Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post subject: $2000
 Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:30 am 
We're perilously close to $2000 and getting Rob to sing and dance for us. Are there any plans to help push us over the precipice? What about pledge and withdraws, you know, like pledging the needed 130.87 and then withdrawing the money?

And what's going on with the ad revenue? I'm considering buying and reselling the Titan tier ads at ~2000 a year.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post subject: Re: $2000
     Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:24 am 
    Welp, inb4 ban. I'll hold it to Friday, but I'm sure Rob won't honor me gaming the system. My donation's about $140, so try to get us past that level by then.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:55 pm 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Why in the world would you (or anyone) donate, for instance, $140, and then 'withdraw' it?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:22 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    OneHugeTuck wrote:
    Why in the world would you (or anyone) donate, for instance, $140, and then 'withdraw' it?

Probably to trigger one of the rewards. I recall at some point it saying that a certain reward gets triggered the first time it's reached only, regardless of if it goes back under.

This is just greedy and stupid.

Firstly, it's dishonest. These milestones are probably designed specifically with budgets in mind. To have it there and then suddenly not could ruin a lot of things. It's probably why Patreon and the like work better with multiple people making small donations, like the current toolshed average of about $1 per person.

Secondly, it's not like the rewards are some achievement to unlock. They're physical things that need to be made like the playing cards, and a book. They won't be available immediately.

Thirdly, there was a condition somewhere in the Toolshed about how you only qualify for certain rewards if you remain a Tool for 6 weeks prior/past hitting the milestone. I'd have to read it again, but I think sudden dropping of tier would disqualify you from something.

Fourthly, isn't selling ad space is what the Toolshed is trying to get away from?

Lastly, this is Fair Use not Rules As Written. It doesn't matter that, for example, Complete Scoundrel's Nimble Charge lets you run over clouds, no sane DM is going to let you do it. If you're blatantly abusing the system, you aren't going to get away with it and probably result in it coming down harder on other people.

My blog

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:58 pm 
    Actually, I was hoping the threat of dropping below 2000 and creating issues for everyone would spur others to donate. I actually ended up talking with staff and pledging a commitment of $280 as a result of the intended boost and replace, even if we had ultimately agreed for me not to game the donation system that way. The discussion over subletting Titan ads also resulted in a veto, but I am still considering if I might be involved in certain activist causes that might be interested in subsidizing my Titan status.

As to Mr. Knavigator, I hereby poke you with a Miracle Pole. I hope you have something other than Shockamancy to get me with. I'm posting this thread because we're near $2000, and it'd be nice if someone would try to draw more donors in to boost us past the 2k (208,000 a year) point, and unfortunately, I seem to be the only Erfworld viewer that cares about this target right now. Beyond merely declaring my intended actions OP, something the Erfworld staff has already done, why don't you try to figure out some way to resolve the underlying issue?

Let me make this clear, the reason I'm interested in gaming the system is because I'm a combo carny-mancer / moneymancer. I liked the economic arbitrage opportunity from reselling the Titan ads, and I wanted to see what the response would be to boosting us past $200 this way. I could actually care less about the loot; while I appreciate the work Xin et al put into the work, I find having pin-ups, postcards and shit somewhat declasse. The playing cards are not something I care about at all.

Last edited by Inst on Fri May 19, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:05 pm 
    Let me clarify further: the reason I'd pledge $140 and then withdraw the pledge is because I can't afford the associated $14560 in total donations per year. I can definitely afford a two-off $280, but not a constant $14560. And I have pledged to dispose of $280 on top of ordinary knight-level donations.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:55 am 
    Inst wrote:
    Let me clarify further: the reason I'd pledge $140 and then withdraw the pledge is because I can't afford the associated $14560 in total donations per year. I can definitely afford a two-off $280, but not a constant $14560. And I have pledged to dispose of $280 on top of ordinary knight-level donations.

There's no fixed capital that they're trying to raise, it's meant to be a perpetual income stream to support ongoing development. If you want a once off payment watch out for Kickstarter projects like when they did the cards (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... elebrate-1)

Also, Shockamancy? Ain't no Motion in my Matter. That was all Signamancy.

Peace Out.

My blog

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:19 am 
    Actually, my point is that you're reminiscent of a particular lynch mob backed mainly by shockamancy. But w/e, you drop it, I drop it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:17 pm 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    There's a big difference between 'Let's artifically pass the $2000 mark!' and 'Let's increase readership as that will increase pledgership' (or, I guess, 'let's increase the amount of donors in the existing readership base', depending on how you meant that.)

"Let me make this clear, the reason I'm interested in gaming the system is because I'm a combo carny-mancer / moneymancer."

Heh. There's a reason nobody likes carnymancers. Which you may have just made real life example of. Happily pushing an obviously bad/unsustainable/artificial/unethical/iffy plan while everybody around you is going 'Uhhhh, no?'.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:18 pm 
    I'd like to reiterate that it's easier just to dogpile me than to address the underlying problem, and with that, I'll leave the thread.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:58 pm 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Inst wrote:
    I'd like to reiterate that it's easier just to dogpile me than to address the underlying problem, and with that, I'll leave the thread.

Nobody's dogpiling you and people are adressing the underlying problem, which is, Team Erfworld doesn't actually get paid $2000+ per update your way. (I'm selling bridges btw, contact me if you're interested.) Even if you did it your way, the most you can expect is a post from Rob "expect us to work on Milestone rewards when we have free time", which probably won't be until it's reached in a legit way.
    If you want to convince people to pledge / up pledges, you can do that directly. Or, you could've simply done what you wanted without mentioning it first, made up a story about how you got drunk like a Russian and got this GREAT idea of giving Erfworld over 1k per month, and encouraged others to gib moneyz plox to keep Milestone 4. That's how you carny.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:44 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Top troll thread.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:50 pm 
    CDS wrote:
    Top troll thread.

Not quite. Needs more Dwagons.

My blog

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:58 am 
    I'm going to admit that I do watch the pledge stats with a certain amount of interest. They do fluctuate, and this clearly reflects a certain amount of adjustment of pledge amounts after a few updates, as well as people dropping out entirely.

I'm sorry that your particular suggestion was not well-received, Inst, but I would like to thank you for thinking about how to support the comic team. A regular and fairly reliable cash stream made up of an aggregate of many readers making small pledges per update is the model Rob has selected, and it has benefits. But an occasional lump sum isn't a bad thing, just not the same thing as a regular income.

Do be aware that the creative team would need some time to normalize the budget increase to allow them to respond with significant increases in the amount of time/resources dedicated to delivering additional content. The Erfworld budget supports a small and dedicated team, but however small it is more than just one person, and these people often face choices between dealing with certain IRL (as in, not strictly related to publishing the comic) issues by spending money or spending time (or some mix). If they have more money, they can decrease the amount of time they need to spend to some extent and thus have more time to work on the comic (though not infinitely, of course). Short-term windfalls, however welcome, do not have the same effect on being able to reliably spend money rather than time to deal with distractions from producing Erfworld content.

I hope you can continue to enjoy and support Erfworld.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:36 pm 
    $280 transferred, $20 more than I should have. Indignation is a relatively cheap emotion, and we're now bordering $1800 from almost $1900 at peak. What have you done for Erfworld lately?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:52 pm 
    Heh, it's hard to say. I really don't know what I do for Erfworld as opposed to against it. I'm not even precisely sure of everything I do in relation to it.

I wish I could change that but apparently I'm not supposed to do so.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld