Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post subject: Third Skip?
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:58 pm 
Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought skips were supposed to be limited to 2 to a month. Balder has posted updates on the previous 2 Fridays this month, but not the previous 2 Tuesdays and it is looking to be not this Tuesday either. Various noises of disapproval and disappointment.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post subject: Re: Third Skip?
     Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:02 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    At least he didn't post it late and charge everyone anyway like that one time?

-The Song of Maybe

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:14 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    He never said it would be limited to two a month - simply that two a month is what we should expect. That being said it is still disappointing.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:21 am 
    If the team can only do 1 update a week, just change the official schedule and stop disappointing people.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:37 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    On the bright side, if the reason for the skip is to buy a few more hours to make it ready, then the Thanksgiving holiday shouldn’t prevent Friday’s update from landing on time.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:04 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! This user has been published! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner
    Rob wrote:
    Update schedule will still be Tuesdays and Fridays, but expect us to miss about two updates a month, without announcements.

About is the key word, not limiting it to two, just so you know. I don't like the disappointment of unannounced skips myself, but it's been made crystal clear that the update schedule is entirely up to Rob right now, and I think we should respect that(try creating a tenth of the quantity he's been producing, much less quality). My interpretation of the schedule is something like "Updates will post before midnight on Tuesday and Friday if there is an update that day, but there are no guarantees that any particular Tuesday or Friday will have an update. I get to choose when there isn't, and I expect it'll happen about twice a month."

As for this particular skip, it's booping Thanksgiving! With rare exceptions like the machine Howard Tayler, webcomic authors often take time for themselves during holidays, and they should be allowed to without complaint. If I like a street musician's songs enough to stay nearby and toss some quarters in his instrument case after every song, I shouldn't expect him to play according to my preference. Yeah, he might take requests or listen to feedback if he's nice and the setting allows, but he sets the pace. And if a street musician I've enjoyed listening to for a while stops to spend time with family, I'd feel compelled to not only not complain, but to try to explain to even mild complainers that they should be grateful for what they've gotten, to let a booping newlywed have some family time, and to either move on to other things(in the meantime or more drastically as you see fit) or take the time to review the awesomeness of the amazing content you've already been given.

Vendanna has a new fan fiction contest:
    Its allies about the hair Contest, oh my!

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:06 am 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Has collected at least one unit
    kaylasdad99 wrote:
    On the bright side, if the reason for the skip is to buy a few more hours to make it ready, then the Thanksgiving holiday shouldn’t prevent Friday’s update from landing on time.

Which, if you are right, the previous two skips failed to do. Not so reassuring.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:30 am 
    HighJumper wrote:
    As for this particular skip, it's booping Thanksgiving! With rare exceptions like the machine Howard Tayler, webcomic authors often take time for themselves during holidays, and they should be allowed to without complaint.

They have a buffer for a reason. They've missed 3 updates in one month. Most people work harder before a holiday so they don't need to worry during it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:34 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    They do not have a buffer.
    I think a part of the whole upset-ness at the skips is that a 2 month hiatus produced no buffer. The skips being so frequent after a 2 month holiday is just.. scary. Like shades of book 2.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 pm 
    This user got funny with a rodent Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    KyleEverett wrote:
    If the team can only do 1 update a week, just change the official schedule and stop disappointing people.

Sigh. This.

HighJumper wrote:
    As for this particular skip, it's booping Thanksgiving!

Usually I would tend to agree, though I was extra disappointed because of two skips previously, and I didn't even realize it was a US holiday today (which is why an announcement would have been good). Also, Girl Genius and Sam and Fuzzy update 3 times a week, including many holidays and they both have updates today.

If Rob was planning on taking Thanksgiving off, he probably should have had an update ready for one of the other Tuesdays. Oh well. It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. I'll just spend 50% less time checking Erfworld.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:34 pm 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    KyleEverett wrote:

They have a buffer for a reason.

A. LOL wut?
    B. As has been said, there is no buffer.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:47 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit
    nightseraph wrote:
    They do not have a buffer.
    I think a part of the whole upset-ness at the skips is that a 2 month hiatus produced no buffer. The skips being so frequent after a 2 month holiday is just.. scary. Like shades of book 2.

Had to remember that I registered an account to say this is exactly my thoughts, it feels way too much like Book 2 all over again.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:12 pm 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Disappointing, yes, but well, what can we do. I'm not disabling adblock, not complaining and reading something else. For example, I can recommend Solzhenitsyn's Gulag Archipelago and (recently translated) 200 Years Together. Worm part 2 started recently, too.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:24 pm 
    IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Diodri wrote:
    HighJumper wrote:
    As for this particular skip, it's booping Thanksgiving!

Usually I would tend to agree, though I was extra disappointed because of two skips previously, and I didn't even realize it was a US holiday today (which is why an announcement would have been good).

It wasn't a holiday. Thanksgiving is on Thursday, always is. Many people take the following Friday off, or at least take it easy, but the preceding Tuesday isn't special in any way. I don't really know what HighJumper is talking about.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:18 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! This user has been published! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner
    Thanksgiving is a season to me, so I say Thanksgiving Day if I'm referring specifically to the Thursday itself. I give a larger benefit of the doubt for the whole week, since there's more going on related to the holiday. I've got three shift changes this week because of coworkers changing plans because of family, and I do all I can to let people celebrate however they want. With large families on both sides with separate gatherings, and my wife and I being introverts that want as much time for our own small family as we can squeeze in, a week often seems like an error on the low side.

Clearly that's not the case for everyone, but I prefer to be generous. We're barely into the unexpected with a third skip, and the actual schedule announcement is open ended, so it's Rob doing what he said he'd do. This is disappointing, since more Erfworld is awesome, but it shouldn't be a problem.

Vendanna has a new fan fiction contest:
    Its allies about the hair Contest, oh my!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld