Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:47 am 
Dirtomancers Wild

Uses a standard 52 card deck (no carnies). Aces are value 1. Jacks are 11. Queens are 12. Kings are 13.

Each player is dealt a single card face down. This is the Dirtmancer and comes into play only during a tie.

Then each player is dealt a face down and a face up card. A round of betting occurs. Any player who folds is out of the rest of the hand. Two more rounds of cards and betting occurs until each remaining player has 6 cards.

Each player selects a value of card from their hand with the highest selected value winning the hand. If a player has two or more cards of the same value, he may add those values together.
In case of a tie for highest value, all remaining players reveal their face down card. The person with the highest face down card wins.

Stanley, Parson, Wanda and Maggie are playing. After receiving their cards and betting, they reveal their hands. Stanley has a King (value 13). Parson has a nine (value 9). Wanda has a pair of eights (value 8+8=16). Maggie has four fours (value 4+4+4+4=16). Wanda and Maggie tied, so they both reveal their Dirtomancer cards. Parson has the highest value (Queen 12) and wins the hand.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:00 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Has collected at least one unit
    At first I was thinking that was a fairly lame game where you just have to rely 100% on luck to win... then I realized that it is very similar to Texas Holdem or any variant of poker really, where the skill is in figuring out the odds of what people have and bluffing. Especially the bluffing.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:22 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Taikei no Yuurei wrote:
    At first I was thinking that was a fairly lame game where you just have to rely 100% on luck to win... then I realized that it is very similar to Texas Holdem or any variant of poker really, where the skill is in figuring out the odds of what people have and bluffing. Especially the bluffing.

Yeah, there are a lot of card games where the skill isn't in the playing of cards but is instead in the playing of players and the playing of bets. The trouble with such games is that it's hard to playtest them without either real money or a limited number of chips/points to bet, since a lot of players will just bet crazy with their bets and hands if there's nothing on the line.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:04 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    This one is a fairly simple game inspired by "Air War" and mixes strategy and luck. Let me know if the rules are not clear as while they make perfect sense in my head it doesn't mean they do to anyone else!

Stack Attack

Basics:

Requires one deck of standard cards.
    Maximum two players.

Premise:

The players are engaged in a battle and must utilise their stack of eight warriors to win the most tricks in that engagement. A trick is won by having the card you play beat the opponents card and the winner of the engagement is the player that has won the most tricks. As eight tricks can be won an engagement can result in a draw. The game can be played over a maximum of three engagements as the cards used in engagements are not re-used in subsequent engagements. The player who wins two engagements first is the winner.

Players switch between attacking and defending each turn unless stated otherwise by a special ability (such as winning on the attack with a jack), with the attacker always playing their card first.

Both players are dealt eight cards per engagement and they hold all eight cards in their hand and do not show the other player their hand. The rest of the deck is kept to the side and the next sixteen cards are only drawn after the first engagement is resolved.

Winning a trick

You win a trick by placing a higher value card than your opponent. You take it in turns to play first and declare an attack the player who deals always assumes the position of defender for the first trick. Cards are not re-used after they are played and the winner of the engagement will claim all sixteen cards as his own and place them to the side out of play.

Red and Black

Red cards are associated with attack and black cards are associated with defence. This means that if player A plays the "Three of Spades" to attack and player B plays the "Three of Clubs" to defend then the defending player wins the trick as the black card bolsters his defence. This only comes into effect if the values of the cards are the same. If player A had used the "Four of Spades" to attack instead then player A would have won the trick.

Special Cards

Winning tricks with certain cards create special effects depending on the card played. Below is a list of the 'special cards' and their effects on the game. The effects only last for this stacks engagement and have no bearing on subsequent engagements.

Aces: Aces are low.

Kings (are known as Overlords): If the overall engagement is a draw (four tricks won by both players) then the player who has won with the most Kings wins the engagement as a whole.

Jacks (are known as Warlords): Winning with a Jack when you are the attacker allows you to attack again and forces your opponent to defend for another turn if you then win the next engagement you double the value of that trick.

Queens (are known as Casters): These cards have various effects depending on which Queen is played.

Queen of Hearts (Shockamancer): For the rest of the engagement when you are the attacker increase the value of your attacking cards by 1. For example the "Three of Hearts" when played in attack becomes the "Four of Hearts" while a "Jack of Hearts" would become a "Queen of Hearts" and have access to the Queens special ability. On the rare occasion this card allows the player to play two Queen of Hearts (playing a Jack of Hearts in attack) increase the value of all cards played in attack by two.

Queen of Spades (Dirtamancer): For the rest of the engagement when you are the defender increase the value of your defending cards by 1. For example the "Three of Hearts" when played in defence becomes the "Four of Hearts" while a "Jack of Hearts" would become a "Queen of Hearts" and have access to the Queens special ability. On the rare occasion this card allows the player to play two Queen of Spades (playing a Jack of Spades in defence) increase the value of all cards played in defence by two.

Queen of Clubs (Croakamancer): This allows the player to exchange one card in their current stack for one played in any previous trick from this engagements from either players tricks . If a Queen is 'de-croaked' it retains the value but does not have use of its special effect.

Queen of Diamonds (Moneymancer): This doubles the value of tricks for the player for this engagement. For every subsequent trick won count it as two tricks won.

Jokers (Foolamancers): These can be played as any other card except Queens (Casters).

Last edited by CDS on Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:58 pm 
    Couple small clarifications requested on Stack Attack:
    1. Does the attacker always play their card first, or does it continue to switch back and forth even if attacker/defender doesn't (such as when you win with a jack on the attack)? I'm guessing the later, because the former would make winning with a jack a horrible thing.
    2. What does a king and ace become if influenced by the dirtamancer?

Overall thoughts:
    I have a vague feeling that the game is going to boil down to pure luck, as the optimal strategy would seem to either be play your lowest card or highest card when going first, and then always play just high enough to beat the other person when playing second. The face cards add a bit, but their uses are all fairly clear as to when you should play them. (Dirt asap, money asap, croak near the end, hippie when you run out of one color, king and jack as you would otherwise since their effects aren't something you can plan around really). I'm not sure off hand if you should always play lowest or highest on attack, but I'm fairly sure one of those two things is going to offer the highest likelihood of winning overall.

I could be wrong about that though, and even games that are pure (Or, you know, like 90+%) luck can be fun, and it does sound entertaining.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:26 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    1. It would be the latter one. You alternate between attack and defence positions throughout the encounter. So if you 'attack' on your first turn you defend on your next and the other person goes first.
    2. The Ace would become a two and the King would be unaffected (I shall make that a bit more clear in the rules).

3. My initial thoughts and experience from a few play tests is that it would always seem to be beneficial to defend rather than attack as you can distribute your cards more effectively that way. I considered removing the Red vs Black distinction to instead introduce a 'trump' suit but what I may do instead is potentially enforce playing red in attack and black in defence. So you would have to play a higher black card to defend and a higher red card to attack but that while making it more tactical may make the game largely unplayable.

4. Also just to clarify at the moment you can play any card in defence or attack and as long as it has the highest value it will win. The Hippiemancer card I would wager should also be played at the start as a result and not when you run out of a certain colour as it would only matter if you both happen to play equal value cards and if you're defending then you should be able to avoid that.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:13 am 
    CDS wrote:
    1. It would be the latter one. You alternate between attack and defence positions throughout the encounter. So if you 'attack' on your first turn you defend on your next and the other person goes first.

3. My initial thoughts and experience from a few play tests is that it would always seem to be beneficial to defend rather than attack as you can distribute your cards more effectively that way. I considered removing the Red vs Black distinction to instead introduce a 'trump' suit but what I may do instead is potentially enforce playing red in attack and black in defence. So you would have to play a higher black card to defend and a higher red card to attack but that while making it more tactical may make the game largely unplayable.

You contradicted yourself on answering my first question, but maybe I wasn't clear on it. So you're saying if you open with Hippiemancer and make yourself the defender, you'll go second for the rest of the encounter? If so, then getting the Hippiemancer is virtually an instant win for the encounter because being the defender is such a huge advantage. It also makes the jack a card you never want to use on the attack because being on the attack is almost guaranteed to be a loss.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:13 pm 
    Apologies if I wasn't clear but your previous statement is correct on turn order and sadly correct on the Hippiemancers ability which I will need to change as defending is clearly the most advantageous option and being able to defend for a full encounter gives you an almost unbeatable advantage. I will replace it with a 'Shockamancer' that mimics the Dirtamancer's special ability but for attack.

I have also added an incentive to use the Jack in attack.

Could you suggest some better wording for the turn order? I feel it is pretty critical for the game to work correctly that people understand it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:29 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Unnatural Allies 2-4 players. You each take on the role of an unallied natural ally side, competing for resources in the wild.

Each player starts with an entire suit of cards as their starting hand. (Jokers start in the resource pile.) These represent their gems that can be converted to shmuckers, and are resource cards that are not discarded until used. Put the ace into play. This is the natural ally side's starting unit and is already in play at the start of the game. The number of suits used is equal to the number of players. The player with the lowest upkeep (or youngest player in the real world) goes first, and play continues in a clockwise direction thereafter.

Each turn, start by drawing two cards from the resource pile. (This is essentially a discard pile, so the only cards in this pile at start of game are the jokers.) This is a temporary resource. All temporary resources must be used before you attack.
    Next, pay upkeep. Upkeep equals a unit's value, +1 per equipment. (ace = 1, 2 = 2... 10 = 10, J = 11, Q = 12, K = 13. Jokers are worth 1, but can only be used for upkeep.) Each card has that same value when using it to pay for a unit's upkeep. (A number 4 card could be used to pay the upkeep of a number 2 and an equipped number 1, for example.) If upkeep can't be paid, disband units until it can. You may choose to disband even if you are able to pay upkeep. The unit, and equipment they possess, are shuffled into the resource pile.
    Next, choose one of the following:
    1) Pop a new unit. (Put a resource card into play as a unit. It's power, and number of units it represents, is equal to its value. You can't play a face card unless you have 8 or more units already in play.) Then shuffle unused resources back into the resource pile. Your turn ends.
    2) Pop new equipment. (Place a resource card attached to a unit. The unit's power is increased by one. The number on the equipment card doesn't matter.) Then shuffle unused resources back into the resource pile. Your turn ends.
    3) Shuffle unused resources back into the resource pile, then Attack. (Target a player with any number of your units. They can defend with any number of unit cards and decide how to split up damage. Units deal damage equal to their value +1 per equipment. The opponent must defend with at least one unit card. A number 7 unit card with two equipments defending against a 4 and a 5 that are unequipped results in all units being croaked. If either the four or five was equipped, one would survive, but the defender decides which one. All damage is dealt simultaneously.)
    Specials: Jacks are knights, and must be sent to attack if you choose to attack. Queens are heavies, and must be chosen to defend if you are defending. Kings are warlords, and when they are sent to attack, you choose how damage is divided up unless the defender defends with a warlord too.

After attacking, croaked units are added to your temporary resources for use on your next turn, and equipment may be attached to your units or shuffled into the resource pile. Your own croaked units and equipment are shuffled into the resource pile. Opponents are eliminated when they have no more units. You win when you are the only player left in the game. Your turn ends.

Last edited by cloudbreaker on Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:31 pm 
    CDS wrote:
    Apologies if I wasn't clear but your previous statement is correct on turn order and sadly correct on the Hippiemancers ability which I will need to change as defending is clearly the most advantageous option and being able to defend for a full encounter gives you an almost unbeatable advantage. I will replace it with a 'Shockamancer' that mimics the Dirtamancer's special ability but for attack.

I have also added an incentive to use the Jack in attack.

Could you suggest some better wording for the turn order? I feel it is pretty critical for the game to work correctly that people understand it.

"Players switch between attacking and defending each turn unless stated otherwise by a special ability (such as winning on the attack with a jack), with the attacker always playing their card first."

@cloudbreaker - Where does the resource pile come from? Is it a separate deck of cards? Similarly, where does the ace for the initial unit come from? How is anyone supposed to do anything meaningful if they only get one resource each turn, which then has to be used to pay upkeep? I suppose you have to use your gems to hang on to any resource cards? Is a player eliminated when they lose all their units? Is turn order redetermined each turn? Does defender get to assign damage to the attacker as well as themselves?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:10 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Taikei no Yuurei wrote:
    @cloudbreaker - Where does the resource pile come from? Is it a separate deck of cards? Similarly, where does the ace for the initial unit come from? How is anyone supposed to do anything meaningful if they only get one resource each turn, which then has to be used to pay upkeep? I suppose you have to use your gems to hang on to any resource cards? Is a player eliminated when they lose all their units? Is turn order redetermined each turn? Does defender get to assign damage to the attacker as well as themselves?

All very good questions. I will try to clarify.

The ace comes from your starting hand. You start the game with an entire suit of cards in your hand.

The resource pile is like a discard pile. It is empty at the start of the game, but it gets added to as upkeep is paid, a player looses its attacking units, or a defender's equipment isn't claimed after a battle.

Now that you mention it, it probably makes sense to draw two or three resources a turn. Aside from drawing resources though, you also get resources by defeating enemies. And you start the game with a hand full of resources valued from 2-13, which can be saved for later turns.

Yes, a player is eliminated when they loose all their units.

Turn order is set. When I said the one with lowest upkeep goes first, I was trying to make a joke within Erfworld referencing the common "youngest player goes first." I guess that backfired though. The upkeep mentioned there has nothing to do with anything game-related.

The defender picks one or more units to defend with, then chooses which order they deal damage in. They also pick the order that all attacking units deal damage in. Say the defender has a 1, 4, 9, Queen/heavy, and King/warlord. Attacker has a 2, 3, 7, 10, and King/warlord. Attacker attacks with 2, 3, 7, 10. Defender has to defend with the Queen/heavy, so chooses to use that as the only defender. Depending on the order, the defender can croak the 2, 3, and 7, or just the 2 and 10. If the attacker sent the warlord as well, they would get to choose the order instead and could have the warlord destroy the heavy without taking any losses. If they both send their warlord into battle, the defender once again chooses. All damage is dealt simultaneously.

Hope that cleared some things up a little bit. I'll make edits to my previous post to try and clear up a few points.

[Edit] Added a use for the jokers as well.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:57 pm 
    I actually thought you might be doing that age joke with the upkeep, but wasn't sure and forgot it by the time I was going through my questions :P

[s]Seems like going first would be a disadvantage because the first person won't get a resource (since the resource pile will be empty) will have to discard (a 2 most likely) in order to pay upkeep, but the next player will get to draw that 2, then play it or use it for the upkeep, and so all players from then on will have a slight advantage over the first player because they're down their 2 gem. Maybe that is the price for going first.[/s]
    And then I saw the addition of jokers.

All in all, I like this game. Running through a couple basic strategies in my head, I'm not coming up with anything off hand that is going to be crazy powerful.

I'm guessing the resource pile is shuffled every time cards are added to it?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:44 am 
    Taikei no Yuurei wrote:
    All in all, I like this game. Running through a couple basic strategies in my head, I'm not coming up with anything off hand that is going to be crazy powerful.

I'm guessing the resource pile is shuffled every time cards are added to it?

Glad you like it. And yeah, the resource pile is shuffled every time. As for strategies, one thing I liked about the mechanics is that you can put a 10 into play on your first turn, but then an opponent can block it with 1s and 2s. Meanwhile you have to pay the high upkeep right away. And by playing a 10, it also means that you don't have that 10 in your hand to pay it's upkeep with. So yeah, there is definitely strategy involved in choosing what to play. Now I just wish I had a way to playtest this game to see if it actually works... :P

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:00 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary
    GWvsJohn wrote:
    The Fall of Haffaton

This is a game ABOUT Erf, but they wouldn't play it IN Erf.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:10 pm 
    drachefly wrote:
    GWvsJohn wrote:
    The Fall of Haffaton

Says you. There were plenty of FAQ units who knew about the Fall of Haffaton. It's not unrealistic to think they would have made a lighthearted game about the Jillian/Banhammer disagreement.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:21 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary
    GWvsJohn wrote:
    drachefly wrote:
    GWvsJohn wrote:
    The Fall of Haffaton

Says you. There were plenty of FAQ units who knew about the Fall of Haffaton. It's not unrealistic to think they would have made a lighthearted game about the Jillian/Banhammer disagreement.

I really really doubt that any FAQ units would have devised those rules.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:26 pm 
    That's like your opinion man.

Nevertheless, I came up with a game and was trying to contribute.

You provide nothing but trolling. I'm moving on.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:59 am 
    Trolling? I am not attempting to get an emotional response. I'm pointing out that the rules you posted, with the scheme you posted, would not arise in Erfworld and thus not fit what's being asked for. It's quite pertinent.

I didn't justify it because I thought it was too obvious. The fall of Haffaton would have to be on the list of prohibited topics of the Deal of a Lifetime, or the Deal would be too easy to get around. That's enough right there.

But even assuming that's not a problem, it goes strongly against the grain. Who would pick Wanda to trump anything? She has very low status in FAQ, so a game that harkens back to the one time when she held the reins would not be favored, either from those who are pushing her down (everyone but Jack and Jillian, maybe Rusty) or from Wanda herself. Jillian would not design a game like this - too abstract a topic. Jack would not like a game that's tilted to one side (BTW, you say it's tilted towards red, but aside from the difference between Wanda and Olive, the game is completely symmetric, and that asymmetry favors black). That leaves Rusty if we assume he was partial to Wanda instead of rejecting her as a status play - but he would probably have included the more minor characters like Betsy, Labeler, Adderall... and himself? I can't even find his name in that part of the book.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:08 am 
    GWvsJohn wrote:
    That's like your opinion man.

Nevertheless, I came up with a game and was trying to contribute.

You provide nothing but trolling. I'm moving on.

I was not trolling - attempting to elicit a negative emotional response for the lulz. What I wrote doesn't read like it, and for good reason. I was pointing out that it doesn't fit the criteria. I didn't justify it fully because I thought it would be too obvious:

the Deal of a Lifetime must prohibit discussions of the fall of Haffaton, because it would be too easy to lead someone up to the facts otherwise.

Even allowing that, no one at FAQ would design this game. Wanda is the top dog in the deck, but low status in FAQ. She would not dare to be so self-aggrandizing. Jillian wouldn't care for the topic. Jack would not like the inelegant asymmetry (you said the rules favor red, but Black has the only advantage - Wanda - unless you left something out). Marie... is possible, but for someone who views fate that way, replaying past events over and over the ways they didn't happen, in very low resolution, just doesn't seem likely to appeal. Rusty probably would not have cut himself out of the game, even if his role was so minor that his name didn't even pop up. Everyone else didn't like her and wouldn't make a game putting her up there. Plus, they probably considered it a very unpleasant experience and would not like to dwell on it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:33 am 
    Why would the deal of a lifetime prohibit discussion on a topic that doesn't involve Charlie. The events at Haffaton that don't directly involve Charlie, namely Olive, would probably have been discussed as nauseum in the court. There are other units in FAQ besides Casters. Some of the Stabbers could have overheard tidbits of the story over time and crafted the game. I think the tension between Banhammer and Jillian would be quite amusing to the bored troops in the city.

It's certainly not impossible for the game to exist no matter what you may argue.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld