Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:36 am 
This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
I have something to say about Erfworld that I don't mean as a complaint thread: I need help figuring out what's happening.

I don't mean why things are happening, or what's happening next. I mean, reading the comic no longer informs me as to what the characters are doing, or why, or what's happening in the background.

Like, the thing with Page 286. I had no idea that there were columns in the background, and that they mattered. I went back and reread some comics. I don't know why the action figure is crying. I don't know what Wanda is doing. I had to reread what happened to the Wrench, and I genuinely forget where the Arkenpliers went.

I truly respect and appreciate - and have enjoyed - what the comic is doing, but between the slow updates, the sheer number of characters and complex rules and transgressions of those rules, the multiple locations and slow-burning surprises and hints about things and unseen knowledge, I'm losing my grip on the comic, and I've been reading it since Book One.

So, while I know that no one has time for this, it would be really great if the next book release had some kind of codex or recap or explanatory monologue that helped me figure out what is happening, even in retrospect. Just, like, comic by comic, what the characters are doing, what are the hints, and what do they mean. not even comic by comic, it can be condensed further than that.

Maybe it's even a forum post or some labor of love by unpaid volunteers who just feel like doing it.

I may keep reading otherwise, but I'm no longer having the same experience as the people who are actually keeping it straight in their heads.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:23 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    eras10 wrote:
    Like, the thing with Page 286. I had no idea that there were columns in the background, and that they mattered.

Do you have a specific question about the columns? Those are portal columns. Portals between capital sites and the MK project from them. Deisaac exposed them with the wrench, presumably as part of the deal with Wanda (conducted through the Isaac doll, on page 279).

eras10 wrote:
    I don't know why the action figure is crying.

It's a reference to the Binding of Isaac video game series. Isaac is a baby that is basically always crying (disclaimer: I have not played any games in the series so I don't know if this changes; all promotional art I've seen has him crying). Part of that Signamancy is explained in page 278.

eras10 wrote:
    I don't know what Wanda is doing.

Telling Isaac about Maxwell's lion (presumably as payment for the Deissac's uncovering of Spacerock's portal column). See page 279 for more details.

eras10 wrote:
    I had to reread what happened to the Wrench, and I genuinely forget where the Arkenpliers went.

As far as I remember, the 'pliers were last seen in Spacerock (page 228).

I admit I had to lookup pages to get specific details.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:16 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf
    Jaxad0127 wrote:
    eras10 wrote:
    I don't know why the action figure is crying.

It's a reference to the Binding of Isaac video game series. Isaac is a baby that is basically always crying (disclaimer: I have not played any games in the series so I don't know if this changes; all promotional art I've seen has him crying). Part of that Signamancy is explained in page 278.

Isaac in the game shoots his tears as projectiles, so no, he never stops crying.

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:33 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    I feel exactly the same honestly. There are too many story line he’s ongoing, too many characters developing, too many plot lines.

It also really didn’t help that in hindsight it was stated that Book 3 was already finished and we were underway in Book 4. This really bamboozled my whole feeling towards the comic, as I was expecting some grand finale for a long time and twists just kept happening.

I do have to say erfworld kind of lost its charm for me. I miss the good old battles without OP stuff. It all just doesn’t make sense to me anymore..

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:27 pm 
    I've thought a while about whether this would work, and my conclusion is that it wouldn't.

If you want a reminder about what happened in the previous pages, every page has a link to it's previous page. If you still have questions about what is happening on a page, you can always ask on the Reactions thread and probably get some useful answers.

But if you want a ready made resource that answers question ranging from "what are these pillars with glowy glyphs on them?" to "Why is the Binding of Isaac doll crying?" to "What's Wanda doing?" and "Where are the Arkenpliers" then it would be very thick and unwieldy.

I think it is helpful to have the page by page thumbnails of the book you're in, so you can sorta look over the flow of the story and spot which pages are likely to have the specific information you want. There are links for each Book overview at the top of each comic page. But a through enough description of each plot element to be useful would have to be larger than the books, because it would be summarizing the story so far from the perspective of how it involves each of dozens of characters and plausibly hundreds of plot factors.

Also, there is the issue of image lookup, like to get information on a visual element you can't identify definitely by name (or you'd already know what it was). That's super hard.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:29 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    extremely short version is once upon a time a group of friends got together and built a cool thing. it ran pretty well and had lots of interesting little simulations going at once but after a while something was becoming unbalanced. they patched in a few new characters to try and correct the imbalance but, it didn't want to be corrected. instead it messed with the patches that were supposed to smooth the whole program out again and now they are doing all kinds of wonky stuff, one doing far too much and the other far too passive. Now they decided to outsource and called in a kind of tech support for their world to fix the problem. The thing is there is a bit of language barrier in that he kind of gets the terminology of the system but not really and needs a lot more hand holding than anticipated. He also has other ideas of acceptable workaround to solve the original imbalance and is causing new problems as he is ostensibly working on fixing what he was called in for. we are seeing how much like any coder he is creating spiraling problems with his attempts to patch the original one.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:45 pm 
    It's really very simple:

huh..

I tried to just follow things related to the dirtamancers starting with where they ended up on page 291 (which is bullcwap) but couldn't sort the names, much less the general train of events.

Turns out no one has both the ability and the inclination to give a recap for this mess.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:08 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Is a recap one of the powers of Hatamancers? I do whonder, since we have seen little of them. but it seems like a good possibility, even if its only on my Headcannon :P

It's allies about the hair Contest <- Extended until 1st March..

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld