Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post subject: This is Sparta Contest!
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:11 pm 
Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
Well, got enough Schmuckers and its time again to get some nice people on forums writing awesome fictions!

The theme I was going to use previously was "Ponyland" with omg my little ponies as a side. but then I recalled an old Spartan story of them throwing the babies thru a cliff and decided that it could lead to awesome Stories about a side that throws popped units thru a cliff (or prisoners thru a pit) and only the strongest/luckiest ones are worth.
So here are the rules.

1.) Write a Story in which a side throws regularly units by a cliff, it doesn't really need to be spartans, aztects with weird rituals are welcomed too. but I want to read about a side doing that as a mean to get stronger.

2.) Deadline is 15/05/2017 you ought to have enough time to write something, even if final exams are coming. :3

3.) First price 30 Schmuckers 2nd 20 Schmuckers, 3rd 10 Schmuckers, 1 Runner ups with 5 and 2 honorable mention with 1 schmucker each.

4.) Can I be a Co-Judge? To be decided, may I decide to go with public ballot this time.

5.) Entries must be posted on this thread.

6.) I wish all of you luck and may your entry be choosen.

with all that, I'll add a link to my signature to bring attention to the thread! :)

Retconjured: The date of closure have passed from 23/4/2017 to 15/05/2017 to allow people with finals to participate. but it will not be touched again, since it took me a lot of juice to do so :p

It's allies about the hair Contest <- Extended until 1st March..

Last edited by Vendanna on Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:50 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user is a Tool! Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner
    Cool idea. Probably a month would be better for getting more submissions, but that depends whether you care more about maximizing contributions or getting to the contest quicker.

*A Very Erfworld Questmas - Peace on Erf.
    *Blast From The Past - 10 part story about an army frozen in time. Finished!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:41 pm 
    Three little questions:

One, is there any particular length range you want, or just long enough to get the idea across?

Two, are you talking about the Inspection or the agoge? The Inspection was just to weed out handicapped kids: the cliff was just a weasel, "We'll leave them there for three days, and if the gods want them to survive, they'll survive." They didn't, of course.

The agoge was where they toughened the kids up, sorting out the weak from the strong and the affable from the ruthless. Do you want a story that does both at once?

Also, does it have to be a cliff? I've got a couple interesting ideas: a storm hex at sea for a naval side and flying over an impassible mountain for a flyer side. They'd have the same spirit, if not the same mechanic.

A tale from Erfworld: The Retconjurer

A tale of Rhyme-o-mancy: The Noble Gasses

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:36 pm 
    This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user posted the comment of the month
    Ditto on the question of length. I've got a neat idea that could work off of this, but it'd be nice to know how long to make it.

Here's my Erfics: Hungry Jungle. -- Completed!

The Overlord's New Clothes -- Two parter, Completed

Unjust Deserts -- Completed!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:59 pm 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    To be clear...you mean 'throw a unit OFF a cliff'.

YOu said 'thru' a cliff, which implies into and through the dirt to the other side of whatever body of earth the cliff is part of.

I'm presuming you mean the former...off a cliff to a fall and landing at the bottom.

'Thru' a cliff is doable...just markedly different.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:29 pm 
    Any lenght is fine. off a cliff or similar. basically your side Must be sacrificing units by some weird way to grow stronger. the proposed idea is abusing the "Falling" mechanic to grow stronger, but it doesn't really need to be a cliff. (like said with the storm hex above)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:27 pm 
    Vendanna wrote:
    The theme I was going to use previously was "Ponyland" with omg my little ponies as a side.

Not sure if you've seen it, but there is just such a story: Caligula's Legacy.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:28 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! This user has been published! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    Yeah, Caligula's Legacy already explored the My Little Pony angle.

Similarly, I remember reading a Sparta/Erfworld fanfic at some point. If I could find it I'd recommend it to be automatically considered for this contest, since it did an excellent job of combining Sparta and Erfworld. The test for the fittest was for each new stack to be immediately engaged in mortal combat by a previously popped stack, to see if the new units were worthy to join the Side which used sporks instead of spears. I think there was even a pit scene, where the king and his guards pushed smarmy condescending ambassadors from a huge approaching Side into a pit, yelling "This. Is. SPORKA!"

And I'm interested in the contest, but I really shouldn't take the time before the 26th. Finals are slightly more important. I don't think you've given us much time to notice and write...

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:13 am 
    HighJumper wrote:
    Yeah, Caligula's Legacy already explored the My Little Pony angle.

And I'm interested in the contest, but I really shouldn't take the time before the 26th. Finals are slightly more important. I don't think you've given us much time to notice and write...

Well, I may extend the time of the contest later on, to allow people with finals get them over with.
    Not really interested on "using your own units to fight your own units" since that doesn't look like "exploiting" a mechanic (using storming hex, fall mechanics, etc...) and even if in cannon we have seen an unit killing his own side units, from a game stand point that's silly unless you are playing "dungeon keeper" and had vampires and warlocks on the same side... :o

Edit: I'm thinking to make the deadline the 14 of next month.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:49 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter E is for Erfworld Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    Vendanna wrote:
    "exploiting" a mechanic (using storming hex, fall mechanics, etc...)

I was turning this over in my head, but it seems to me that exploiting the fall mechanics just wouldn't work because it ultimately comes down to Luckamancy whether a given fall will croak you or not. It's been strongly suggested that a unit's Numbers will average out to zero in the long run, so any luck you "cash in" on surviving a fall will have to be counterbalanced by bad luck later. So you'd never want to intentionally have a unit fall, unless it's a situation like the Battle of Spacerock, where there's no other way to get where you need to go.

Maybe you could create "luck drained" units by repeatedly submitting them to falls. Is there any limit to how bad your luck can get? Can it get bad enough to take your enemies with you?
    I'm picturing a unit who survived 1000 falls going into battle, accidentally dropping his sword, and the sword hits the ground at just the wrong angle at just the wrong time in just the wrong place, opening up a volcano under his feet :lol:

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:56 pm 
    This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user posted the comment of the month
    Finally done, here's my entry.

The Wolves of Wallst.

It's kinda "hot off the presses", any chance I might change it based on reader comments before the contests close date?

Anyhoo, thanks for hosting the contest Vendana! :D

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:40 am 
    Spicymancer wrote:
    Finally done, here's my entry.

It's kinda "hot off the presses", any chance I might change it based on reader comments before the contests close date?

Anyhoo, thanks for hosting the contest Vendana! :D

all people can retconjure their entries until the deadline, which I'll inform personally on the thread. after that I'll read all the entries and place them on the list. the honorable mentions and the runner up will probably go "popular voting" based, thou I'll assign personally the 3 finalists (of course this only happens if there is enough entries)

Good luck everyone.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:41 am 
    So I just decided to go with a plain translation of Sparta to Erfworld. Hope you enjoy it!

Any comments will help me hone my craft!

This is Speartip

A tale from Erfworld: The Retconjurer

A tale of Rhyme-o-mancy: The Noble Gasses

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:03 pm 
    Whew, the dreaded 15/05 finals exam week! Looking forward to it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:30 am 
    informing everyone that only 3 more days are left for the contest with awesome prizes. and only 2 entries submitted so far.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:49 pm 
    Welp! it seems that the time choosen for the contest has been poorly decided, not enough participation, at least not as much as I would have hoped for. (only 2 entries)

Just informing participants that tomorrow around 9 am (9 hours 15 mins from now) I will probably mark Thread closed and read the entries on their final form. then give prices along a small review of the entries in question.

Thanks for all readers, and don't forget that the contest will end soon!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:14 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! This user has been published! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    Thank you for extending the deadline on my account, both to yesterday and overnight so that this finally constructed silliness can actually be submitted for this contest.

I got fixated on showing a Side that regularly throws units off a cliff because that sounded particularly interesting, although I do enjoy the other two entries.

Here it is, It's Yer Berth Day.

And I even managed to make it a fanfic of a particular xkcd comic, which is recommended reading either before, after, or both. I think that one's that good.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:20 am 
    Ok. No more entries/retcons are allowed past this timeline. Contest is closed. at a later date today I'll read entries as previously stated. Stay ondish!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:50 pm 
    Sorry it took so long to get the final tally to be done, I had personal problems that I don't want to discuss there, but finally I got to complete this thing. ^^

Lets start with a the small reviews, but first we should not forget the important part:

1.) Write a Story in which a side throws regularly units by a cliff, it doesn't really need to be spartans, aztects with weird rituals are welcomed too. but I want to read about a side doing that as a mean to get stronger.

So far, the participating entries covered all of this, so kudos to them for the enjoyable reading, especially during a bad time as its final exams.

The Wolves of Wallst: Great tale, characters quite interesting especially the pragmatic luckamancer and the moneymancer queen. I found curious that schmukers (which feels like invisible numbers) on erfworld could turn into pendants but then its like buying them with the currency so its not far fetched. The only thing that bothered me its the side ending at the end without really seeing it getting stronger. that's a bit of a minus. Another problem is that ferals ain't a side per se, it would have been easier to get them to be "natural allies", there has been no mention of what would happen if natural allies take a capital site and could have been nice to explore that. Kudos for the tale.

This is speartip: A nice conversion of the tale into erfworld, the characters have been interesting, and an epic battle at the end showing that, indeed, the tactic has made them stronger. interesting idea of a city without walls to boot. but... you should take into account that on erfworld unled infantry its literally mindless. I suppose the "elite" thing makes them knight type at least in decision making. otherwise the fights we see wouldn't have played like they did.

As others as mentioned on the comments, inserting a dance fighting but not using it on the tale is a bit of letdown, you could have brought instead an interesting special to the tale, like balder did with the seafaring. All in all, I had a nice reading.

Its yer Berth day: funny story, the side indeed good stronger and the caster made sure their queen was safe, while it may look quite cruel what they do with their units, its what we had to expect based on the requisites I imposed on the story, loved the 365 turns and the berthday pun. not so much the "stopping time" since we haven't been told what caster type is nome ann I suspect that at least hatamancer since the side signamantically have gnome hats. also jerking is not something I would expect to come as a word in erfworld. O.o

And now for the last part. The final rankings.

The Third price is for "this is speartip" by Tadtornhill. :shock:
    The Second place goes to Spycimancer for his tale of the Wolves of Wallst. :geek:

And first place goes to Highjumper "It's yer berthday" tale.

Thanks to all participants for giving me some nice readings, for making erfworld a richer world and hope to see you again when I get to issue a next contest.

Retconjuration (aka edit): Prices have been sent, sorry for taking so long. bear with me (which its an heavy fur unit) :p

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:52 pm 
    Thank you Vendanna!

It's always a blast when you throw a fanfic competition! :D

Vendanna wrote:
    The Wolves of Wallst: Great tale, characters quite interesting especially the pragmatic luckamancer and the moneymancer queen. I found curious that schmukers (which feels like invisible numbers) on erfworld could turn into pendants but then its like buying them with the currency so its not far fetched. The only thing that bothered me its the side ending at the end without really seeing it getting stronger. that's a bit of a minus. Another problem is that ferals ain't a side per se, it would have been easier to get them to be "natural allies", there has been no mention of what would happen if natural allies take a capital site and could have been nice to explore that. Kudos for the tale.

Yeah, Moneymancers can make Gems out of Shmuckers, so the queen was just creating them out of her own treasury and the Luckamancer set them in cheap leather necklaces.

Drat, I had actually meant for the reveal of the wolf talking at the end to be understood as them being Natural Allies (Ferals haven't ever been shown to talk) but the side near them was too shortsighted to actually notice, thinking them stupid ferals. I know the contest is over, but I'll rewrite that a bit so it's clearer. In hindsight, yeah, I suppose they should have gotten to enjoy their Ill Gotten Gains before the hammer came down, for maximum karmic carnage. ;) :twisted:

Anyway, thank you!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld