Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post subject: Need with Punny Names.
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:38 am 
This user is a Tool!
I have three stories in mind to write for Erfworld fic. I have the plot points in my head already, but I'm working on some names for the players. I would like some opinions on the names.

For one story, I want the main character to be a long shot archer. I was thinking some along the lines of Joe York, aka Marksman Joe. Too obvious?

For another story, I wanted the character to be a Croakamancer popped for a relatively new side called Underworks. The character would be named Wally Undertaker and he's the only commander the side has to spare. So he's military field leader until the next warlord pops. So he's top dog for now. Still the side is very new (we're talking 20 turns old here formed by a barbarian), the ruler is running it top-down since they have almost nothing and enemy scouts are close to finding the city. They have to work fast or the side will go bottom up very quickly.

EDIT: heh, I'm thinking, for that second story, the ruler's name and title is Overlord Underlord. I find that amusing for some reason.

Old Cyborg pony pic:
Full Image.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:58 am 
    This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user posted the comment of the month
    Just tossing stuff out.

If you want to be historic, try Agin Court (after the battle of Agincourt). This battle basically proved the superiority of the English Longbow and set back France in it's efforts to reunite.

Or for punny, Homer Run. ;)

Product placement: Red Bullseye. He eventually finds a magic item/potion that gives him wings. :D

I'm drawing a blank for Wally, sadly. :|

Hmm... the overlord is a barbarian? Then he's probably founding an entire new Clan, of which Wally is the first. And if there's just the one city, then they'd be father and son right? Why not pair them up with the same last name? Wally Underlord and Overlord Underlord? Or make them both Undertakers. Or "Under" is the common denominator "first" last name, and all following sibling have a different second one? Like Cheetah Underhanded, a Carnymancer, and Gross Understatement, a sardonic Warlord?

Here's my Erfics: Hungry Jungle. -- Completed!

The Overlord's New Clothes -- Two parter, Completed

Unjust Deserts -- Completed!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:45 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    hmm, "frank n. stine" would probably be too cheap. maybe "frank n. holtz"? the "n" could stand for something pertaining to the "necro" word stem.

also, i just know "six feet under" and/or "down under" can be worked in, but i'm not quite sure how at the moment.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:46 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf
    Wan Underpar?

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:17 pm 
    This user is a Tool!
    Spicymancer wrote:
    Just tossing stuff out.

If you want to be historic, try Agin Court (after the battle of Agincourt). This battle basically proved the superiority of the English Longbow and set back France in it's efforts to reunite.

Or for punny, Homer Run. ;)

Product placement: Red Bullseye. He eventually finds a magic item/potion that gives him wings. :D

Okay, I might as well give some story elements to help. I'm kinda going for a story about a experimental alliance. The side has a barbarian side, a royal side, and a non-royal, non-barbarian side. I won't tell you right now HOW this happened, but I'll tell you their setup. Basically they compromised and made a union with each side as a state and then they formed a fourth side in the middle of them that acts as a central government. Each side orders units to visit, join, and learn about the other sides. It's not perfect by any means and isn't some utopian or dystopian society. It has a lot of dissenters and in-fighting. Think of it being some where between the USA after the Articles of Confederation was ratified, but before the Constitution and France during its bloody Revolution. That's just the back story. In between snippets explaining how the side works, the story focuses on the Sniper would works in a three man team. The sniper is non-royal and he acts like a spotter, the barbarian is his wingman, and the royal is a lookamancer. The sniper, as the hero, is a huge bigot and hates both royals and barbarians but is willing to work with them for now. Their mission is to hunt down a barbarian warlord who has been picking off all of their foragers. Think like a World War II or Korean vibe.

Spicymancer wrote:
    I'm drawing a blank for Wally, sadly. :|

That story is all one big pun on Underdog. A lot of the jokes are based on the phrases "over and under", "up and down", and "top to bottom". Not to ruin the joke but Lord Undertaker is the underdog. Wally Cox played Underdog in the animated TV series.

Spicymancer wrote:
    Hmm... the overlord is a barbarian? Then he's probably founding an entire new Clan, of which Wally is the first. And if there's just the one city, then they'd be father and son right? Why not pair them up with the same last name? Wally Underlord and Overlord Underlord? Or make them both Undertakers. Or "Under" is the common denominator "first" last name, and all following sibling have a different second one? Like Cheetah Underhanded, a Carnymancer, and Gross Understatement, a sardonic Warlord?

He's actually the second member of the clan. I'll get into most of that if I write the story. What I will say is that he probably won't be the ruler's son and the other commander, a warlord, may not be his son either. Neither of them would be heirs. The reason for that is that the barbarian was being pursued when he founded his side. His sponsor side was destroyed and he needed the shmuckers to stop himself from disbanding. He didn't have the luxury of spending extra turns to pop direct relatives. He's just trying to pump out a military fast enough before enemy scouts find the city and call in a strike force. He escape by going north to a capital site his sponsor told him about and he managed to outrun enemy scouts because he's a flying unit. He went over the hills and under the trees to get there. As far as I know, casters can't manage a city. I'm not sure about rulers though... However, my idea was that the ruler would be out foraging and foraging to the north while killing scouts to the east. The warlord can't fly and is lower level so can't disengage from battles as quickly as his ruler and his ruler has more move and can cover more territory to get desperately needed supplies. Since Undertaker can't manage a city he is forced to lead live men into battle because things are just that desperate.

The whole point of this is that he's a counterpoint to Wanda. His ruler isn't his father and, in fact, the ruler hates croakamancy. His side can't afford to suffer high or even medium causalities since they literally have no breathing room. Unlike Wanda, Undertaker doesn't choose to be the "axe swinging berserker" and he has to show kindness to his men or else the ruler will disband or abandon him at the earliest opportunity. Also, unlike Wanda, he is very soft-spoken and he starts off looking like a little creep. Of course, he USES his croakamancy, but he tries to ensure that it's the enemies that are being uncroaked (his stabbers need to eventually become his side's first knights after all!)

Finn MacCool wrote:
    hmm, "frank n. stine" would probably be too cheap. maybe "frank n. holtz"? the "n" could stand for something pertaining to the "necro" word stem.

also, i just know "six feet under" and/or "down under" can be worked in, but i'm not quite sure how at the moment.

We had a Funkenstein joke in the comic already and I don't understand the Holtz reference.

That's another pun that I need to keep in mind.

Lipkin wrote:
    Wan Underpar?

That's very clever actually. I might use that. Though I'm wondering if Willie Undertaker (or Underkeeper) as a play on Groundskeeper Willie. He's gotta clear the fields and raise up the trash. XD Or I can just make his name Wallie... Plus I can throw in a Wall-E pun about him feeling discarded, but is really competent and friendly. That would probably work. See the thing is, I want him to look REALLY creepy just to make him seem more unlikable to his side. So I figure he will look like the mythical Underkeeper from this video, but with a cane and a cape. Do NOT watch that video if you are faint of heart. It is really bloody.

Old Cyborg pony pic:
    Full Image.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:38 pm 
    This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user posted the comment of the month
    Thecommander236 wrote:
    Okay, I might as well give some story elements to help. I'm kinda going for a story about a experimental alliance. The side has a barbarian side, a royal side, and a non-royal, non-barbarian side. I won't tell you right now HOW this happened, but I'll tell you their setup. Basically they compromised and made a union with each side as a state and then they formed a fourth side in the middle of them that acts as a central government. Each side orders units to visit, join, and learn about the other sides. It's not perfect by any means and isn't some utopian or dystopian society. It has a lot of dissenters and in-fighting. Think of it being some where between the USA after the Articles of Confederation was ratified, but before the Constitution and France during its bloody Revolution. That's just the back story. In between snippets explaining how the side works, the story focuses on the Sniper would works in a three man team. The sniper is non-royal and he acts like a spotter, the barbarian is his wingman, and the royal is a lookamancer. The sniper, as the hero, is a huge bigot and hates both royals and barbarians but is willing to work with them for now. Their mission is to hunt down a barbarian warlord who has been picking off all of their foragers. Think like a World War II or Korean vibe.

That story is all one big pun on Underdog. A lot of the jokes are based on the phrases "over and under", "up and down", and "top to bottom". Not to ruin the joke but Lord Undertaker is the underdog. Wally Cox played Underdog in the animated TV series.

He's actually the second member of the clan. I'll get into most of that if I write the story. What I will say is that he probably won't be the ruler's son and the other commander, a warlord, may not be his son either. Neither of them would be heirs. The reason for that is that the barbarian was being pursued when he founded his side. His sponsor side was destroyed and he needed the shmuckers to stop himself from disbanding. He didn't have the luxury of spending extra turns to pop direct relatives. He's just trying to pump out a military fast enough before enemy scouts find the city and call in a strike force. He escape by going north to a capital site his sponsor told him about and he managed to outrun enemy scouts because he's a flying unit. He went over the hills and under the trees to get there. As far as I know, casters can't manage a city. I'm not sure about rulers though... However, my idea was that the ruler would be out foraging and foraging to the north while killing scouts to the east. The warlord can't fly and is lower level so can't disengage from battles as quickly as his ruler and his ruler has more move and can cover more territory to get desperately needed supplies. Since Undertaker can't manage a city he is forced to lead live men into battle because things are just that desperate.

The whole point of this is that he's a counterpoint to Wanda. His ruler isn't his father and, in fact, the ruler hates croakamancy. His side can't afford to suffer high or even medium causalities since they literally have no breathing room. Unlike Wanda, Undertaker doesn't choose to be the "axe swinging berserker" and he has to show kindness to his men or else the ruler will disband or abandon him at the earliest opportunity. Also, unlike Wanda, he is very soft-spoken and he starts off looking like a little creep. Of course, he USES his croakamancy, but he tries to ensure that it's the enemies that are being uncroaked (his stabbers need to eventually become his side's first knights after all!)

Ah, I never saw Underdog so that flew right over my head. Still. Maybe Wally Undergroundskeeper? Eh, eh? ;)

Since Wally is a counterpoint to Wanda, if he popped in the capital while the Overlord was away, then yeah, he probably isn't considered direct family like a Commander popping the capital normally would.

Now for some reason I want to suggest that when things start going well for the side, he get a sister named Wendy Underfull. As in W. Underfull. :oops: :D

With the archer, since you've already mapped a character arc then giving him a name that ties him to bigotry is probably not ideal, unless you want to explore themes of fighting internal prejuidice and personal Signamancy. ("I was popped to hate you, but I can't do that anymore after serving with you." kinda thing)

But back to punny names: Shootya Riot, Pointdexter Mann, Nock Itoff, and Ender Quarrel.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:16 pm 
    This user is a Tool!
    Nock Itoff made me crack. XD "Undergroundskeeper." My Lord. One of these days we are going to get a character literally named Onomatopoeia and he wears clown shoes that make random sound effects or he is really good at making sound effects with his voice. Bonus points if his first name is Michael and he wins through low blows. So he's Michael Onomatopoeia Winslow blows. XD I do like Mr. Winslow, but the pun would be too tempting.

Old Cyborg pony pic:
    Full Image.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:29 am 
    ... noooo ... of course that'd... never happen... 8-)

More seriously, I got a few ideas off a list of archery terms. Nock, Quarrel, Vane, and Fletcher kinda stood out, but have a look yourself and see if any might work for the guy.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:04 pm 
    Thecommander236 wrote:
    Finn MacCool wrote:

We had a Funkenstein joke in the comic already and I don't understand the Holtz reference

"holtz" is a variation of "holz", the german word for wood (as opposed to "stine"/"stein", which means "stone"). it's also the last name of a number of people, including a vampire hunter.

you could also pay homage to Pratchett's coffin henry (there are also some henry coffins on wikipedia, the best fit of whom seems to be henry sloane coffin), but i guess that all doesn't fit in with the "under" theme.

hmm, maybe an underberg reference...?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:00 pm 
    This user is a Tool!
    Before I start, I should point out that I submitted the first part of Wallie's story. I decided to make his title "Keeper" and his last name "Underground". Keeper Wallie Underground.

Spicymancer wrote:
    ... noooo ... of course that'd... never happen... 8-)

More seriously, I got a few ideas off a list of archery terms. Nock, Quarrel, Vane, and Fletcher kinda stood out, but have a look yourself and see if any might work for the guy.

Cool beans. I'll look into it. Sniper terms may also be appropriate for him.

Finn MacCool wrote:
    Thecommander236 wrote:
    Finn MacCool wrote:

We had a Funkenstein joke in the comic already and I don't understand the Holtz reference

"holtz" is a variation of "holz", the german word for wood (as opposed to "stine"/"stein", which means "stone"). it's also the last name of a number of people, including a vampire hunter.

you could also pay homage to Pratchett's coffin henry (there are also some henry coffins on wikipedia, the best fit of whom seems to be henry sloane coffin), but i guess that all doesn't fit in with the "under" theme.

hmm, maybe an underberg reference...?

No, no, I like this. There has to be at least two other sides in the battlespace, but I haven't decided on their punny names yet. I have decided that one of the sides would have a Dollamancer, though. The idea being that it will make it harder on Wallie since Dollamancer Golems can't be uncroaked. Frankenholtz would be a good name for a type of Wood Golem or it could be the Dollamancer's name. I may use that. As for your other ideas, I will look into them.

Old Cyborg pony pic:
    Full Image.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:17 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf
    I needed both a Croakamancer and a Dollmancer for my story, so unfortunately I can't give you my favorite ideas.

But I can give you my second favorite Dollmancer idea. Base him on Sid from Toy Story. Lots of hybrid dolls.

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:48 pm 
    Thecommander236 wrote:
    Frankenholtz would be a good name for a type of Wood Golem or it could be the Dollamancer's name.

ah, if you want to use it that way (and don't find anyone called holtz that fits the bill), you should probably make that "frankenholz" without the "t" because the "stein" part of "frankenstein" is also spelled correctly.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:05 pm 
    This user is a Tool!
    Lipkin wrote:
    I needed both a Croakamancer and a Dollmancer for my story, so unfortunately I can't give you my favorite ideas.

But I can give you my second favorite Dollmancer idea. Base him on Sid from Toy Story. Lots of hybrid dolls.

Understandable.

Thecommander236 wrote:
    Frankenholtz would be a good name for a type of Wood Golem or it could be the Dollamancer's name. I may use that. As for your other ideas, I will look into them.

I think we can work something out. Just not something like Bill from TV, I assume. Just someone kind of childish, but creative?

Old Cyborg pony pic:
    Full Image.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:43 pm 
    This user is a Tool!
    I need a name for Dirtamancy capable units that can improve roads and farm. A support type that isn't used for much else besides that. Something like archons, but focused on Dirtamancy. Doesn't need to fly.

Old Cyborg pony pic:
    Full Image.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:18 am 
    Mud Slingers?

Or maybe beasts of burden called Plowhares?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:54 am 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user has been published! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary Shiny Red Star Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf
    Lipkin wrote:

How about Art Sidious as a name for that dollamancer? There's both Sidharta Budda in his name and a lot more Darth Sidious, aka Palpatine :D

It's my fanfiction. :)

My erf PC game (first test version): Jack Attack Give it a go.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:31 pm 
    youngstormlord wrote:
    Lipkin wrote:

How about Art Sidious as a name for that dollamancer? There's both Sidharta Budda in his name and a lot more Darth Sidious, aka Palpatine :D

I was thinking more likely Sid the Vicious.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:28 pm 
    This user is a Tool!
    I've been liking the name "Hick-ups" as the Dirtamancy dudes. They make minor traps for small game and keep them away from the Ant-a-lopes or else they will hunt them down. The improvements they make look very cheap and just slapped together. XD

Yeah, I wanted the Dollamancer to be some kind of unit involved in a side with a lot of intrigue. Underworks is a side with high loyalty. I wanted the Dollamancer to be more Insidious and backstabbing to contrast with the "Under" tribe. "Darth Sid" would be a very good counter point, plus it gives me another reference to work with. One of loyalty.

Old Cyborg pony pic:
    Full Image.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:16 am 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Lipkin wrote:

That is booping horrifying
    Seriously, this creeps me out more than Transylvitos Bill

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:05 pm 
    This user is a Tool!
    Sid was creative and Woody scaring him stifled that creatively and scarred him for life. He ended by being a garbage man and wasted his creative talents. XD I don't know how true that is, but an article from cracked.com made a really good point about that part of Toy Story. Especially since it was hinted at that Sid's dad was an alcoholic.

Old Cyborg pony pic:
    Full Image.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld