Crush: An intellectual warlord. People find him weird, but someone sees the value in him and his unorthodox methods save the day. Connects to our main story when he reads about Faq. EDIT: He also hires Jillian as a merc. So this happens between the fall of Faq and the Battle for Gbwin Knob. After the Battle, Crush wants to write a book about the So-be-it Union as a response to King Banhammer's treaty on eternal piece. He thinks something similar to the Union could solve the problem of eternal peace, and wonders who could achieve it. Permanent peace is part of the reasons the Hippiemancers and Predictamancers conspired to get Parson. Will we see his book in the main story? How invaluable could this be to Parson?

=> Digdoug: A dirtamancer, a caster class usually dismissed by most sides (including his original side). Joins an unorthodox side where he is an integral part of their unorthodox strategy. The side faced many problems because they were so different and in the end were betrayed. Connects to our main story through Charlie, Dove and Carniac.

=> Duke Forecastle: A normal warlord in a side that only cares about and respects seafarers. Ignored and disrespected, gets sent to a ship where he also feels out of place. We still need to see where his story ends.

It seems to me that there is this overarching theme about the hardships and discrimination faced by people who think and behave differently. Also how important their out-of-the-box thinking can be in unexpected situations. Even inside the main story, we have the example of Faq, a side that wanted to be different from other sides. Jillian, a warlord who would fit nicely in most sides, but is out of place in Faq. Also, a royal who doesn't like royals.

Also Charlie's role. Carnies are officially the out-of-the-box thinkers within the system and Charlie the very incarnation of Carnymancy in a way. To me, Charlie bears an uncanny resenblance to World Controller Mustapha Mond, from Brave New World. He thinks outside the box and is very powerful, but instead of changing the world, he does everything he can to keep the world the way it is. Unlike Mond, who does it out of commitment, Charlie seems to do it out of selfishness, so he can profit from being the onlyone who sees the world as it is.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Zictor on Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:24 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary
    I love the Aldous Huxley reference. :)
    It fits, too. But so does your take on the characters!

Those descriptions seem pretty apt. And the theme seems pretty prevalent the way you've written them.

I can hardly wait to see if the pattern continues. :D

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:50 pm 
    This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Yeah, that analysis does make sense with what we've seen. Characters exploring the understood social and mechanical limits of Erfworld and finding unorthodox solutions.

Personally, I'm kinda hoping one of the kickstart stories deals with the life of a common piker, archer, or stabber. Not even necessarily one that gets promoted to Warlord (though having a first person POV on how that feels like would sure be something!) If it hewed to the themes seen so far, it'd probably deal with personal agency in a system where, mechanically, all you can do is auto attack or follow mental orders from a king you've never seen.

Here's my Erfics: Hungry Jungle. -- Completed!

The Overlord's New Clothes -- Two parter, Completed

Unjust Deserts -- Updated October 14!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:39 pm 
    Can any of you please explain to me what the deal with the kickstarter backer stories?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:16 pm 
    Zictor wrote:
    Can any of you please explain to me what the deal with the kickstarter backer stories?

You mean Spicymancer's wish for a story? I think he just wants a unique perspective, and perhaps to demonstrate that Erfworld is just as susceptible to ingenuity as Stupidworld. Enough that a lowly unit (say, a Stabber) can make a tangible difference. I think. :)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:17 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Zictor wrote:

For the last few kickstarters, one of the higher tier reward options was for Rob to write a short story with the backer as the main character. So Lord Crush, Digdoug, and Forecastle are all based on donors. Other people also paid for stories, but these three are the ones who gave Rob their permission to publish the stories on the site. Doug paid for a higher tier level, so he got a longer story, and he paid for the same length two kickstarters in a row, so he gets a two part story.

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:06 pm 
    This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Th Revanchist wrote:
    You mean Spicymancer's wish for a story? I think he just wants a unique perspective, and perhaps to demonstrate that Erfworld is just as susceptible to ingenuity as Stupidworld. Enough that a lowly unit (say, a Stabber) can make a tangible difference. I think. :)

:shock: You hacked my brain! NooOOoo! How you gets in mah brehn, shmahty?! My eye cues are all being stole! :?

No choice, must jump out of window to escape!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:26 am 
    Spicymancer wrote:
    Th Revanchist wrote:

:shock: You hacked my brain! NooOOoo! How you gets in mah brehn, shmahty?! My eye cues are all being stole! :?

No choice, must jump out of window to escape!

Land on something soft! I don't know that we'll have enough people to force Rob to write it, otherwise. :cry:

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:39 am 
    Lipkin wrote:
    For the last few kickstarters, one of the higher tier reward options was for Rob to write a short story with the backer as the main character. So Lord Crush, Digdoug, and Forecastle are all based on donors. Other people also paid for stories, but these three are the ones who gave Rob their permission to publish the stories on the site. Doug paid for a higher tier level, so he got a longer story, and he paid for the same length two kickstarters in a row, so he gets a two part story.

Thanks man!!! So, this is the stuff I PM'd you about. What do you think?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:55 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Zictor wrote:
    Lipkin wrote:

Thanks man!!! So, this is the stuff I PM'd you about. What do you think?

Seems about right.

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:55 am 
    Th Revanchist wrote:
    Land on something soft! I don't know that we'll have enough people to force Rob to write it, otherwise. :cry:

It's okay, I landed on my head. ;)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld