Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:00 pm 
Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! This user got funny with a rodent Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
So for a while now I've wondered about the policy of have all schmuckers be 100% convertible to store purchases. I don't think the authors are using the money that comes in through the toolshed to put things up for sale in the store. They are using it (correctly IMO) to pay the staff and bills. This keeps this content flowing out to us and artists deserve to be paid for their work. Here is the rub. It means they really cant put much in the way of physical items up on the store ever again. They would have to invest in a production run of something, lets say a new stuffed orly. That costs money and as previously noted the money gets used for other things. So they would have to take away from paying staff and bills and put it instead into a run of plushies. Sure they can sell those orlys at a "profit" - but remember for many people the team never actually gets paid for the Orly, they get Schmuckers. Certainly some things don't have production costs like PDF's , and more of that kind of thing would help. This is where an Auction house could come in. Maybe instead of a PDF they instead do a page of custom art. sure they could price it, and put it up on the store, but the prices that gems are going for makes me think an auction is better. I have to think a nice piece of even digital art (More if it was a print) could rake in thousands of schmuckers, and it doesn't matter that its only schmuckers because it didn't cost the author anything but time. Of course, the artists time is valuable and of limited supply, so here's where an auction house could really shine- Fan made content. Stories like Twofer's "Ethereum". (One of my favorites) 3-d Units, Fan Art, etc. 50% to the fan - 50% to the Erfworld team. This lets them take the schmuckers off the books, keeping them valuable and reducing their "accounts payable." It would take some team time to develop the webpage mechanics, but I think it could work.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:36 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf This user is a Tool! Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Seems helpful. Not sure how you mean fan-made content though. Are you suggesting Twofer and Team Erfworld do a print of Ethereum and auction them off?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:11 pm 
    This user is a Tool! IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    I sort of agree and disagree with you there.

As for auctioning off exclusive items as a way to burn Shmuckers out of the community, yeah that would probably be a good way to achieve that.
    The problem is, I hate exclusive items. Because I have a tendency to want most of them while being unable to afford them. And if stuff got auctioned, I could maybe afford one or two and then thats it. So thats a big NO! from me for that.

As for gem prizes, those are insane right now and will drop over time. Drastically, unless I am very wrong (Yes, that says the guy who has profited the most so far from selling gems, I know.)

Now more digital goods, available for all readers at normal prices, that would be awesome, especially as they have numerous advantages over physical goods:

First, once a pdf is finished it won't require additional resources from the Team ever again, no matter how often it sells. Once you ran out of physical goods, you have to produce more of them, perhaps at worse conditions as the first time. Also, you have to set that up and invest time and more money in the process.

And the second advantage is that digital goods do not require shipping. Believe me, if you do not live in the USA, thats a damm big deal.

For example, I love the Pin Ups. I would absoletely love to get my hands on the calender from 2016. The 10 bucks would be totally worth it. The 22 bucks I have to spend on shipping I cannot justify. Now, to seven of those Pin Ups are available to me trough the Art Blog, but the first 5 where exclusive to the backers in digital form (4 mini versions are available in the toolbox so I only miss out on one). Did I mention that I hate exclusive stuff? Especially if the shipping costs prevent me from backing.

So, a big YES from me to more digital goods in the Erfworld store. Actually I had the same idea a while back and asked for a pdf version of the "A Duel in the Somme" book. I would buy it.

Well, Rob did say one of his goals was to find new ways for the community to spend Shmuckers. So lets hope.

If someone on the Team could figure out alternative means of shipping, perhaps per ship instead of plane which would be less expensive, that might also help a lot. Thats something that could be done by anyone with knowledge about the topic in the USA. Suggestions anyone?

The Imperfect Warlord

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:31 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user is a Tool! Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Most new products seem to be initially pre-sold through kickstarter, for cash. This means that shmuckers aren't an obstacle to developing new goods.

They fund the initial product run through kickstarter. I'm assuming they produce more than needed to fulfill backer rewards, and this extra is where their inventory for the store comes from.
    So when you buy something with shmuckers, you'd denying Rob the opportunity to sell that particular piece of merchandise to someone else for cash, but it isn't like he's desperately waiting to recoup the investment since it was paid for by kickstarter backers.

That being said, yes, it would be a good idea to have more digital goods to increase their profits and remove shmuckers from circulation.

It might be a good idea to do a kickstarter specifically to fund creating new digital units. I don't know how many Lauri made before he left, but unless he made a massive stockpile that could last years, it'd be nice to have digital merchandise that costs nothing to produce and has no shipping fees. Before that kickstarter they should probably nail down their grand overall strategy for how 3d units fit into the site, if they haven't decided yet.

*A Very Erfworld Questmas - Peace on Erf.
    *Blast From The Past - 10 part story about an army frozen in time. Finished!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:43 pm 
    Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! This user got funny with a rodent Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    I agree with you that somethings don't make sense for a "only the highest bidder gets one" auction, but it could also sell things at fixed prices. Units are perfect for this. The gems have placement functionality on the little green hill. Imagine a larger hex where you can arrange your units into battle formation. Let this be shareable on your profile and people would want dozens or more. Sell them at 50 Schmuckers a pop and in the first day hundreds of thousands of schmuckers would be removed from circulation, on top of probably generating a fair amount of cash income in the store.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:47 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter This user is a Tool! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    I may be mis-remembering, but aren't Units going to require upkeep? Like, we have Decrypted units available now that specifically do not require upkeep. But, in the future, units can may cost shmuckers on a monthly(?) basis and can be traded for other units or even just sold to other forum members for shmuckers.

That may be a worthwhile economy, especially if we start getting special units, like casters or heavies or ferals.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:17 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter E is for Erfworld Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Burley wrote:
    I may be mis-remembering, but aren't Units going to require upkeep?

Rob mentioned somewhere recently that they decided not to do that anymore.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:57 am 
    It's a great idea for killing schmuckers, but I think it would make people frustrated who aren't tools. You give them (or they get) this nice thing, then they need to pay real world money if they want to keep it. Sure they don't have to, but people care about digital rewards or badges wouldn't be a thing. I think just getting more of them out there could take a couple of forms.

Imagine:
    An Unlimited number of standard Infantry for available on the store- 50 Schmuckers each
    100 Heavy Knights that are sold on auction to the 100 highest bidders - maybe they go for an average of 200 each?
    A Single Juggle Elf sold to the highest bidder - probably thousands.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:40 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter This user is a Tool! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    I think, if the mining rewards were Units instead of Gems, there'd be a lot more movement of shmuckers and a lot more mining done. Or, if Gems could just be converted into units, I'd probably risk the mining (terrible computer). Like, "I found a gem, cool." I can't really convert it to shmuckers, but I can trade it for shmuckers. OR, I can use the gem to pop a unit. Big and Rare Gems will still trade for shmuckers, because if I can get $250 in store credit from a Huge Purple Gem, I would. But, my dinky peach gem isn't doin' nuffin', and I would love another Orly. (Edit: I just thought of this: Being able to then send our mine-capable units into the mines to level up? Higher level units have an increased chance to find Gems? There's an opportunity to build the heck outta this mining thing and build a whole game around it.)

I know the units are a LOT more work to model than gems. I get it. But, if I had more than a gem to look at, I'd be more willing to engage in an auction or trade house. It currently feels like a Gacha system, but we're all collecting the little capsules, knowing that there's nothing inside it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:06 am 
    Burley I just saw your avatar- is that a OotS Ettin in Xykon's acid tank? If so- Awesome!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:36 am 
    Skull the Troll wrote:
    Burley I just saw your avatar- is that a OotS Ettin in Xykon's acid tank? If so- Awesome!

It is an OotS style avatar that somebody made for me yeeeaaars ago. But, it's supposed to be the Two-Headed Boy from Neutral Milk Hotel's song Two-Headed Boy.

I was really obsessed with that song and somebody put so much effort into making that avatar for me. I'll use it forever. :D

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:09 pm 
    Burley wrote:
    Skull the Troll wrote:

It is an OotS style avatar that somebody made for me yeeeaaars ago. But, it's supposed to be the Two-Headed Boy from Neutral Milk Hotel's song Two-Headed Boy.

I was really obsessed with that song and somebody put so much effort into making that avatar for me. I'll use it forever. :D

Thats good too, its a great song!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld