Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:04 pm 
This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
I've been struggling to find the update where it's mentioned that one of the reasons X royal is upset with GK(?) is that they don't care about the customs involved when dealing with defeated royalty and nobility prior to croaking them.

It made me think: okay, there's no such thing as funerals or digging graves, and the book 0 "stone garden" of Wanda's proves there's no cemeteries. But there are statuary adornments for fallen casters and heirs. Spacerock under Jetstone had the busts (heehee) of fallen heirs near the ceiling of the throne room. And every portal room seems to have paintings or tapestries of fallen casters.

So, what passes for funerals? What customs do you think exist for actually dealing with a captured noble or royal when they want to croak them honorably and do it the 'right' way?

The only thing I can think of is that in canon, death is such a horrid taboo, and the disposal of bodies such an automatic convenience, no one but the staunchest royals who are fervent Scripture scholars knows or cares.

Here's my Erfics: Hungry Jungle. -- Completed!

The Overlord's New Clothes -- Two parter, Completed

Unjust Deserts -- Completed!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:33 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Spicymancer wrote:
    What customs do you think exist for actually dealing with a captured noble or royal when they want to croak them honorably and do it the 'right' way?

I think if you're croaking captured royals, you're already doing it "the wrong way". I imagine the Royal ideal in Erfworld is kind of like what we saw in Stupidworld in the highest moments of "high chivalry". If you were a foot soldier you just got massacred, but if you were royalty you'd essentially become a long-term honored guest of the victor, who couldn't leave till an appropriate ransom was paid.
    ... And much like in Stupidworld, it's probably quite rare to see things play out that way in Erfworld.

Assuming both sides are honor-bound Royal sides, executing a captive noble would probably only be done in cases of treachery or dishonesty by the captive's side, or if active hostilities resume. So if the captive tries to break out, or if the captive's side chooses to execute its own royal prisoners rather than doing a prisoner exchange, he might be executed. Same goes if the captors' city is besieged again.
    The most "honorable" execution would probably be by the King or Queen's own hand, with a regalia weapon like the Royal Scepter of Jetstone, or a Titanic artifact like the Arkenpliers. Much regretful speechifying, of course, would precede and follow the deed. The croaked body might then be put in the finest guest chamber's bed to await depopping, and until then everyone would refer to the deceased as if he were simply taking a nap or sleeping off a bit too much wine.
    And the most dishonorable would be pushing them off a cliff, drowning them, confiscating their rations, or some other non-combative means of croaking them, followed by just leaving their body wherever it fell. Much reproachful speechifying to the captive's side would, of course, ensue ;)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:21 pm 
    This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Yeah, but I imagine even unilaterally honorable and royal sides prefer to put on these shows as a way of telegraphing how much better they are. There was that big chunk of scripture about treating even the traitorous and dishonorable honorably for the sake of the Titans.

I like your room/sleeping idea, but that touches on the part that puzzles me most; how much can you interact with a body without claiming it? Has it been stated if Claiming a body so it won't depop is caused by simply moving, or is it touching, or touching with intent that causes the claim?

Because if it's plain old touching, then they probably prefer to hold stately royal executions in out of the way halls or rooms so they can ignore the body for the rest of the turn.

Hmm.

In the absence of blood, if they wanted to rules lawyer, the execution could be carried out on top of a very fine (magic) carpet. Then they can roll up the body without technically claiming it and move it elsewhere.

Here's my Erfics: Hungry Jungle. -- Completed!

The Overlord's New Clothes -- Two parter, Completed

Unjust Deserts -- Completed!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:38 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Spicymancer wrote:
    I like your room/sleeping idea, but that touches on the part that puzzles me most; how much can you interact with a body without claiming it?

The corpses in Portal Park were apparently lined up for identification without being claimed. Janis wasn't allowed to claim Marie until she pinky swore that Marie would want it that way. Similarly with the Croakamancers that claimed the bodies no one else wanted. It's possible that they were technically claimed by the first people to touch them, and what we're talking about here are just transfers, but I'm leaning toward saying the bodies stay unclaimed until someone takes a specific "claiming" action.
    My speculation: claiming only happens when a Commander unit touches or moves the body while forming the specific intent (either by expressing verbally or via Natural Thinkamancy - similar to orders) to capital-C Claim it.

On a related note, I wonder if there's a "coup de grace" mechanism on willing units, sort of like harvesting. Maybe just a tap is enough if the victim is submitting to execution.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld