Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:26 pm 
E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
I find myself of late in a position where I am needing funds somewhat urgently due to a personal emergency, so I am trying to liquidate what assets I can.

In the spirit of this, I'm willing to start selling the exactly 1001 schmuckers I have accrued over several years of toolship. As most anyone aware of the purpose of schmuckers (aside from as a thing to tip with) they are worth $0.10 each as store credit. Since book three is probably going to be coming out soon (I don't think we've got much more book to go through!) and Christmas is coming up, maybe someone here would like to buy a family member a dwagon plushy at a discount. (Or maybe you'd just like to be able to tip people? I don't know, up to you!)

Because, you see, I am selling these schmuckers at $0.08 each. Wheee, that's a 20% discount on schmucker value! I can only take payments via paypal, so PM me if you are interested and we'll talk.

(I took a look at the forum rules before I did this, I don't THINK this is against them..? Sorry if I missed something..)

Last edited by Kaed on Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:09 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Sorry about your personal emergency. Huh, I don't know if anyone has done this before. I'm also not sure it's allowed, or necessarily a good precedent to set even if it is. Although you seem trustworthy, there's a lot of possibility for fraud when selling virtual currency through paypal. The seller might not provide the items, and you're also at risk. A dishonest buyer could file a false dispute with paypal to reverse the payment. Paypal is notorious for screwing over sellers of virtual goods, if the buyer pulls this kind of scam.

One thing that might be a little less fraught with peril is to buy physical Erfworld items from the store, then auction them off over eBay, although that would eat up some of your money with shipping expenses, and has its own issues.

*Blast From The Past - Multi-part series currently on Part 9! Last updated on Nov. 26th.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:40 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    You make some fair points, but I intend to do this in good faith, and the risk would mostly be to me if there is some sort of paypal scam. So unless someone in the Erfworld team asks me to stop, I don't think I can really afford to pass up the opportunity to gain what I can out of this.

As for the merch resell thing, I guess... I dunno, it seems like buying some dwagon plushes to sell on ebay is a much more risky proposition. If no one bids on them, I've wasted schmuckers AND shipping.

I guess there's also the alternative to just ask for donations, but that never seems to go anywhere. People giving money to strangers for nothing in return (and without involving a charity organization) is a low-probability scenario in my experience.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:28 pm 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld IRC Quote of the Moment This user got funny with a rodent This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    The team brought this thread to my attention, and I have spent the last two or three hours looking into the question of whether we should allow this kind of exchange. The answer is not simple. I will not be able to give you a complete answer, probably until I've gotten some expert legal and accounting advice.

We sort of invented Shmuckers. They're not exactly a "virtual currency" or "in game currency" or a gift certificate or a coupon. They exist only on our site, and they only have value if we honor them as a discount credit on a purchase.

They clearly are transferable from user to user, and we've always intended to honor them at 10 cents per Shmucker in the Erfworld store. The one exception is when we have suspended someone's account for misbehaving on the site, in which case their Shmuckers are void and will not be refunded. (This has never happened, and I'd be shocked if it did. Incidents of suspending anyone for anything generally only happen three to six months apart around here.)

We never intended this use of Shmuckers. It doesn't feel like we should allow it. You're not allowed to sell most manufacturers' coupons, for example. Game publishers have fought gold farmers and game-currency exchanges since the dawn of online gaming.

Why is that the case? I'm not completely sure. I am trying to identify the specific concerns I have, and the pitfalls we want to watch out for here, so I can make a clear policy statement about it.

For now, I'm going to chime in and say that this one sale is okay.

Kaed is a supporter and a valued contributor to the community. If he's facing a hardship right now, and he's looking to the Erfworld community for help, then that's not something I want to stonewall just because I have a vague feeling we shouldn't allow the sale of Shmuckers. We never intended for people to be pledging more than they can afford, giving Erfworld their lunch money and going hungry. If you feel like taking him up on this, we'll honor the Shmuckers he transfers to you.

Sometime in the new year, I will have to get some legal help on this. We'll drafts and post some "Shmuckers terms of use." :charlie:

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:02 pm 
    Thank you for your okay on this situation, Rob. I feel sort of bad putting you in this place having to make a call here, but since I was willing to pull the post down if you no'ed it, I guess you okaying it is worth the opposite, at least.

Thus far, no one has really contacted me, and I sort of feel like the interest in a 'schmucker clearance sale' is not a thing, so it might be that this doesn't even become an issue.

Either way, it's probably also an important thing to decide one what exactly one is allowed to do with schmuckers for the future. I get the sense this is something you never really considered until I posted this thread!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:46 pm 
    Thanks to the fellow who purchased all my schmuckers in one go, I have none left to sell. Thank you, guy who knows who he is and can name himself if he wants!

• Tipped by 3 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld