Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Grand Strategy
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:10 pm 
User avatar
Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
Offline
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 4378
Location: Morlock Wells
Shai_hulud wrote:
It feels good to know I'm lazy...
Not sure where you're getting that implication from....my point was that Earthlings commonly go to school (training) for 12+ years, and here Erflings are seeing only 2 as unusual and excessive.

_________________
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:
Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Grand Strategy
     Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:53 pm 
    User avatar
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:03 am
    Posts: 295
    Lamech wrote:
    I'm waiting for someone to just rant at them. An Earthworlder obviously. Erfworld is a world where cities provide magical support. You live forever. Are healed at the start of every day. You can get strong and intelligent by doing push ups. Gain higher classes. Farming is totally a thing people can do to survive. And they have magic to help out. There is no excuse for this war. Erfworld is a bloody paradise compared to Earth. Its the people that make it warlike. Not the world.


    That is 100% untrue. The mechanics of the world push units into war. f you do not have enough schmuckers coming on to pay for all your units upkeep you have to disband them. If you do have enough schmuckers more units will pop until you no longer have enough income to pay for everyone. You can have all your units out foraging/hunting/farming/mining but that's no guarantee you will get enough to pay upkeep for everyone. If it was natural allies would have no reason to ally with a side. Even if you do so though and all your units and engaged in these activities you are still popping new units. In cities where you can you pop units which can be harvested and use that to pay unit upkeep as well. But any cities which can't produce harvestable units pop new units which require upkeep paid. Eventually you reach a point where even with all units engaged in these activities you cannot pay all their upkeeps without some new source of income. Like new cities.

    So a conquering you must go!

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Grand Strategy
     Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:33 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Offline
    Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:55 pm
    Posts: 1463
    Mikalyaran wrote:
    If you do have enough shmuckers more units will pop until you no longer have enough income to pay for everyone.
    Is that really true? We know a side chooses which units each city will produce. I would expect that producing nothing would also be an option. I'm not aware of any evidence one way or the other.

    Mikalyaran wrote:
    But any cities which can't produce harvestable units pop new units which require upkeep paid. Eventually you reach a point where even with all units engaged in these activities you cannot pay all their upkeeps without some new source of income.
    It seems like a side that was unable to produce mounts would be at a huge disadvantage. It seems like it's only fair to allow every city to produce at least one mount-type unit. Have we ever heard of a city being unable to produce mounts? If there are such cities and it's true that production can't be stopped, then at least production could be stopped by razing the city. If you don't want war, then cities that can't produce food units and can't stop producing new mouths to feed would be a worthless city.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Grand Strategy
     Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:27 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:23 am
    Posts: 1568
    TV can't as far as we know. However they also drain life so they can presumably eat doombats.
    GK pops mounts. Goodmitton had mounts. Jetstone had mounts. Unaroyal had mounts. FAQ had mounts. Hmm... that would actually be interesting if every side could pop themselves rations. That would certainly point to a possible path for peace.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Grand Strategy
     Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:34 am 
    User avatar
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:57 pm
    Posts: 869
    Lilwik wrote:
    If you don't want war, then cities that can't produce food units and can't stop producing new mouths to feed would be a worthless city.
    I'm sure there's a satirical statement about useless eaters over breeding in there somewhere. Also something about population control. SOYLENT RATION'S PEOPLE!

    Lamech wrote:
    TV can't as far as we know. However they also drain life so they can presumably eat doombats.
    GK pops mounts. Goodmitton had mounts. Jetstone had mounts. Unaroyal had mounts. FAQ had mounts. Hmm... that would actually be interesting if every side could pop themselves rations. That would certainly point to a possible path for peace.
    It's less about popping rations and more about not producing units you can't feed even after you hire allies and casters that can farm.

    _________________
    “I will tell you precisely what Royalty is,” said Intra, “It is a continuous cutting motion.”

    -The Song of Maybe

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Grand Strategy
     Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:06 am 
    User avatar
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Online
    Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:36 pm
    Posts: 1904
    wih wrote:
    drachefly wrote:
    Maybe at some time in the past, Charlescomm or Faq skipped a turn and Kingworld gave that saved-up turn to Faq (and allies). Maybe they even saved that turn up recently - Jillian knew the plan, after all.


    If that was the case, then I would have expected GK to have gotten their turn back after FAQ et al ended theirs. Didn't happen. This was an ending of GK's turn, not a bonus turn for the RCC2.


    I really don't see why GK would have gotten their turn back. Yes, it wasn't a bonus turn for RCC2, but it was negative (most of) a turn for GK. A turn for a turn and we're back to zero.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Grand Strategy
     Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:21 pm 
    User avatar
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:57 pm
    Posts: 869
    Then why is there a juice cost in the first place? Why not just trade the turn directly, since that's the only resource involved. Seems kind of weird to have something that is both two turns worth of juice and a turn. Does Sizemore have to pay fire back somehow for spending juice to put out the flames at Spacerock?

    _________________
    “I will tell you precisely what Royalty is,” said Intra, “It is a continuous cutting motion.”

    -The Song of Maybe

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Grand Strategy
     Post Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:27 am 
    User avatar
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Online
    Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:36 pm
    Posts: 1904
    For the same reason it takes juice to lift a rock and put it back down?

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Grand Strategy
     Post Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:10 pm 
    User avatar
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:57 pm
    Posts: 869
    Right... but then they need to give up some other, identical rock somewhere else. Otherwise it wouldn't be proper game balance. That's why every strategy game fireballs your troops with a second fireball every time you use a fireball spell on your enemies in addition to the mana cost. So it's balanced. :|

    _________________
    “I will tell you precisely what Royalty is,” said Intra, “It is a continuous cutting motion.”

    -The Song of Maybe

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Grand Strategy
     Post Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:23 am
    Posts: 1568
    Spending juice, even if whatever you get needs to be stolen or balanced out can be great. For example, Red had her incapacitation death delayed repeatedly. Then she had her death by fire delay. The last one is particularly badass. Yeah, she dies by fire, but until then? Its great. Luckamancy is similar. You move numbers in less important battles to more important battles. If you are lucky you steal them from the enemy!

    In fact, in the real world people pay good money just to get money even though they need to pay it back later! That's what a loan is.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Grand Strategy
     Post Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:13 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:07 am
    Posts: 674
    Lamech wrote:
    Spending juice, even if whatever you get needs to be stolen or balanced out can be great. For example, Red had her incapacitation death delayed repeatedly. Then she had her death by fire delay. The last one is particularly badass. Yeah, she dies by fire, but until then? Its great. Luckamancy is similar. You move numbers in less important battles to more important battles. If you are lucky you steal them from the enemy!

    In fact, in the real world people pay good money just to get money even though they need to pay it back later! That's what a loan is.


    Except Red moved numbers from very important battles. The battle for Spacerock would have probably been very different if that luckamancy repayment didn't kill the other Warlord (KC, IIRC).

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Grand Strategy
     Post Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:41 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:23 am
    Posts: 1568
    wih wrote:
    Lamech wrote:
    Spending juice, even if whatever you get needs to be stolen or balanced out can be great. For example, Red had her incapacitation death delayed repeatedly. Then she had her death by fire delay. The last one is particularly badass. Yeah, she dies by fire, but until then? Its great. Luckamancy is similar. You move numbers in less important battles to more important battles. If you are lucky you steal them from the enemy!

    In fact, in the real world people pay good money just to get money even though they need to pay it back later! That's what a loan is.


    Except Red moved numbers from very important battles. The battle for Spacerock would have probably been very different if that luckamancy repayment didn't kill the other Warlord (KC, IIRC).
    Reckless use of extremely powerful magic can backfire hard. Don't do that. It would be like saying that the dirt-croak-amancy link up is underpowered if Parson used it at the start of book one. The fact that Jojo never informed Red of what it did is not the fault of carnymancy/luckamancy being weak. Its the result of Jojo being a fail.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Grand Strategy
     Post Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:05 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:07 am
    Posts: 674
    I never said that the effect was weak.

    Having passive Luckamancy that you cannot control what it steals from isn't a great idea; the benefits of Luckamancy come from, as you said, stealing from the unimportant to give to the important (on a sidenote, pretty sure that it is implicitly stated that you take Numbers from your own side, though I imagine some tri-link could break that. Carny/Think/Luck?). When you cannot control where they come from, it always has the chance to come back to bite you. As it did in this case, and on a long enough time scale inevitably will.

    It only takes one important moment to end everything.

    Put simply, what Jojo did to Sylvia was great for the unit but bad for the side.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Grand Strategy
     Post Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:26 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:23 am
    Posts: 1568
    wih wrote:
    I never said that the effect was weak.

    Having passive Luckamancy that you cannot control what it steals from isn't a great idea; the benefits of Luckamancy come from, as you said, stealing from the unimportant to give to the important (on a sidenote, pretty sure that it is implicitly stated that you take Numbers from your own side, though I imagine some tri-link could break that. Carny/Think/Luck?). When you cannot control where they come from, it always has the chance to come back to bite you. As it did in this case, and on a long enough time scale inevitably will.

    It only takes one important moment to end everything.

    Put simply, what Jojo did to Sylvia was great for the unit but bad for the side.
    What Jojo did would make a lot of sense for a ruler or a caster. However for a piker. For luckamancy our novice class said he doesn't know which side they come from. He suspects its their side mostly, but other people get the shaft too. Presumably with a higher class he could direct the "backlash" ala thinkamancy. (Novice Wanda can't control backlash, Adept Maggie can.)

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Grand Strategy
     Post Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:13 am 
    User avatar
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Online
    Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:36 pm
    Posts: 1904
    Shai_hulud wrote:
    Right... but then they need to give up some other, identical rock somewhere else. Otherwise it wouldn't be proper game balance. That's why every strategy game fireballs your troops with a second fireball every time you use a fireball spell on your enemies in addition to the mana cost. So it's balanced. :|


    your point appears to amount to "I'm going to make up imaginary restrictions and pretend they apply to all possible rulesets" while mine is "Here are possible additional costs that return some balance, fit thematically, and are consistent with the story."

    If I'm incorrect in this, please clarify.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Grand Strategy
     Post Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:42 am 
    User avatar
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:57 pm
    Posts: 869
    I was making fun of your arbitrary definition of balance and that you were proposing new imaginary restrictions by applying hypothetical rules about Luckamancy and Carnymancy to all possible situations. So pretty much the exact opposite of what you just said.

    _________________
    “I will tell you precisely what Royalty is,” said Intra, “It is a continuous cutting motion.”

    -The Song of Maybe

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Grand Strategy
     Post Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:42 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:23 am
    Posts: 1568
    I also am going to point out we don't know if carnymancy is always "balanced", or if the balance is anything remotely sane. In fact, I would disagree even. The price for Red not dying in a fire was that Red would later die in a fire. ... Now barring extreme safety measures every unit dies. Every time someones life is saved they get a new death. Healomancy prevents death by paying with a different death. But carnymancy with its "cost"? Same deal, except that different death had to be the exact same sort. What really happened is she got uber-protection. An infinite strength luckamancy spell is not a "cost", that's a bloody awesome bonus.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Grand Strategy
     Post Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:34 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Offline
    Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:55 pm
    Posts: 1463
    Lamech wrote:
    The price for Red not dying in a fire was that Red would later die in a fire.
    I can believe that, but it's hard to be sure. From Book 2, Page 86, what we know is that Jojo "made a trade" for Sylvia. That's plenty cryptic, but it would certainly make sense that what he traded was one death by fire for another death by fire. On the other hand, we can't really rule out the possibility that it was some other sort of trade, and the fact that Sylvia ended up dead by fire was just what had to happen when the terms of the deal ran out.

    Lamech wrote:
    Healomancy prevents death by paying with a different death. But carnymancy with its "cost"? Same deal, except that different death had to be the exact same sort. What really happened is she got uber-protection. An infinite strength luckamancy spell is not a "cost", that's a bloody awesome bonus.
    I expect that no discipline of magic is radically better than any other, so if that's the way it seems to work then we're probably missing something.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Grand Strategy
     Post Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:38 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:23 am
    Posts: 1568
    Lilwik wrote:
    I expect that no discipline of magic is radically better than any other, so if that's the way it seems to work then we're probably missing something.
    There was a link up between two carnymancers, and possibly a third unknown caster? Arkentools are way better than any other discipline. Links are cheating bastards. Like how Parson got the mathamancy bracer from the summon warlord spell. Or the volcano put Sizemore's traps to shame.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Grand Strategy
     Post Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:38 am 
    User avatar
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Online
    Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:36 pm
    Posts: 1904
    Shai_hulud wrote:
    I was making fun of your arbitrary definition of balance and that you were proposing new imaginary restrictions by applying hypothetical rules about Luckamancy and Carnymancy to all possible situations. So pretty much the exact opposite of what you just said.


    If that's what you thought I was doing, then you seriously misinterpreted my intention. And my denotation!

    The conversation was speculation about balancing mechanisms. I presented one such balancing mechanism. I fit it into a known-to-exist structure which applies to some unknown set of things. My proposal was that this improved balance and fit thematically - NOT that everything, no matter how dissimilar, had to obey some rule - and it's not even clear what rule it would be from what I said.

    Sheesh. How could you get that out of what I wrote?

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
    Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     
    Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ] 

    Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld


    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Omnimancer and 11 guests

     
     

     
    You cannot post new topics in this forum
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot post attachments in this forum

    Search for:
    Jump to: