Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:57 pm 
Site Admin
This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
"Preparing to Party" sounds awesome doesn't it? But it takes a lot of organization and a lot of work.

In 2014, we planned and organized an Erfworld Fan Gathering at Gencon. We rented a conference room in the J.W. Marriott where everyone could meet and play card and board games. We rented the Hippo Party Bus so we could rotate people in and out for a ride around town. We had sodas and snacks and of course, our infamous "Bus fuel" beverage.

Let me tell you a well kept secret: Several things did not go as planned.

1) We couldn't leave the Gencon Dealers room until the dealers room closed at 6:00pm.

2) The walk from the dealers room to the J.W. Marriot was on the complete opposite side of the convention center from where we were. We had lots of stuff we had to lug with us to the party room and we needed to be at the room before 7:00pm.

3) When we finally made it to the room we were assigned (and previously told everyone else who was planning to come), we discovered that it had been overbooked and was being utilized by someone else and they weren't moving.

4) As the clock ticked down we scrambled in search of another room. Fortunately, we found another room nearby.

5) The party room was on the second floor. Rob changed into his party attire then needed to go downstairs to meet with the Hippo Party Bus driver. Someone needed to stay in the room to welcome the guests. There was very little time for me to change out of my dealer room clothes and into something more festive. I was this close to just saying screw it, there just isn't enough time. But at the last minute I grabbed my things, ran to the nearest Ladies Room and changed my clothes. I did not have enough time to touch up my make up and barely combed my hair. In hindsight I'm glad I changed my clothes! XD

Despite all of these unfortunate bumps in the road, the Erfworld Fan Gathering was a great success. Everyone who joined us were just so wonderful and friendly and fun to be around. (If you don't know me, I'm a painful introvert...and not a gamer.) They helped us celebrate Rob's surprise proposal to me and they truly seemed to be happy for us. It made all the difference in the world for both of us.

Rotating everyone for the Hippo Party Bus rides went smoothly and I finally got to go on the last ride of the night. XD

You may be wondering why I'm telly you this story. I'm wondering that myself actually. :?

Well, this year we're going to WorldCon which is being held in Helsinki, Finland.

We'd like to have another Erfworld Fan Gathering but this one will be extra special. We're planning to celebrate our wedding. I've never planned an overseas party before. We've booked the venue but now I need some numbers.

It would be helpful to get a decent guestimate of how many Erfworld fans intend to join us. We're really looking forward to meeting our Nordic fans and the fans who are planning to attend WorldCon. You do not have to buy a WorldCon membership/ticket to attend our party. Our event will not be at the same venue as WorldCon.

At the risk of sounding repetitive: "Preparing to party" sounds awesome, but it takes a lot of organization and work. So if you join us and things don't go smoothly please know that sometimes things don't always go as planned. :D

RSVP here in the forums if you plan to party on August 11th in Helsinki with the Titan and a Tool. :-)

Linda
Team Erfworld

Edited to add the date of the event. Time of event TBD. :oops:

4/27/2017 - ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

I should have mentioned that there will be limited seating, however, we're assuming people will be coming and going through the duration of the party so hopefully this won't be an issue.

Also, I don't know if the venue is wheelchair accessible. :-(

Just call me Baldino. It's what you get when you combine Balder with Paolino.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:22 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary This user is a Tool! Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Hi, Linda. I'm definitely planning to be at Worldcon with my wife and son, and I'm certainly hoping to meet you and Rob and the rest of the team sometime during Worldcon. Do you have an idea when the party will be? And will it be a "drop in anytime during X-Y PM to celebrate with us event," or is it more of a "hey, we're actually getting married during this celebration, so please plan to be there for the whole thing"?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:00 am 
    Site Admin
    This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    dewtell wrote:
    Do you have an idea when the party will be? And will it be a "drop in anytime during X-Y PM to celebrate with us event," or is it more of a "hey, we're actually getting married during this celebration, so please plan to be there for the whole thing"?

That is an excellent question. And pooh on me for forgetting to at least provide the date! :o I should probably go back and edit my post. :?

We will be celebrating on Friday, August 11th. I believe we have the venue for the entire day. We haven't yet set a specific start time but the definite end time is 1:00am.

We will certainly welcome all drop-ins and we'll let everyone know when we've committed to a specific time frame and what the specific event will entail.

Everything at the moment is a work in progress and I don't have the details nailed down yet. My first mission is to try to figure out how many people will attend even if they are not all there at the same time or stay throughout the duration.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:44 pm 
    Site Admin
    dewtell wrote:
    Hi, Linda. I'm definitely planning to be at Worldcon with my wife and son...

Well, I hope you show up hungry because it looks like it's going to be just Team Erfworld and you guys. :lol:

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:02 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary This user is a Tool! Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    It looks like the Hugo Awards will be on Friday evening this year, and we're definitely going to want to go to the ceremony, so I'll want to stop by either before or after that. (The last two years, the Hugos have been on Saturday night). Not sure if the rest of my family will want to come too, but I'll try to encourage them. Hopefully, you'll be able to get some pick-up interest at the con if you pass the word. Are you guys going to be doing the Dealer's room, or just hanging out at the con the rest of the time?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:59 pm 
    Site Admin
    dewtell wrote:
    Are you guys going to be doing the Dealer's room, or just hanging out at the con the rest of the time?

We are only planning to hang out at the con and do some sightseeing. :-)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:23 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    I marked off WorldCon in my calendar as soon as you announced that you would be there, so I'm definately going to show up.

Making this one a 'sticky' or even an 'announcement' would probably also help in getting those RSVPs. I've been awaiting this topic ever since Rob mentioned it during the last KS, so if I've missed the invitation so far, so has probably many others.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:55 am 
    Site Admin
    Knott wrote:
    Making this one a 'sticky' or even an 'announcement' would probably also help in getting those RSVPs. I've been awaiting this topic ever since Rob mentioned it during the last KS, so if I've missed the invitation so far, so has probably many others.

I'm not very forums oriented and hadn't thought of that. :|

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:38 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Year of the Dwagon Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Yahoo Messenger: goodrid8
    AOL: goodrid3
    As much as I would love to attend, I'm not really willing to go to Finland, so you can scratch me off of your notional guest list. Or, I guess, not put me on it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:44 pm 
    I'm here in Helsinki, looking forward to Worldcon stuff starting tomorrow, and looking for the details about the party. Our schedules for Friday are filling up pretty fast, so I'm hoping to nail down a time with the rest of my family when we can plan on joining you guys for at least a short time. If you need to reach me quickly, email to dave@sebastian9.com should go to my phone (though my data connection has been somewhat erratic).

Dave Wallace (dewtell)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:33 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit
    I am at Worldcon, too. Was trying to find out if you have a table or something. Forums don't really work well on my phone, so I had to jump through hoops to even recognize it is logged in...

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:42 am 
    Site Admin
    For anyone who is still interested in attending the party it will be held on Suomennlina Island in the Gunpowder Magazine bunker. We'll have the place for the entire day for all to come and go at your convenience starting around 5:00pm until midnight. You'll need to take the water taxi/ferry to get there and back to the mainland.

We do not have anything planned at Worldcon itself so catching up with us there will be tricky.

Feel free to post any questions here or email me at gobwinknob@gmail.com.

Regards,

Linda
    Team Erfworld

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:08 am 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld IRC Quote of the Moment This user got funny with a rodent This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Oh man, Linda had this covered better than I knew. Whew.

Dewtell, I think in deference to the Hugos (which, sadly, we won't be able to attend, for obvious reasons), we will be around the gunpowder room at 3pm, but may shut things down to get ready for the party at 4. Or not. It's going to be extremely casual. This was originally intended as a huge "world fan gathering" for Team Erfworld and the European readers, but because of the hiatus and things, it turned into "let's wing it and just have fun." Xin was unable to make the trip and I'm actually not sure if Lauri will be there either, but the rest of the team is in Helsinki and we're gonna relax and have a good time drinking vodka on an island fortress (and for me and Linda, getting married.)

As before, email Linda at gobwinknob@gmail.com with any questions. See you all soon!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:41 am 
    Tool Me Twice wrote:
    it will be held on Suomennlina Island

Oh wow. That's quite a way from the con... :think: Need to check if there are panels I /really/wanna attend...

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:48 pm 
    Guys, I really hate to say this, because I've been looking forward to coming to the party and I know you've put a lot of effort into trying to provide a spectacular venue and great party, but this really doesn't feel like it's going to work for me. If you're coming to Worldcon on Saturday and Sunday, maybe we can pick a time to get together in the afternoon and plan to gather at the fan lounge or one of the coffee shops/restaurants or something. I do hope that anyone who wants to come to Worldcon has already purchased their membership, because they've just announced that they have cut off day pass sales because things are so oversubscribed. Sorry plan A doesn't seem to be working.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:54 am 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld IRC Quote of the Moment This user got funny with a rodent This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Yep, we understand, Dewtell. I think we should plan to have all Erfworld readers who are attending WorldCon meet in the fan lounge at 6pm tomorrow (Saturday), chat for an hour or so, and see if we want to go out to eat or something.

In the meantime, for anyone reading this, we are running behind and are back to the original schedule of starting things at 5 pm. Sorry about that, but there wasn't time to figure out all the shopping, transportation, and other logistics.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:16 am 
    If anyone else is coming, it's called Ruutikellari on google maps.

Ruutikellari
    https://goo.gl/maps/zrcF3jyH5ay

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld