Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:46 am 
This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
:tv: Good evening boils and ghouls! :tv:

Congratulations on surviving last year's Halloween Competition (and thank you to those who did not press charges)! On the plus side, we now have a sprightly staff of pickled Uncroaked to help with this year's preparations. :wanda:

Speaking of which, now is the time to start preparing your fanfic frights, artistic atrocities, lyrical lascerations, and other unclassifiable oddities for consideration to win a prize!

Categories are: art (comics and one off fan art), fan fiction (stand alone and multi-part), song & poetry (original and redone song lyrics), and "other" (for those things which defy classification! Mwahahaha!)

While many of you mad (social) scientists may find transgressing against the laws of Man and Titan to be it's own reward, participants in each category stand a chance to win:
  • :wanda: First prize of 100 Shmuckers;
  • :charlie: Second prize of 50 Shmuckers;
  • :stanley: Third prize of 25

Now, as much as I love to be judge, jury, and executioner --oh, don't I ever!-- it sometimes takes a (cannibal) village to get things done. If you would like to help judge entries*, or even sweeten the prize pot, feel free to PM me to discuss the details.

And here's the rules, reprinted from last year's contest because they worked pretty good and they helped absolve us of all charges in court. :charlie:

1. Theme: Just to emphasize, this is a Halloween / Erfworld themed competition. Scary stories, creepy art, spooky Edgar Alan Poe poetry, pictures of your Hamstard porch Pumpkin; all of them can compete in their respective category.
1.1. Brother Mirtillo Corollary: Non-scary stuff like costume parties, or from other cultures like the Day of the Dead celebration, are also acceptable if it's evocative of the Halloween spirit.
2. Tone: Again, creepy, scary, irreverent, even gross out is okay. Just keep it classy, this isn't about gorn.
3. Finish date: The competition is open until the stroke of midnight for October 30th. Anything posted on 12:01 AM of October 31st will have to wait for 2018.
4. Entries: You can submit multiple times for each category, but only one of them will win a prize. Similarly, if you feel inspired to make a multi-part story, only the first part will be judged, so make sure it's got a good hook.
5. Submitting: Entries, or links to them, must be posted in this thread in order to be considered, though I do encourage you to post your story/art/poetry/interpretive dance on the Submission's and/or the Fiction subform so it has more visibility.

Any questions or clarifications can be asked here or sent via PM.

Well, that's all, fright knights and scream queens, we all look forward to your malevolent masterpieces. :twisted: :tv:

* (All applicants to judge must be handy with an axe, have a strong back, and the constitution to dig 6 feet in hard earth, Dirtamancy, or the Digging Special) :charlie:

Here's my Erfics: Hungry Jungle. -- Completed!

The Overlord's New Clothes -- Two parter, Completed

Unjust Deserts -- Completed!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:20 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Spicymancer wrote:
    3. Finish date: The competition is open until the stroke of midnight for October 30th. Anything posted on 12:01 AM of October 31st will have to wait for 2018.

Timezone?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:53 pm 
    This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Jaxad0127 wrote:
    Spicymancer wrote:

Timezone?

The Twilight Time Zone.*

*aka Central Time. ;) It's still the same answer from when you asked last year, but points for persistence. :lol:

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:20 pm 
    Bump because it's October.

Also (puts on reverse psychology cap :think: ) I'm sure happy no one is posting anything, it means I get to keep aaaaaaaall those Shmuckers to myself. Yep. I'm just going to put them in a big pile and swim in them, Scrooge McDuck style, secure in the knowledge no one will pull the drain of my money bin or have a daring scary heist planned. :charlie:

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:37 pm 
    This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a Tool! This user has been published! This user got funny with a rodent Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Don't get too comfortable in that bin. ;)

I'm writing a story this year. Unfortunately, Igor's on vacation, or else I'd have someone to (literally) lend me a hand. No matter -- I shall unleash my ultimate creation!

See y'all in a week or two.

---

I have a fanfiction archive here and a DeviantArt page -- including Erfworld fanart this site hasn't seen -- here!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:38 am 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user has been published! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary Shiny Red Star Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    I'm making a "Raven" inspired Charlescomm picture. Will post it this Saturday, Titans willing. Hint: http://archives.erfworld.com/Book%203/93

It's my fanfiction. :)

My erf PC game (first test version): Jack Attack Give it a go.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:10 pm 
    Brother Mirtillo wrote:
    Don't get too comfortable in that bin. ;)

youngstormlord wrote:
    I'm making a "Raven" inspired Charlescomm picture. Will post it this Saturday, Titans willing. Hint: http://archives.erfworld.com/Book%203/93

Curses! Foiled again! If it hadn't been for you meddling kids, I would have gotten away with it too! :mrgreen:

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:50 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! This user has been published! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Just saw this. Excited to participate! I've even adjusted my signature to promote the competition, since I'm interested in what others come up with.

I've got a few ideas, but I'm not sure if they really fit the theme. Here's one idea I've worked on, and two stories I've wanted to write for a while, but I'd appreciate any and all feedback about whether these ideas fit or if I should continue brainstorming:

- Erfworld shirt designs for my son Charles (Halloween costume connection?)
    - How would you react if all you coping mechanisms for pain were magically removed all at once? (scary as boop to me, maybe not so much to others)
    - Being on the receiving end of the plagues of Exodus

Thoughts?

Jack's Shadow - Costume Art(well, maybe not art)
    It's Yer Berth Day - Exploiting Falling Story

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:43 pm 
    This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a Tool! This user has been published! This user got funny with a rodent Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    You inspired me to re-learn how the deuce to edit my signature. Halloween spirit: intensifying.
    HighJumper wrote:
    - How would you react if all you coping mechanisms for pain were magically removed all at once? (scary as boop to me, maybe not so much to others)

Thoughts?

Them's some ideas, certainly, and here's my (hopefully) minimum of backseat-drive:

- Potentially cute! though I bet it'd be even more impressive if it's a full character costume, not just a shirt. (Of course, those are sometimes the same thing.)
    - AFAIK, all horror involves something the character can't deal with. I won't ask for your specifics, lest here be spoilers, but it basically sounds like a scary thing that had its scariness suppressed until recently. That'd fit here exactly as well as would the "thing" that you pick.
    - ...Is that going to involve direct divine intervention? (no spoilers) Also, if we're directly comparing to the Bible: the pharaoh knew why the plagues happened and was (until afterward) more angry than afraid. The populace, on the other hand...

---

I have a fanfiction archive here and a DeviantArt page -- including Erfworld fanart this site hasn't seen -- here!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:51 am 
    This user has been published! Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    My muse was busy today. One entry for the prose category.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:48 am 
    HighJumper wrote:
    Just saw this. Excited to participate! I've even adjusted my signature to promote the competition, since I'm interested in what others come up with.

Brother Mirtillo wrote:
    You inspired me to re-learn how the deuce to edit my signature. Halloween spirit: intensifying.

Thanks for sigging the contest! :D

HighJumper wrote:

Thoughts?

I can't really tell you what to write as that'd be unfair, but I can say:

• Shirt designs would apply, but only if its (for a/part of a) Halloween costume.
    • Sounds like pretty good horror story, it'd apply just fine.
    • Ouch, yeah, definite horror too.

Regarding the two stories, both can participate but only one will be considered for a prize.

Twofer wrote:
    My muse was busy today. One entry for the prose category.

Very nice. I'll reserve a full comment until the contest ends, but you set us off to a great start. :tv:

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:36 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    HighJumper wrote:

Thoughts?

You might have to rework the ones that affected the food supply, like the plagues of locusts, dead fish in the river, and so on. In Erfworld you either get enough to eat (and drink?), or you croak. In practice I think a lot of the plagues would amount a tax on the Ruler - making him pop more rations direct from the treasury.
    On the other hand, losing your firstborn son is much worse in Erfworld - losing your Heir at the wrong time can land you in a real pickle, as Slately found.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:57 pm 
    This user has been published! Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    HighJumper wrote:

It's definitely possible to make that sort of thing legitimately scary, but be mindful, and be willing to adapt or throw parts away if they don't work. The plagues were ruinous to an agrarian society, but, except the last one, mostly just kind of inconvenient to a modern audience ("It's a plague, you moron!").

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:54 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! This user has been published! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Thanks for your feedback, everyone. It was really helpful in making my decision that those ideas don't really fit the tone of the competition, at least in the way I feel I should write them. There's other perspectives I want to stress too much, so I'm pushing them down the queue in favor of some new ideas.

An Erfworld character Halloween costume idea led to a pretty awesome story idea that seems appropriately scary, and an Erfworld parody of a Halloween song popped into my head that has developed into needing a multimedia format to properly present, so they're pretty complicated. And of course I have no overdue homework, pending exams, unjust parking tickets, or familial responsibilities to juggle, so I'm definitely going to be able to complete these ideas momentarily. It's not like I'm posting a summary of my ideas instead of actual entries in hopes that revealing my ideas will motivate me to make them a reality. Or like I did that for my less related ideas.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:11 am 
    In the meantime, my Erfworld designs for my son are basically variations on the one image I'll share, which hardly counts as a creation or an entry, especially since Jade's Charlescomm crest is integral to indicating the Erfworld element.

The part of Charlie's eyebook handle that I used is hilarious to me, but I don't know how many people would independently make the connection to the story of Pericles, ruler of Athens during its Golden Age, who said his infant son ruled the city because he ruled Athens, his wife ruled him, and the infant ruled her.

Attachments:
    File comment: Crest + NChrg
    NChrg1.png
    NChrg1.png [ 137.96 KiB | Viewed 810 times ]

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:36 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    HighJumper wrote:
    An Erfworld character Halloween costume idea led to a pretty awesome story idea that seems appropriately scary, and an Erfworld parody of a Halloween song popped into my head that has developed into needing a multimedia format to properly present, so they're pretty complicated.

Just the lyrics presented appropriately in text with a link to the music should be enough for a submission.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:45 pm 
    Done and done -- Field Units for the fan-fiction category.

EDIT: ...okay, it's come to my attention that there's a spelling error or two. As long as I change them before the 31st, that's still legit, right?

---

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:50 pm 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user has been published! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary Shiny Red Star Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Here's my entry. Inspired by "The Raven", it features Lilith and Charlie, with a cameo from Wanda.

http://www.erfworld.com/blog/view/57266/the-lilith

It took a while, I'm not really that good with poetry.
    The words, they run from me, they run from me.
    I tried to write a symphony, but I lost the melody,
    Alas I only finished half, and I'm worried it will make you laugh. :)

I still need to finish the picture to go with the lyrics, I guess, but you can probably imagine it from archives. I'll try to do it before the deadline, but otherwise, this entry could stand on its own.

It's my fanfiction. :)

My erf PC game (first test version): Jack Attack Give it a go.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:49 am 
    Yay! Thank you Brother Mirtillo and youngstormlord! :D

Brother Mirtillo wrote:
    Done and done -- Field Units for the fan-fiction category.

EDIT: ...okay, it's come to my attention that there's a spelling error or two. As long as I change them before the 31st, that's still legit, right?

Of course, as long as it's before the croakline. ;) I plan to repeat last year's "process" and re-read them all fresh on the days after the 31st, to have a better head for comparing them.

youngstormlord wrote:
    Here's my entry. Inspired by "The Raven", it features Lilith and Charlie, with a cameo from Wanda.

http://www.erfworld.com/blog/view/57266/the-lilith

It took a while, I'm not really that good with poetry.
    The words, they run from me, they run from me.
    I tried to write a symphony, but I lost the melody,
    Alas I only finished half, and I'm worried it will make you laugh. :)

I still need to finish the picture to go with the lyrics, I guess, but you can probably imagine it from archives. I'll try to do it before the deadline, but otherwise, this entry could stand on its own.

Poetry is not my forté, so I'll just say that was a "ravenin' mad" entry. ;)

Somewhat related, was it a dove at the very core of Lillith's mind? I found it hard to tell since I'm not keen on birds, and her soul bird was bright red... :|

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:11 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool!
    viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13897&p=227048#p227048

Posting my most recent chapter of the Vicar of Diddly here. I figured the concept of the chapter was suited to this contest. And the Deadline is what inspired (i.e. forced) me to complete it.

When writing it I asked myself In a world where everything seems familiar and safe, what do their camp-fire stories look like?

Spoiler: show
    Public domain children songs, with spooky delivery!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld