Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:22 pm 
So, I was bored, and re-reading the archives.

Noticed this:
On book 1, page 84a (link), Parson's Klog describes some stuff about loyalty etc. Parson, wondering about free will says "WTB?" - which actually means "WTF?". I'm assuming if parson was able to write out WTF, he would have (as he's fond of both cursing and bending the rules).

So the assumption here is, he thought "WTF?" but the eyebook recorded "WTB?"

Now, on book 2 page 108 (link), Charlie addresses Parson thought the Eyebook - but he manages to say "GTFO" and not "GTBO" - essentially bypassing the booping filter.

Not sure if its intentional, but it gives more credence to the idea that Charlie is another Player from Parson's world. And I thought it was interesting... :P

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:31 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary
    randint wrote:
    I'm assuming if parson was able to write out WTF, he would have (as he's fond of both cursing and bending the rules).
    Parson also has a sense of humor, and WTB is funny. He'd probably also gotten into a habit of using boop.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:38 pm 
    Lilwik wrote:
    Parson also has a sense of humor, and WTB is funny. He'd probably also gotten into a habit of using boop.

Yes, its possible he said that as a joke.

But I don't think its very probable (imho) - he's not intentionally saying 'boop', he's constantly tried to curse (and gets quite happy on even minor things like 'hoosed'). Plus, it would probably be funnier if he went around saying WTF (spelling it, confusing everyone what it means, when they ask him and he replies it means "what the boop")

It just occurred to me that another possibility is that when Parson broke the boop filter at the end of book 1, he may have broken it for everyone, but I don't remember any evidence of that, and I think its just more likely Charlie is able to break it as well.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:22 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary
    or it meant Get The Fire Out? ;) Wouldn't exactly fit in context though.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:24 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    They replace "fuck" with "flip". So GTFO out becomes "Get The Flip Out"

-The Song of Maybe

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:48 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Considering Erfworld's penchant for using near-phrases in their naming schemes I do not doubt that any sufficiently similar euphemism could be considered for Erfworld canon. Perhaps Get The Fudge Out is a normal phrase? Until we receive actual evidence of Charlie cursing I am actually inclined to believe that he can't. Carnymancy seems a lot like Wishing through the Genie of the Lamp; you never know how your wish will get twisted, but you will always get something Like the effect that you were trying to get. So Carnies might do something like "Cheat your Fate: You don't croak in the fire now, but you croak painfully in a fire later). Incidentally, that is what I think happened to Sylvia.

I am inclined to think that Parson's ability to bypass the Filter exceeds the boundaries of normal Erfworld units until shown otherwise.

MTF

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:45 am 
    Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    "WTB" is "Want To Buy."

Seems pretty clear contextually. He is talking about how, in Erfworld, only Rulers have free will. I'd want to buy that.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:57 pm 
    Earlier, Stanley tried to think of a curse word that starts with 'F' - that's evidence that the profanity filter is permanently broken.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:08 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary
    SNfinity wrote:
    Earlier, Stanley tried to think of a curse word that starts with 'F' - that's evidence that the profanity filter is permanently broken.

Eh. He was casting about for purposes of alliteration, wasn't it? And he couldn't think of anything.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld